• New England
Votes |
I'm feeling like a bad person.

Chris Hanisco
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New England
Posted Feb 15 2019, 16:41

Hi all,

I'm new here. I'm technically not a landlord yet, but I made an offer on a duplex and it was accepted today. I'm having it inspected this Wednesday. I plan to live there with my two sons and rent out half. I'm feeling bad about something, and I'm hoping some of you can tell me that I'm doing the right thing.

There are month-to-month tenants on each side, and I plan to have the property be vacant at closing. 

Here's why I feel bad....
My 13-yo son is (sort of) friends with a tenant's son, and he (the tenant's son) thinks we are moving in next door and everything is going to be peachy. (My son knew my offer was accepted before I was even able to tell him the news, because this kid told him first at school.) I don't know the parents.

I would be okay with keeping them as tenants except for the following reasons:

1. They wouldn't let us in the see their side the other day even with almost a weeks notice. (I felt this showed that they were not respecting their landlord.)

2. The yard is a mess with broken down stuff and debris. It looks like they don't respect the property.

3. They have 2 large dogs. I like dogs, but I don't want them barking and pooping in the yard, and I worry about fleas and shedding and damage.

4. The amount that they pay in rent is about $400-600/mo less than it should be. (Especially once I remodel.)

5. The boy told my son that their current landlord is an a**hole  - one reason being that he starts a lawsuit if they are late with their rent. (This tells me they have been late with their rent and think it's no big deal.)

So, I know there are so MANY reasons to make them go, but the "mom" in me feels bad - especially since there are few if any rentals in our little school district. And maybe I'm wrong and they are wonderful people and overwhelmed with life. I know I am! 

I know I can't let this bother me. This is an investment and a "business". Plus, I need the rent higher to even make this work. My boys and I come first. How do I handle this delicately? I need a pep talk if anyone is willing. Thanks.

Loading replies...