Tenant Bought Refrigerator & wants me to move mine out

Tenant Bought Refrigerator & wants me to move mine out

Architect · Sonoma, CA · Member since 2013 · 53 posts · 30 votes

During a recent inspection (multi year tenant in C+ area), my tenant said they bought a new bigger fridge on sale and would like to move the provided fridge out and move their fridge in.  The fridge provided is a nice stainless steel 20 cu. ft. model.  They bought a 30 cu. ft. model which they have in storage.

Would you let them move the new fridge in knowing they would then take it out when they move?

Would you charge them to move the provided fridge out and back in again after they move?

I am considering telling them no flat out but it is a long term tenant and would be open to some other creative solution.

What would you do?

0Reply
162 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Hmm.  I guess I take a different stance.  Long term tenant is happy and I have fewer appliances for which I am responsible...not a problem to me.  If you're worried about moving damage just let them know that you or whomever would move the old fridge will help move the new fridge in.  There are plenty of things to worry about when it comes to real estate, this isn't one of them.

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I would not...lesson learned:  any time any thing is being moved in and/or out, it leads to damage. There's also the cost involved in moving, storing, and then putting it all back the way it was when it started.  Spare yourself the chaos...

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan H:

    During a recent inspection (multi year tenant in C+ area), my tenant said they bought a new bigger fridge on sale and would like to move the provided fridge out and move their fridge in.  The fridge provided is a nice stainless steel 20 cu. ft. model.  They bought a 30 cu. ft. model which they have in storage.

    Would you let them move the new fridge in knowing they would then take it out when they move?

    Would you charge them to move the provided fridge out and back in again after they move?

    I am considering telling them no flat out but it is a long term tenant and would be open to some other creative solution.

    What would you do?

    I will tell the tenants to move out.. with their new fridge..  

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I had a somewhat similar situation but it was a new tenant who wanted to bring his fridge. I let him do because it was upfront, it was important for him and it worked for me.  I am storing an old fridge in a garage but if he stays for a bit not sure if I will keep it. In your situation first I would want to be sure the new fridge will fit.  Then if you have space I would probably do it.  work out what the charge would be for moving. I didn't charge but the garage was right there and I did some swapping between units so the oldest fridge is in the garage.

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hmm.  I guess I take a different stance.  Long term tenant is happy and I have fewer appliances for which I am responsible...not a problem to me.  If you're worried about moving damage just let them know that you or whomever would move the old fridge will help move the new fridge in.  There are plenty of things to worry about when it comes to real estate, this isn't one of them.

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Sampson:

    Hmm.  I guess I take a different stance.  Long term tenant is happy and I have fewer appliances for which I am responsible...not a problem to me.  If you're worried about moving damage just let them know that you or whomever would move the old fridge will help move the new fridge in.  There are plenty of things to worry about when it comes to real estate, this isn't one of them.

     Overall keeping the tenant happy is good thing, and I let things slide here and there and do a little bit more than contract says, but this is a very bad precedence to set

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I would let them..... make it perfectly clear that any damage from moving stuff is on them. Not any different than them moving a bed or dresser. Now I'm not responsible for any appliance repairs......

    My only issue is, what do I do with the fridge now? Store it for years...bad for appliances..... move to another unit? Got place in the garage? Yes its a PITA to move in in/out, but not worth the battle for saying no to a pretty basic request.

    The majority of CA rentals don't supply a refrig..... just stove, dishwasher etc.... not even washer/dryer....some do, but a larger % don't in general. Different for other markets

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Ryan H

    Hi Ryan,

    Watch the Amp Draw of the new fridge compared to what is on the circuit already and the Breaker Amps.

    If it's older wiring the fridge may not have it's own circuit or it may be too small.

    just my 2 cents...

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    If they have a better fridge, tell them they can put their fridge in, but it stays when they leave. They can sell the one that is there now and keep the proceeds. Get it in writing. It's a win-win for everyone. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    I like Greg's idea assuming the new fridge doesn't blow a circuit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    Patricia Steiner makes a good point about damage. So let them know if the vinyl flooring or whatever is damaged, that it's fair for them to pay to fix it.

    For a "long term" tenant I'd let them do it and I'd figure out someplace to store my refrigerator.  It would probably constantly be in my way though unless I had one go out in a diff unit and I could use it there.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    I would say sure , its one less appliance for me to deal with .I would move the old fridge over to my shop to keep my beer cold . 

  • Architect · Sonoma, CA · Member since 2013 · 53 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    Thanks to everyone for the comments and for bringing up some items I had not considered like @Scott Mac with the amp draw for the new larger fridge.

    A few items to clarify:

    This is a SFR rental that was gutted and rehabbed soup to nuts so power for a larger fridge is fine.

    This is in TX and renter supplied washer dryers is common but not much else in the way of appliances.

    The supplied fridge is only +2 years old.

    I don't really have a place to put my fridge if the new fridge is moved in being an out of state REI.

    Tenant is unwilling to leave their fridge even if I give them mine in exchange.

    Tenant already has blown their deposit on repairs so there is no bargaining there.

    One idea I had was they could move their fridge in from their storage unit and move my fridge back to their storage unit on their own dime.

    When they move they either have to move mine back in or leave their bigger fridge.

  • Real Estate Broker · Lexington, KY · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    @Ryan H I had a tenants ask me the same question. I tell them yes but the fridge that comes with the unit that I own must stay on the premises. So they can have it if they want to have two fridges in their unit.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Ryan H

    Not common in my area to supply a fridge unless previous tenant leaves one and we don’t repair or replace.

    If they are long term and they pay, keep them happy, it’s only a fridge. If your area doesn’t necessarily supply fridges in SFRs, sell yours and don’t replace when they move.

    and if it’s 2 years old, you are probably out of warranty already and if it goes bad tomorrow it will cost you $.

    If it was me.. id tell them I’m listing it for sale, and when it sells they can bring in theirs.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Ryan H I don’t usually supply fridges in my rentals, because it’s an extra appliance to maintain.

    I’d sell the one you have now and allow them to use their own.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Ryan H

    Wait. On your follow up you said their deposit is already spent on repairs? The deposit is for repairs after they move out. If there are repairs from tenant damage while they live here that must be paid by tenant out of their pocket, not the deposit.

    Your bigger and immediate problem is to tell the tenant to repay the damage deposit in full, and then you will allow their fridge. And also change your practices to never use damage deposit while the tenant still lives there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    @Patricia Steiner I agree. To much risk damages. Especially if doors have to come off or even trim.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    @Chinmay J. It can go south quick. Good tenants are such a stress relief though it's hard not to work with them some. I'm upgrading a tennants' wall mount airconditioing unit and taking their old one rather than buying my own new. Their house is always spotless and I know the kids well. They'll take care of it and get a kick out of the upgrade.

  • Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    If they store the old one in the house I have no problem with them using their own, but if they ruin it or scratch anything on it's way to storage, they're paying

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 174 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    I'd let them move it in.  Where I am the fridge is generally not supplied.  I have a couple where I have had the refidgerator left over from buying the property.  I leave it there and let the tenants know that it is not included as part of the rental.  If they ever wanted to replace it they can. 

    The bigger concern is that you said they blew through their repair deposit.   Security deposits are for repairs after the tenant moves out.  Any repairs done while the tenant is still there should be billed to the tenant immediately.  You should address that quickly.  If they have money to buy a new fridge when they have a perfectly working one, they have the money to pay for the damages they caused that needed repairs.

  • Somerset, NJ · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I don't know much, but I think it would be good to keep the tenant happy especially since they have been there for a while. Would it be possible to sell your fridge and use that money to buy the fridge the tenant is replacing it with?

    Edit: Just saw your updated post. Since their deposit money is depleted and they won't take your fridge, it would be a hard no for me :(

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Chinmay J.

    Whoa! What? Was your answer that you would kick the tenant out? For asking if they can bring their own fridge?! Yikes! What do you do to tenants that are an actual problem?!

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan H:

    Tenant already has blown their deposit on repairs so there is no bargaining there.

    The fridge debate is no longer of importance.  Please clarify what you mean here, and I really hope you don't say you used their deposit already.

    If you used their deposit already, this is probably your only opportunity to make it right. Tell them they can only swap the fridges if you replenish their deposit in full.

    Next, why the hell did you ever let them use the deposit?

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 83 votes
    7y

    @Jacob Sampson. I agree. That is just one less thing you have to worry about breaking and fixing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wiesbaden, Hesse · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Allen, had this happen. Move it to their garage.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.