First purchase- put myself in a bind with finances.

First purchase- put myself in a bind with finances.

Investor · Northern Wisconsin · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 9 votes

I've been lurking for about a year, reading blogs, forums, listening to podcasts anytime I'm on the road. I've learned a TON! Thanks BiggerPockets!

So as we all know, the best lessons come from experience, and the intent is to mitigate our losses while learning these lessons, correct? Kind of a one step back, two step forward type of deal. Sometimes more like 6 steps back and 6 1/2 forward but hey, we're learning. I'm reaching out to you for guidance in minimizing my losses and taking those two steps forward.

Here's the situation-

June 29th 2018- Purchased a local mobile home park that included a 4-plex, duplex, SFR and 18 lots, under half full, 52% vacancy rate. This property spent it's last 10+ years under neglected ownership, poor management, bad tenants. I think only 3 of the tenants paid ANY rent for all of 2017. Most of you have seen these situations a hundred times.

I bought the park for $225,000 with an additional $80,000 line of credit for rehab capital.

We spent the rest of the summer moving in mobile homes, rehabbing the 4-plex, repairing water/sewer, etc.

Here's where the lessons really begin...

January 1st 2019- All $80,000 of rehab capital is long gone. 33% vacancy. Gross rents $6,400. 

This isn't easy to admit but we're running month to month trying to keep up on bills now. It seems that each month we pay out more than we take in for rehabbing, repairs and unexpected costs. It's not so bad that I feel like we're going to lose it, we're definitely gaining ground, but bad enough that I need to make a change.

Please help me get out of this! Any suggestions for building up reserves? How much should I have set aside for a project like this? Do I need to be more patient and rehab less? All thoughts and questions appreciated :)

6Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 303 posts · 240 votes
7y

 The units that you have right now that are rented will they pay the monthly bills? If they will pay the bills then I would leave that money alone to keep the park going. I would start seeking additional funds elsewhere to raise capital to do rehabs. If the park is self-supporting without you doing rehabs then I would slow down On any expenses going out.I would make a list of the rehabs that need the least amount of money spent on them to make them to where they cash flow and come up with a figure sort of like well $5000 will get unit 21 to where we can rent it out. And I would start coming up with a plan with goals and be very specific with the timeline also

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Northern Wisconsin · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt P.:

    @Page Rosenlund could you sell a mobile home to get a few thousand to get your closest quad or SFR unit ready? Getting something rented will help on the monthly out flow of cash. Even if you sell it for less than it's worth to get a quick sale and some cash in your pocket. Also, focus on one unit until it's ready to rent.

     Yeah I probably could, I'd have to sell at a steep discount but maybe it'd be worth it. Unless I sold one that's already rehabbed and rented out....

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
    7y

    @Page Rosenlund Sell something bro. Once you get the permanent structures rolling you can look to getting the mobile home side taken can of IMO.

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Page Rosenlund Congrats on taking the leap into MHPs and for being humble enough to ask for help when you are out of your depth. 

    The situation seems bad, but not dire. You've over extend a bit and are under capitalized. What makes this go from bad to failure is getting foreclosed on, ie not making your debt payment. 

    Your main issue is capital. Not to get to basic, but you get capital in three ways, sell assets, sell equity, or take on debt. 

    It seems like debt is out of the question for you since the CF is already thin and with the upcoming IO period expiring, increasing the monthly payments will make a bad situation way worse. 

    Not knowing your goals makes giving advice hard, but I'd take a look a what level of cash flow you need to safely service the full p&I debt payment and work backwards from there to see if selling homes or taking on another investor makes the most sense. You aren't going to be able to do everything at once, so you'll have to think long and hard about the best order to fix up the units to come up with a plan that won't increase your risk of defaulting. 

    One thing that I've found with selling MHs, is that in theory handyman specials sound good, in reality they are not so hot. As you've discovered, most people aren't that handy and the homes stay just as you left them, which makes your park look bad. I like to fix the home up to  above average for that park and sell it off. That way I'm improving my main asset, the park. 

    Good Luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Gothenburg, NE · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 111 votes
    7y

    @Page Rosenlund

    Will the zoning allow you to rent out any of the empty spots to rv owners for some quick revenue? If there is any kind of work going on in the area there may be workers needing a spot to park their units.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Page Rosenlund

    From what I understand, you would get the cash flow from leasing the mobile home owners the land under their home. That would help with the cash flow issue you’re having.

  • Investor · Northern Wisconsin · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt P.:

    @Page Rosenlund Sell something bro. Once you get the permanent structures rolling you can look to getting the mobile home side taken can of IMO.

     Sage advice Matt.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.