Section 8 tenant mold=landlord headache... what to do next?

Section 8 tenant mold=landlord headache... what to do next?

Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi all, new to site. I thought I would put this out there and get your opinion on the situation.
I have a section 8 tenant that has been in the house for 4 years, not completely troublefree, but decent. Anyway, all of this got started because her closet door came off the tracks and I had the tracks repaired rather giving in to her wishes and buy her a new track. She was upset because she did not get what she wanted. On top of the track issue, two electrical sockets went bad in Dec. I make it a priority to have the issues taken care of either the same day or the next day, usually no later than that. Needless to say, I had the sockets replaced. But they weren't done until a few days later because of the weekend. I agreed to reimburse her on the rent for the days she was not in the house. She then wanted $150 reimbursement for the food in the fridge that went bad. I disagreed with her and suggested we talk to Section 8 (my big mistake). Section 8 suggested I give her $100 because if there is anything that goes wrong with the house, it is by default the landlord's fault. In the midst of all this, she tells me she has mold in the house. She also said maybe that is why her children have been sick lately. I then immediately arranged for someone to come by the house to examine the mold. The appointment was set up for a Mon evening. I proceeded to confirm the appt with her only to find out she disconnected the phone lines. Thus, I had to cancel the appt with the inspector. I then sent her a letter requesting her to call me for another appt. She has yet to call me. Anyway, I got a letter from her last night indicating that she informed me of the mold issue back in Mar/April and nothing was done about it and that Section 8 has advised her seek legal aid. What should I do next? In the meantime, I will organize all of my records to indicate that all issues were handled in a very short period time to show that if what she said about the Mar/April notice were true, that it would have been taken care of back then, and not waited until now. Thanks for your input.

0Reply
36 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 517 posts · 17 votes
    19y

    Man oh man that's a tough nut to crack. I have gone through (almost) the same situation and I will be glad to talk with you. Or you can search this site for my old messages on mold.

  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    She is playing you and because you let it go for so long she may get over.
    How did you send the letter to her about the
    phones being disconnected and the inspection being delayed? Regular mail? You do have a copy of this letter I hope?

    When you get a tenant starting up with the mold issue. Go over there with a spray bottle of bleach and water 5 to 1. Take a look at it and clean the stuff. Most of this so called "mold" is mildew.

    If this mildew is caused by her lack of house keeping. Then it is on her.

    If this is really a mold problem and is caused by a plumbing leak then yes you need to deal with it.

    Be aware that "Mold Inspectors" are in the panic bizz. They are out to make money and to exploit the unknowning Landlord.

    These days there are Mold Doctors, mold lawyers, as well as mold inspectors and mold redemation company's. It's a big buck bizz. IMO it's the con of the decade!

    The good news is that Landlord tenant judges are getting wise to this crapola.

    Also sec 8 are provided lawyers free of charge to them.

    Let us know how it works out or if you need any other input.

    Been there with one of my rentals. I did the remedation myself with a couple of guys. =AFTER= I evicted the tenants.

    Not sec 8 tho. I will not rent to sec 8. Until I am forced I am staying sec 8 free.

  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Double post didn't see a delete option. I'm new to your forum. :oops:

  • Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 517 posts · 17 votes
    19y

    As far as I know you don't HAVE to rent to section 8 tenants. The only limitation that I'm aware of is that if you will rent to section 8 tenants then you have to offer all of your units in a particular building to section 8 tenants. They don't all even have to be section 8 occupied, but they have to be offered to those people for rent.
  • Member since 2008 · 28 posts · 4 votes
    19y

    That's right, you do not have to rent to section 8 tenants if you don't want to.

  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    This is true in CA. CA LL's are not required to accept applications from sec 8.

    I have heard from other LL's in other forums that their states require them to take applications from sec 8. But that there are ways to around the system. Like making the dwelling out of the sec 8 $Price range.

    Then you are stuck using that criteria for all other applicants. Or run the risk of a HUD
    plant posing as a tenant. I don't recall which states those are?

  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    19y
    Originally posted by "DDPROP":
    On top of the track issue, two electrical sockets went bad in Dec. I make it a priority to have the issues taken care of either the same day or the next day, usually no later than that. Needless to say, I had the sockets replaced. But they weren't done until a few days later because of the weekend. I agreed to reimburse her on the rent for the days she was not in the house.

    Why was she not in the house over 2 wall plugs?
    The obvious solution if the wall plug is no longer functioning for the refer is use a extension cord to the refer until the wall plug can be replaced. Wall plugs are simple to switch out. Takes a few minutes. It would be to your benefit to learn how to do this simple replacement job. If the wall sockets when bad because of tenant abuse. Like shoving furniture against the applicance cord and breaking the wall socket. Then that is the tenants fault and you charge her for the repair.

    Sounds like you had her or you turned off the power to the entire unit over 2 wall plugs not working?

    I see a pattern here.

    1.) The track repair. Small issue. It does not effect her habitablity.

    2.) The 2 wall sockets go bad. Possible cause tenant abuse. This is also a small issue and would not effect her habitablity if the electric was not turned off to her entire unit. If she elected to turn off the electric to entire unit. She is playing you BIG TIME. More info needed to advise you better here.

    3.) The mold issue. That she informed you of verbally almost a year prior. Verbally doesn't cut it. It must be written. Check your lease or M2M. It should be in your rental agreement. If not update your rental agreements. Until it is in written form it will not hold up in a court of law.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I was wanting to get some information on mold in my apt .Landlord has done nothing section 8 says they don't deal with it the city told me that it is so common they don't bother with it .I believe it is my right to have section 8 to provide me with a safe living environment I have a 11 yr old daughter and a 10 yr old son who also comes in the apt so what steps would u recommend me to take .?

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Yes I was seeking information on my tenant rights wen it comes to horrible cases of black mold

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    This has nothing to do with SEC 8 vs. Non SEC 8.  Just sayin’. My very last mold threat, city investigation, zoning violation issue was a tenant who made good money at GEICO but had an old unpaid traffic violation from another state creep up into a warrent for his arrest, that ended up with his uninspected car being impounded. An $80 ticket that he never took care of became a financial nightmare, which resulted in him not paying rent.  We attempted to work with him but when he broke promises, we filed for judgment.  That’s when things went crazy and he cried mold.  Had his own mold test done and sent us only the pages that have the scientific mumbo jumbo that we could not interpret.  He called in the city who inspected and of course found some minor violations. We ordered our own mold test - from two different companies because the first was 30 days after ordering and we still didn’t have the results back. One of the companies we called someone ended up with a copy of the full report he had done that said NO AIR QUALILTY ISSUES.  Tha’ts right folks.  His own mold test said there were not air quality issues.  Our tests were supportive of that.  He was just trying to buy time.  We evicted him and then still had to deal with the city, but got the place inspected and are finally clear of it.  Now we are hot to trot to track him down and garnish his wages!  

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    This has nothing to do with SEC 8 vs. Non SEC 8.  Just sayin’. My very last mold threat, city investigation, zoning violation issue was a tenant who made good money at GEICO but had an old unpaid traffic violation from another state creep up into a warrent for his arrest, that ended up with his uninspected car being impounded. An $80 ticket that he never took care of became a financial nightmare, which resulted in him not paying rent.  We attempted to work with him but when he broke promises, we filed for judgment.  That’s when things went crazy and he cried mold.  Had his own mold test done and sent us only the pages that have the scientific mumbo jumbo that we could not interpret.  He called in the city who inspected and of course found some minor violations. We ordered our own mold test - from two different companies because the first was 30 days after ordering and we still didn’t have the results back. One of the companies we called someone ended up with a copy of the full report he had done that said NO AIR QUALILTY ISSUES.  Tha’ts right folks.  His own mold test said there were not air quality issues.  Our tests were supportive of that.  He was just trying to buy time.  We evicted him and then still had to deal with the city, but got the place inspected and are finally clear of it.  Now we are hot to trot to track him down and garnish his wages!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.