The forums and podcasts never prepare you for this…..

The forums and podcasts never prepare you for this…..

Rental Property Investor · Gunnison, CO · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 99 votes

Apart from a changed name, this is a true post. The incident happened last Friday night. The write up is divided into three sections. The story, The Aftermath, and The Lessons.

---

Bang, Bang, BANG! It’s midnight, my wife (8 months pregnant) and I have been asleep for hours, and someone is slamming on our bedroom window.

Confused, but now full alert I rush to the backdoor. Looking out, I lock eyes with one of our residents, Mike. He is wild-eyed and shirtless on a negative 12-degree night. As soon as he sees me he starts yelling, “Help, call 911, call 911!”

We live on a large property with four individual homes. And although we are friendly with all of our resident neighbors, we keep the relationship strictly professional. Rent is all taken care of online, as are any maintenance requests, etc. In short, we treat them in the same professional manner as any of our other tenants.

Any of these resident/owner barriers were out the window though. This is a fellow human in need of help.

I rip open the door and see that his shirt is in his hand, pressed over his chest. Blood is dripping down.

“I’ve been stabbed” he stammers.

The room grows incredible small as every neuron is firing on full. I close and lock the door behind him; he collapses to the floor.

“Breath Mike, breath…”

He is awake and conscious, but clearly running on adrenalin. The color is draining from his face.

I grab the phone. “Hello, 9-1-1…”

The police arrive first and immediately separate us. The questions come rapid fire:

“Who did this? Are they still in the house? What time did this happen?

Motioning to our knife block, the officer questioning me asks if I stabbed Mike with one of the knifes.

He’s just doing his job I know, but a new, deeper feeling grips me. Is this how innocent people go to jail?

When the two officers convene is clear Mike was able to provide them with good information. I hear them call in a vehicle description and a name. A jealous ex-lover of Mike’s girlfriend. Someone he had filed a complaint against 3-week prior for threatening .

The paramedics are here by now and I cannot tell from their casual demeanor if everything is okay, or of they are pretending for Mike’s benefit. The last thing he says as they bring him out the door is, “I am fading…”

Family first, I head to my wife and together we practice some of the breathing techniques we’ve been readying for the impending birth. Deep breath in, hold, hold, nice slow exhalation….

A half hour later brings me to the hospital. I bring an extra sweatshirt for Mike, his is still laying, bloody on our kitchen floor (the police came and collected it the next morning).

The hospital can tell me very little, other than it doesn’t look good. “He is very sick” is the euphemism they use. He’s going to be flight-for-life’d to a larger hospital, one better equipped to handle this type of injury.

For some reason, I sit at the hospital and wait until I hear the helicopter. Knowing there is nothing else I can do, I slowly walk to my car.

AFTERMATH

Mike lived. He is still in the hospital, in critical but stable condition. The knife missed his heart by two centimeters but it hit an artery. The doctors had to break open his chest and perform emergency surgery. They have told him to expect a 7-month recover time.

The jealous ex-lover was caught within 30 minutes of the incident.

I changed the locks the next day on Mike’s house. One of the things he mentioned while laying on our floor was to not let anyone into his place. His girlfriend (not on the lease) tried to get in the next day and I said no. She was upset. When I was finally able to speak to Mike he confirmed that he didn’t want her in there. There was perhaps some cheating going on.

We only have a weekly paper here, so not sure what charges will be filed etc. I will know more on Thursday.

LESSONS

-We live in a small (6000 people), rural mountain town in Colorado. Apart from a stolen bicycle every now and again, not much happens here. It’s very chill. This can happen anywhere.

-I have systems for late rent, evictions, repairs, but nothing for the death of a resident. The time to be navigation that terrain is not while it is happening. I am now building out this system. I hope to never use it.

-Securing the property. I glossed over it above, but Mike’s girlfriend was really upset with us. Her boyfriend had been stabbed, was in the hospital and the big, bad landlord would not let her into his house. She tested my resolve, but ultimately we stayed strong and this was the right decision.

-Fatal wounds can have a surprisingly small amount of blood. The wound went deep not wide. Don’t underestimate.

-Additional residents. The lease was with Mike. As his girlfriend started to spend more and more time there we talked about having her do a background check. Ultimately we broke our system and didn’t follow our lease about number of days guests can stay per month before needed to do the full gamut. It may or may not have prevented this situation, but we won’t make that mistake again.

-Communication Plan. Neighbors began to call early the next day, curious about what happened, but mostly concerned that something went wrong with my wife’s pregnancy. My wife and I didn’t discuss what details we would reveal and what we wouldn’t. We got aligned quickly, but having a general communication plan for a resident incident already in place would have been helpful.

-Writing. I cannot express how cathartic it’s been to write this down. Thanks BP, I hope you got something out of it as well.

18Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
7y

Now that the drama is passed it's back to business. What is Mike's intent in regards to paying rent.  March is quickly approaching. 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Shaun M. WOW!! I felt like I was reading a movie script. How horrible. I'm glad that you were able to save your tenant's life and that the knife missed his heart! Also that they caught the psycho who did it. What luck he had. Nothing can prepare you for a moment like that. Lets hope it never happens again  =/  Congratulations on the upcoming baby!

  • Rental Property Investor · Gunnison, CO · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    @Elenis Camargo Super grateful they caught the guy. Crazy situation for sure. 

    Thanks for the baby congrats, super excited!

  • Rental Property Investor · Gunnison, CO · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    Oh, and an update-  the newspaper came out and when the guy was caught he was in possession of drugs with an intent to distribute. Specifics weren't listed but town rumor has it was meth! Crazy for such a small, mellow town. 

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Shaun M. Oh boy!! I can imagine all the small town talk! I'm glad all turned out well.

    And you're welcome! I am expecting a baby in July so I know how exciting it is  =D

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Shaun M. , what is your general communication plan for things like this? What did you come up with?

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    Now that the drama is passed it's back to business. What is Mike's intent in regards to paying rent.  March is quickly approaching. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    This kind of stuff can happen anywhere, anytime to anyone.  Great to have a plan in place.  But anyone can become a  "Mike".  Make sure you have a succession plan for your rentals/investments/family, and take the time to enjoy each and every day.  Amen.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gunnison, CO · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    @Thomas S. I have always appreciated your directness on the forums. 

    Mike and I spoke Wednesday of this week about this. It's simple, we are following the lease. Rent will be due as normal. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Gunnison, CO · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen, Great question. We are still building an official communication plan for incidents moving forward. 

    In the moment we essentially stuck to:

    We are okay (remember the police/EMS came to our house, so people assumed we were the ones in trouble)

    If they asked more questions (we all have "that" neighbor), we simply said something happened with Mike and we were able to help him out. 

    We only communicated openly with the people he placed on his hospital clearance list- direct family and his boss.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gunnison, CO · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    @Marc Winter. So true, and nicely put. Each and every day we get is a gift.

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I drive thought Gunnison all the time, your right about it being a small chill town, that’s likely a once in a lifetime event out there.

  • Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    Wow... incredible story(also well written, thank you.) I'm glad everyone is(/will be) okay. Interesting things to considering implementing in my own business. Thank you for sharing!!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    Now that the drama is passed it's back to business. What is Mike's intent in regards to paying rent.  March is quickly approaching. 

     I knew it was coming ..  LOL...

  • Rental Property Investor · Gunnison, CO · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    @Levi T. next time you come through, drop a note. Always happy to show a fellow BP'er the local MTB trails, rock climbing, etc. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Gunnison, CO · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Jeremy Trad, Best of luck in all you do!

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shaun M.:

    @Levi T. next time you come through, drop a note. Always happy to show a fellow BP'er the local MTB trails, rock climbing, etc. 

     Will do. Mtb is my game!

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    Now that the drama is passed it's back to business. What is Mike's intent in regards to paying rent.  March is quickly approaching. 

     I knew it was coming ..  LOL...

    “ I know you just had a near death experience like yesterday,  but how soon do you think you could get me some of those Benjamin‘s?  You know.. because the 1st is coming!” 😆

  • Rental Property Investor · Gunnison, CO · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 99 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Levi T.:
    Originally posted by @Shaun M.:

    @Levi T. next time you come through, drop a note. Always happy to show a fellow BP'er the local MTB trails, rock climbing, etc. 

     Will do. Mtb is my game!

     Sweet, let's shred! 

  • Lender · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 658 posts · 626 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    @Shaun M. , what is your general communication plan for things like this? What did you come up with?

    You don't have to be a landlord to experience this type of scenario. Your next-door neighbor knocks on your door because of a serious wound (might even have been a freak accident) or an errant driver jumps the curb and the car crashed into your bedroom. Mental rehearsal ahead of time (asking what-if and thinking through possible responses) might be the best way to deal with these possibilities. The same type of preparation is recommended for natural (hurricanes, earthquakes) and man-made disasters.

    The police will perform a courtesy welfare check. This requires they be notified by someone, such as a neighbor or family member, who notices something just isn't quite right. My next-door neighbor in California hadn't been seen for a few days and another neighbor decided to check in on him. He had suffered a stroke and wasn't in the best of conditions. He didn't want the world to know what he had been through (he was 90 years old). He had managed to retrieve his mail and newspapers somehow and seemed disappointed when 9-1-1 was called. He lived for another couple of years with in-home care.

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    crazy stuff. glad the guy made it so far.

    when is this podcast coming out? lol meanwhile, i will go and play some Bob Marley's "No woman no cry".

  • Real Estate Agent · Renton, WA · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 151 votes
    7y

    @Shaun M. Thanks for sharing as emergency procedures is things that we often overlook. Sounds like you did a great job of keeping your composure. Glad everyone is ok.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Bravo for being brave and helping your neighbor. I'm glad to hear your neighbor is ok. You probably saved his life. Another person may have froze in fear. Thank you for not freezing. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

    Well, you did post on BP so, maybe the only landlord lesson is to budget for crazy. It does bring up the question of what to do if a tenant passes. IMO, it's ok to stop being a landlord for a second and wait for the crazy to dissipate, as the humane thing to do. Yes this is a business, but it is also people business.

    Wow. Yes, you can put your heart back in your chest now. I wish Mike a speedy recovery.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    South Park?

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Your kid is going to be lucky...they have a dad that shows up when the crap hits fan.  We all need neighbors like you.

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Thomas S. @Jay Hinrichs

    Thomas S. = MY HERO

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.