I like to turn my property into a halfway house

I like to turn my property into a halfway house

Rental Property Investor · Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes

Can you guys help me I like to turn my property into a halfway house for ex convicts to rehabilitate as they transition into the workplace. Can someone share their experience? What’s the name of the agency and where would I start? I’m open to any suggestions. Thank you

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

San Marcos, TX · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 17 votes
7y

Hey Martin,

I would reccomend reaching out to an organization called Oxford House. I am familiar with them in the Austin area. They are democratically run by the people staying in the house and most cities have a chapter. They are a non profit organization. They run themselves so you would not have to be involved with the comings and goings of each person staying the. I have had the same idea in the past and if I was going to go that route it would definitely be through Oxford. Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Its not passive . By any means . There are a bunch in my area fro recovering addicts . They make money . 

  • Rental Property Investor · Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Paul any suggestions on where I can start to offermy property as a rental to them?

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Make sure your zoning allows for it. In Philadelphia there is a special designation for rooming houses. They can't be just anywhere.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2018 · 655 posts · 900 votes
    7y

    @Martin Perdomo

    I assume you are in Pennsylvania by your signature.

    If you are I would start at the 

    Pennysylvania Board of Probation and Parole Transitional Housing Unit

    Go to their website and look up Transitional housing unit.  I tried to post their contact information but BP wouldn't let me.

    Good Luck!

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Martin Perdomo  do a search or recovery houses .  rules are different all over 

  • Rental Property Investor · York Haven, PA · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    @Martin Perdomo

    Aside from the above recommendations, make sure that you're in an area with access to public transportation and shopping amenities.  

    I know someone in my PA area who was doing a similar thing for women, but it was in a semi-rural area!  Good intentions, but not well thought out.  They bought the house, got it all ready only to find it wasn't viable as a halfway house.  No public transport, nearest grocery 10 miles away.  The folks you're trying to help won't have cars.  Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Max T. My property is in the city of Scranton. I will calling tomorrow to find out the rules

  • Rental Property Investor · Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Damaso Bautista super valuable information. Thank you very much

  • Rental Property Investor · Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Paul thank you sir

  • Rental Property Investor · Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Michelle Shriver thank you Michelle my property is near the steam town mall in Scranton walking distance to all shopping and public transportation. I will look into it tomorrow morning.

  • San Marcos, TX · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Hey Martin,

    I would reccomend reaching out to an organization called Oxford House. I am familiar with them in the Austin area. They are democratically run by the people staying in the house and most cities have a chapter. They are a non profit organization. They run themselves so you would not have to be involved with the comings and goings of each person staying the. I have had the same idea in the past and if I was going to go that route it would definitely be through Oxford. Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Timothy Paul russell thank you brother really appreciate the lead

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 935 votes
    7y

    Turning your property into a recovery/halfway house is more than just the property.  It is a business that usually requires licensing, staffing, etc.  You could lease your property to a business that does this, but need to consider who/how it will operate in addition to zoning, parking, security, etc.  For sure, your neighbors will hate you if your property is in a typical suburban environment.

    Talk with your township to get some good guidance on what your current zoning allows and how to start.  Opiod recovery is huge right now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.