Tenants w/o SSNs...legitimate?

Tenants w/o SSNs...legitimate?

Investor · York, PA · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 2 votes

Hi all,

This is my first post, I am a long-time reader of the site; quite impressed!

I am relatively new to the REI landscape also; we just bought an additional property, and our first we have owned for almost a year now.

Anyway, our current issue is that a good tenant decided he couldn't pay and he moved out w/o drama....no big deal.

We have some prospective tenants we would like to move forward with, except they are unable to produce a SSN, as they must have immigrated to the US at some point. The woman also says that her husband doesn't have a driver's license (yet apparently has a job and drives to/from said job). Thus far we haven't seen anything in the way of identification...this is the issue.

Obviously, this raises red flags. To note; I will not move forward with this unless I see some ID. My questions are as follows:

1) For those who immigrate but aren't US citizens, I assume I'm looking for a valid green card to identify the person(s)?

2) If they are in some way illegal immigrants, yet produce some sort of fake ID, are we, as landlords, breaking the law in any way if we rent to them? Is there a way to protect against this situation?

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

-John

0Reply
20 views

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 54 posts · 14 votes
    14y

    Hi John - you will (like me) find tons of really useful information here. As for the ID question, we sometimes run into this in my day job. Whenever they cannot produce a valid SSN or green card, then we do not rent to them at all.

    We have been told that as landlords we could be held liable on the immigration issue. We have properties throughout the Midwest and have been told this. Therefore, we don't even risk it.

    Also, the application system that we run will tell us if the presented SSN is valid. We had one applicant whose number belonged to a deceased person and he still couldn't understand why we didn't rent to him!!!!

    IMHO - don't rent to them - it just could open a big can of worms that isn't worth it!

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    14y

    Everyone who immigrates to the US legally has a SSN - otherwise if you have a work visa or green card how are you going to get a job? If they don't have a SSN, they're likely to be here illegally.
    Regarding the DL, some states have limitations and only issue the license to persons with SSN.

    I am an immigrant myself, I know all this stuff.

  • Investor · York, PA · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    Guys, thanks. I did a bit more digging and uncovered some information on the government's website.

    It would appear that there are situations where immigrants do not need a SSN, but those who are legitimately working do need a SSN.

    http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

    However, the situation still raises red flags. I will ask the prospective tenants what they can provide for ID. We have also called the employer, and are waiting a call back from them.

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    14y

    I have never rented to any illegal individuals, but have heard from many who have. They never call the health dept., complaining about things, they are more likely to pay the rent on time as well. If in doubt, request a bigger security deposit, among other cautions...

  • Investor · York, PA · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    Also...RE: FHA, I assume it is not discrimination to not rent to persons who may be here illegally?

    Concerns run through my mind such as...how would we evict, if ever necessary, if they are illegal? Would the legal system come back on us as landlords if it becomes known we were (unknowingly) renting to illegal immigrants?

    Lots of potential pitfalls run through my head with this situation. Any / all advice is much appreciated.

    To note: These people seem to check out in many respects. Apparently they have employment (good), neither have a criminal record (good). But we have no identification yet....

    Aside from the issues noted above, I would rent to them in a heartbeat.

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    Here in Utah, per the course I took, it's not against the law to rent to illegals. They are not a protected class, so you can discriminate if you'd like to... but you are also allowed to rent to them. For whatever reason, the law doesn't really treat "illegals" as "illegal".

  • Real Estate Investor · Venice, FL · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    I oppose illegal immigration and doing anything to encourage it. With that being said keep in mind that they could be deported at ANY time. Your house/apartment could also be the location where they are detained, which may include damage to the property in the detaining - and guess who gets left holding the bag?

    A nice house down the road from me was rented to illegals and they promptly moved in several other families. After they left (I don't know how or why) I managed to get a walk-through of this house that was once gorgeous. It was a disaster with kids drawings all over the wall, the floors a mess as if they were housing animals and 10's of thousands in damage to the property that was beyond the norm.

    One other thing to keep in mind, they won't report issues of maintenance to you such as leaks - they don't want to risk interacting with people. In the case above they didn't report leaking on the floors that could have been fixed for a hundred dollars. The floors were devastated.

  • Investor · York, PA · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    Guys, I agree with what you're saying. Couple of things:

    1) if we KNOW they are illegal immigrants, we will not rent to them, period. The issue here is if they fake that they are legal, when in fact they are not....this situation would be unbeknownst to us. That said, if I 'suspect' they are illegal immigrants, I have no grounds to not rent to them.

    2) Dan: the destruction situations you're mentioning above could happen with any tenant, legal or not. I agree with your point, however, when saying they are not likely to call about repairs. Plus, even those who are legally here with a green card, visa, etc etc, can be asked to leave the USA, at any time. I have heard of many cases where this occurred to perfectly legitimate persons who were here working and contributing to our economy, legitimately.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    14y

    About a year ago I had a couple apply for one of the rentals. The wife was from Brazil (and didn't speak a word of English) and when I ran the SS# from her app on a couple of "people search" sites it came back as "invalid", and I couldn't pull the credit report either. I ended up rejecting them due to something unrelated on the husband's application. I still don't know whether that was a fake SS# or she just made a mistake on the application. I suppose it could have been a brand new SS# and just hadn't hit the system yet.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    14y

    John,

    I don't mean to stereotype, but I would feel fine with it. I have had a lot of experiences with immigrants, and they will work harder than a natural born citizen. You will probably get your rent early every month and they will probably bring you others from the old country to rent form you.

    I know there are a lot of hard working Americans, but there are more hard working foreigners. Just saying!!

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    It all comes down to how strict or loose your rental policies are. Have your policies written and concise. Ideally, you would make the policies publicly available (e.g. on your web site) in case anyone challenged them.

    You can't screen without a SS number, so another alternative is to have the tenant get a clearance letter from DHS (Department of Homeland Security). We did this a few months ago...

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y

    I can't speak for others, but I will never give my ss# to anyone who I'm not legally required to provide it to. And landlords do not have the legal right to require a ss# from their tenants. Of course, landlords have the right to refuse tenants if they don't give an ss#, so it's up to you, but don't be surprised when someone you believe to be a citizen doesn't provide a ss#.

    That said, when I was renting, I was always happy to provide the landlord a current copy of my credit report and criminal background history that I pulled myself.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    I think I know what you mean... but "legally required"? The real estate commission requires a SS# on the application. If you will never give your ss# to anyone who you're not legally required to provide it, then you can't apply for a broker's license, most rentals, loans, etc.

    I think each person will decide when and where to use their personal information (SS#, birthdate, picture ID, finger print, etc.), and yes, landlords requiring SS# may miss out on "good" applicants. Likewise, landlords will devise policies that fit their needs. Screening the sex offender registry (using applicant's personal information, etc.) isn't legally required that I'm aware of, but many landlords have this policy in place.

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Dan A:
    I oppose illegal immigration and doing anything to encourage it. With that being said keep in mind that they could be deported at ANY time. Your house/apartment could also be the location where they are detained, which may include damage to the property in the detaining - and guess who gets left holding the bag?

    A nice house down the road from me was rented to illegals and they promptly moved in several other families. After they left (I don't know how or why) I managed to get a walk-through of this house that was once gorgeous. It was a disaster with kids drawings all over the wall, the floors a mess as if they were housing animals and 10's of thousands in damage to the property that was beyond the norm.

    One other thing to keep in mind, they won't report issues of maintenance to you such as leaks - they don't want to risk interacting with people. In the case above they didn't report leaking on the floors that could have been fixed for a hundred dollars. The floors were devastated.

    Ahhh... What a perfect example to support your political views. I wonder if it's really happened....

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Chris Martin:
    I think I know what you mean... but "legally required"? The real estate commission requires a SS# on the application. If you will never give your ss# to anyone who you're not legally required to provide it, then you can't apply for a broker's license, most rentals, loans, etc.

    From your three examples above, in accordance with The Privacy Act of 1974, both the real estate commission and the lenders are legally allowed to require ss numbers, assuming they provide the appropriate disclosures. Your only example of someone not legally allowed to require it is the landlord, and as I pointed out above, I won't give it to a landlord.

    Btw, most businesses that say they require a ss # just use it as a personal identifier (which is the most dangerous use from a consumer standpoint), and they are happy to provide another identifier if you ask them.

    Don't assume you have to give a ss # just because a business or agency asks for one. Know your rights to protect your identity.

  • SFR Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 484 posts · 181 votes
    14y

    Outside of the possible "illegal" issue is one that concerns me more as a landlord.
    If you don't have a driver's license or a soc #, how do you really know who you're renting to? They could have previous criminal convictions, evictions, etc and simply not want you to know about them.

  • Real Estate Investor · Venice, FL · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by George P.:

    Ahhh... What a perfect example to support your political views. I wonder if it's really happened....

    Indeed it did. Political or not, it's always wonderful to have people a few houses up from you, in a nice neighborhood, move several families in and park 3-4 pickup trucks that leak oil all over the street.

    The landlord got what he deserved by not properly screening and keeping track of his rental. It just seems to happen more with illegals because just crossing over they pool resources and don't know residential codes and laws (or don't care - as I would argue since they've already broken many already. Most use fake ssn and identities they can buy for under 100 bucks in most illegal alien enclaves in every city to obtain work and housing).

    It all can be avoided of course simply by proper screening.

  • Investor · York, PA · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    Hey guys, thanks for all the great replies.

    As it turns out, they have produced identification, but no SS#. The ID appears to be legitimate, and issued by the Mexican consulate in the United States. According to some verbage on the ID, this ID type is intended for Mexican persons living in the United States.

    They have given us a security deposit and they are set to move in on January 1st. They have a proven employment history also. We feel that at this point they are as big a risk as anybody else, so we have no reason to turn them away.

    thanks again everyone,

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    14y

    There is a town called Farmer's Branch in Texas that tried to pass a law making it illegal to rent to undocumented persons. I don't know if they passed the law or not, but that indicates to me that it is otherwise not illegal, at least in Texas. Of course, I am not a lawyer.

    If I was renting a higher end unit, I would probably want to verify SS#. If it was a lower end unit, I am fine with as long as work, income and rent history checked out.

    As far as stereo types go, there are plenty of hard working immigrants, and plenty of lousy immigrants. That being said, when screening for a low income property, I would say that I am usually more impressed with applications that don't have SS#s than those that do. This is one person's experience in a sea of millions of people, though.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Brian Hoyt:
    There is a town called Farmer's Branch in Texas that tried to pass a law making it illegal to rent to undocumented persons. I don't know if they passed the law or not, but that indicates to me that it is otherwise not illegal, at least in Texas. Of course, I am not a lawyer.

    If I was renting a higher end unit, I would probably want to verify SS#. If it was a lower end unit, I am fine with as long as work, income and rent history checked out.

    As far as stereo types go, there are plenty of hard working immigrants, and plenty of lousy immigrants. That being said, when screening for a low income property, I would say that I am usually more impressed with applications that don't have SS#s than those that do. This is one person's experience in a sea of millions of people, though.

    I assume this could be an issue for landlords in Alabama, with the recent laws passed there about immigration.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.