Stairwell and hallway lighting. Motion sensors or timers?

Stairwell and hallway lighting. Motion sensors or timers?

Rental Property Investor · NH · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I am wondering how other landlords are handling stairwell and hallway lighting. The building I am working on is a three family with 2 stairwells. Each stairwell has three windows and the lights on each landing are connected to a timer. I am considering adding occupancy sensors with a photocell on each landing as leaving the lights on for 10 hours seems like a waste. Thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

0Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 174 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    I'd use LED lights and keep it on a timer.  I wonder what they payback time would be for installing and maintaining motion detectors versus the pennies in energy keeping the lights on for 10 hours.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    A 10-watt LED bulb can run for 10 hours a day for an entire year and cost you about $4. You've probably spent more than $4 just thinking about this issue. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · NH · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks to you both.

  • Apalachin, NY · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    LEDs are crazy cheap and last a tremendous amount of time before needing to be replaced. Leave them on a timer, the motion sensor has a lot of room for error, and they can become quite an annoyance when they get dirty or need recalibration.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.