Roofers damaged the water pump and water leaked through.Help pls!

Roofers damaged the water pump and water leaked through.Help pls!

Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes

So last week I had hired a roofing company to replace my roof. While they were replacing it it started raining and the tart that they placed let water into my house. Now there are a few water spots on my ceiling.

Nothing too bad, but it’s there. While this happened, they left a box of nails in the roof which then fell and broken the water pump from the well.

They finished replacing the roof about a week ago, and they have yet to come back to fix the water spots in the ceiling or fix the pump. They haven’t asked me for a final payment yet.

I have spoken to them about it and they keep telling me it’s on their to do list. As I mentioned, it’s only been a week. Am I being impatient?

How long should I wait? Should I just keep bugging them about it? Or should I contact the main office about it?

Has anyone ever had to deal with this before?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

0Reply
38 views

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 270 posts · 187 votes
    7y

    I would call the main office. 

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    As long as you withhold payment, it is self escalating. When someone finally calls to complain you haven't paid, you can share the issues you have and that will get some attention. It shows good faith to reach out first, but at the end of the day you have their money. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    Contractors love to kick the can down the road. Call them and politely demand a definitive completion date. Also let them know they won't be paid for the job until the repairs are done.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Email the main office and include photos of the damage.  Be sure to state that you have been in contact with the local office who advised that your job is on their "to do list" - and that you expected more from their company.  This will provide you with documentation of the damage, your multiple requests for repair, and escalating your request to the main office.  The delay may also be due to another issue:  I seriously doubt that roofers can fix the water spots on your ceiling or fix your pump.  Go through the main office; if there is not an email posted, call and ask for it.  I hate that you experienced this...stay the course.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
    7y

    Get bids for the repair work...let them know if they can not fix what they damaged on their own that you will need to get the repairs done and back charge them.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Allen Lopez also consider whether you want the roofers repairing the inside of your house.

    A few years ago, a roofer fell through the upstairs ceiling while they were re-decking the roof.

    The guy who fell through was very apologetic and went to HD to get some drywall, sparkle, paint, etc. he started the project inside, and it was clear that he wasn’t a drywaller.

    I thanked him, and told him to finish the roof and I’d take care of the inside. He tried, but I knew I’d do a better job finishing it than he would. I wasn’t unhappy, hey, it happens... but I’m glad he didn’t do the drywall :)

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Allen Lopez

    Get all of your issues fixed immediately by a separate contractor and take those costs out of the balance of money that you owe them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Mark Fries

    So if I make the repairs, and pay out of pocket. How do I back charge them? Isn’t there any laws, breach of contract....ect

    I mean I completely agree I should do that but I need to know how to protect my self. I don’t want to spend 2-3k and then have to pay them anyways

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Allen Lopez

    You are worrying too much...just do what I suggested....you will come out fine.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Mark Fries

    Hahahahaha you are right I do. Thank you

  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Mark Fries

    So the good news is that they agreed that I get the pump repaired and they would payed for it. The bad news, is that they are refusing to pay for repainting the ceiling.

    So I got multiple quotes to repaint the ceiling, and the lowest quote was $3400. Unfortunately, because my tenants have so much stuff there the lowest quote I got was $3400. That would be repainting the living room (high ceilings),kitchen, hallway, and two rooms that had water spots.

    I was told that is the house was vacant, it would only be $1700.

    Anyways, they are refusing to pay $3400 for the ceiling damages (multiple water spots in multiple locations) saying they only the water spots need to be painted over. I keep telling them that that will look patchy since it will be nearly impossible to match the paint color. They are threatening me with putting a Lien on my house, and taking me to court.

    Has anybody ever had to deal with this or any advice?

    They want to bring in their own painters but I feel these will just be random people hired from the street. Additionally, if they damage the tenants stuff I will be held accountable.

    Any advice?

  • Investor · Lewisville, TX · Member since 2012 · 106 posts · 103 votes
    7y

    @Allen Lopez

    Do you have their insurance info? Maybe you can open a claim (or threaten to) and get their attention that way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes
    7y
    @Bill Crow That’s a good point. I do have their insurance information
  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Bill Crow

    So would you recommend just telling them that if they don’t pay for it I will file a claim with their insurance or should I just do it?

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Allen Lopez

    Dont ask, just do it

  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Mark Fries

    First I want to say thank you so so much for your help. Even that isn’t enough to express it.

    So I contacted there Insurance and in two days, I had someone calling me to get everything sorted out. They pretty much begged me not to file a claim with their insurance. They offer to pay whatever contractor I want to redo the ceiling and they offer me an additional $150 for my troubles. Yeah I know I’m cheap....lol

    But it’s a win for the small guy

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Allen Lopez

    Awesome

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.