new tenant wants a pet, I said no

new tenant wants a pet, I said no

Member since 2018 · 161 posts · 152 votes

We have a new tenant, has not yet moved in but has paid his first month rent and security deposit.  He signed the lease yesterday. 

We do not allow pets.  This was clearly stated in the listing and in the lease.  It was discussed at lease signing.  He is aware of this policy.

Now, he sent a request to have his sister's dog, a lab.  I replied with, "We do not allow pets in this home. Your sister will need to make other arrangements for dog."

I'm concerned that this guy may jump ship before he moves in.  However, he signed the lease. 

Our lease states:

  1. EARLY TERMINATION. Provided Resident has complied with all terms and conditions of this Lease Agreement, Resident may elect to terminate this Lease Agreement at any time during the term.In this event, Resident shall provide to the Owner an executed NOTICE OF INTENT TO VACATE (“Notice”).The Notice and all move-out procedures, including the return of any security deposit, shall conform to Policies.As compensation to Owner’s for Resident’s right to terminate this Lease Agreement, resident shall pay, on the day of move-out, to the Owner, an EARLY TERMINATION FEE, in an amount equal to THE GREATER OF a) two (2) months rent at the Monthly Rent stated in the Lease, OR b) two thirds of the remaining rent due on the balance of the Lease term or extension thereof (date of Notice to Vacate through the termination date of the Lease).

I really don't want to get off on the wrong foot with this guy.  but I'm not going to bend on the pet policy.

0Reply
34 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    I used to have the same policy. I now allow pets. I get more stable tenants because others don't allow them and I also get more rent. You don't have to bend on your policy but it is possible this guy will jump ship before he takes possession. 

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I would tell him now, before he moves in, that if he does wish to have a dog he should find a different place, and you can negotiate a mutually agreeable termination. You should make it clear that dogs are not allowed and will not be tolerated, and breaking the lease is grounds for eviction.

    I have a strong feeling that this tenant is planning on sneaking in the dog and hoping you don't notice. I would keep a close eye on him and do regular inspections. Of course, its also possible that the arduous task of moving apartments has caused him great emotional stress, and now his sister's dog is his new ESA.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Angela Smith Agreed with @Andrew B.. I think they will try to sneak in their dog. I have snuck in pets before back when I moved into my first place to avoid a pet fee. But then again the apartment lessor told me to just not put them on the application, so different story. Definitely re-iterate that you do not allow pets and if there ever is a pet in the home, they would be breaking the lease and it would be grounds for eviction. I would find a nice way to say this.

    Also as @John Thedford said, I used to not allow pets either but now I charge a $250 security deposit per pet that is refundable as long as they don't destroy the property. I would also charge for cats because in reality cats destroy more than dogs if there is carpet in the property. You can also charge a monthly pet rent fee if you want. So many Americans have pets nowadays but if your area has so much activity that you can pick from dozens of applicants, then I guess no need to worry about accepting pets.

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If he lied about the pet before moving in this is a sign that he'll be a problem tenant.  Cut your losses and let him find another place to live.  Liars are cheaters and more trouble than they are worth.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    I doubt it’s the sisters pet .. it his lab and he thought he’d sneak one by you on a technicality. Be firm if you don’t want pets . Stick to the lease he signed

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    It is not you that is getting off on the wrong foot it is your tenant. It's always the tenant, never the landlord, that wants to violate the lease.

    You are going to have issues with this tenant. If he wants out of the lease now just tell him what the penalty is. Keep his first months rent and deposit and be glade if he leaves. If he stays you are going to have to run your business like a prison camp. Do regular inspections, quarterly, and have a neighbour keep an eye on the place.  

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    If he only signed the lease yesterday, tell him if he wants out to let you know now but the terms of the lease are clear.  Also the deposit is non-refundable.

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y

    Cut your loses. It’s either his dog or his sisters. Either way he will try to keep it in your property.  

    If you want to allow pets, charge a pet fee that is not refundable. AND a monthly pet fee.  If your tenant wants a pet at least make it so you don’t lose money on the deal. 

    Also in your lease include something that says if a animal is found on the property rent and the fee is back dated to the beginning of the lease.  That way when they sneak it in and you eventually find it (always do inspections) then they have no choice but to pay it or face eviction for unpaid rent. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.