Should all adults named on lease have to apply and qualify?

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

All tenants must apply. At a minimum, you need to verify their identity and their criminal record.

I generally combine their income to meet my standard of 3x the rent but if there are three or more unrelated people renting together than I require each individual to make a minimum 2x the rent.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Id say this depends a lot on the asset class. C/D properties...yes Id suggest that.  A/B+, I just screen 1 person. B, can go either way.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    All tenants must apply. At a minimum, you need to verify their identity and their criminal record.

    I generally combine their income to meet my standard of 3x the rent but if there are three or more unrelated people renting together than I require each individual to make a minimum 2x the rent.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Justin Youngblood you should screen everyone that gets added to your lease.  If they are 18 or older they should be on the lease, and should be screened.  A tad more expensive but... well worth it, and a best business practice. 

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Many say yes. I do not screen for the kids, even if they are say 18-20 years old, and just living with mom and dad. Although, I do run them through the free Iowa Courts Online system. But not the $40 per person fee for credit, criminal, and nationwide eviction. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I used to say everyone 18 and over every time. But I do have an exception for adult children that live with their parents. 

    For individuals. Everyone has to apply and qualify. 

    For young adults that have always lived with their parents, I'm going to do a social media search, court docket, violent/sex offender search. But I'm not going to charge them an application fee or run a full credit/background check on them as long as the parents qualify without their income.  If they are counting the income of the adult children then the adult children also have to apply and qualify. 

  • Investor · Biddeford, ME · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 180 votes
    7y

    I screen all adults, and the fee is paid by each adult.

  • Rental Property Investor · Monroe, WA · Member since 2018 · 177 posts · 98 votes
    7y

    Yes, 100%! All persons over the age of 18 must apply and be on the lease!

    Leases are sole and several.

  • Property Manager · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Justin Youngblood screen people over 18. We have a system online that sets up a place for them to pay for the screening and fill out information. I get back a pass/fail rating emailed to me and move on from there. Very little work on my end and much better piece of mind.

  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    All adults.  If the kids have a party and destroy the house and the parents say they aren't at fault, you have a serious issue on your hands!

    Matt

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Fisher

    Wouldn’t your lease cover guests and/or the kids having a party, with the persons on the lease being responsible? I have a daughter that is in high school, just turned 18. Would you have her pay the screening fee and list her as a responsible party on the lease? Personal choice, but I don’t do that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    My paperwork says that anyone over 18 must apply and sign the lease also.  My concern is damage and changes of tenants.  I want to be sure anyone over 18 is responsible for their damage.

    Looking bad though, it's never mattered on any issue except when there's been a separation or change of unmarried tenants.  Then I have to deal with name changes and deposit refund issues.  It's never mattered for damages though.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    We require everyone over 18 to complete an application. (even if they're children of the primary tenants.)

  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Wick  If you and your family moved into one of my homes, you, your wife and your daughter will fill out an application form.  If we accepted you, I'd refund that cost.  

    Each of you is a legally consenting adult.  I want every consenting adult that lives there to be responsible for what happens there and responsible for those that are invited on the premises.  I'm strict as hell and it serves me well.  Nobody can pass the buck, everyone's responsible and accountable, and I'm not overlooking a child that's a nuisance to society and will wreck my asset.

    It's difficult to enforce tag-along boyfriends/girlfriends, family, 'babysitters' etc.  But I ask and ask a lot. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.