I won my small claims court case...now what?

I won my small claims court case...now what?

Rental Property Investor · Stafford, VA · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 4 votes

I filed a small claims case against a contractor. The contractor did not show so the judge ruled in my favor. I didn’t want to ask the judge but...how do I go about collecting the payment?

I’m concerned I won’t get the money because this contractor goes by 2 company names. I filed a case for both companies but the judge said he could only put a judgement on one. Both companies are no longer have active licenses numbers (something I realized after the fact). Any tips on how to collect payments would be appreciated!

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 83 posts · 61 votes
7y

Depending your state laws, normally you would find a bank account that is active for that company and then serve that bank with your copy of the judgement to levy the funds in the account.  One way to find out which bank the company was doing business under is to look at what bank cashed your check to the company.  The bank and account number should be on the cancelled check back.  Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Frisco, TX · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Amy Xu How much money is owed?

    You need to file an Abstract of Judgment in the county deed records. Collecting is harder than winning your case. It might be easier to go get more dead than to dedicate too much time to it.

    I would get the judgment filed and sell the debt to be honest.

  • Member since 2019 · 83 posts · 61 votes
    7y

    Depending your state laws, normally you would find a bank account that is active for that company and then serve that bank with your copy of the judgement to levy the funds in the account.  One way to find out which bank the company was doing business under is to look at what bank cashed your check to the company.  The bank and account number should be on the cancelled check back.  Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Amy Xu you’re likely never going to see that money. Judgement or not.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    if the judgement is against the company .. then your out of luck 99,9% of the time.. no small contractor has any value in the company itself its just a shell to do business and then start a new one up when they have screwed more people.

  • Investor · Quilcene, WA · Member since 2017 · 235 posts · 169 votes
    7y

    @Amy Xu Depending how long since their license shut down there could be a bond on file. Maybe you can hit that? Never had to so not sure. Check with the contractors board. If they were sole prop you might have recourse against their personal money. I agree, I would sell it to a collection place and be done.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Your money is gone . Chalk it up to life’s learning lesson . 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    @Amy Xu In my experience, according to your state law, find a bank account that is valid for the company, and then provide the bank account with the copy of your judgment to the bank in order to receive funds in this account.

    If you want to find out which bank the company is doing business with, one of the more common methods is to see which bank will cash your check to the company. However, you may need certain permissions to seek help from the court.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Amy Xu:

    I filed a small claims case against a contractor. The contractor did not show so the judge ruled in my favor. I didn’t want to ask the judge but...how do I go about collecting the payment?

    I’m concerned I won’t get the money because this contractor goes by 2 company names. I filed a case for both companies but the judge said he could only put a judgement on one. Both companies are no longer have active licenses numbers (something I realized after the fact). Any tips on how to collect payments would be appreciated!

     That's the thing with suing folks. Winning a judgement is relatively easy. Collecting on it is much tougher. When deciding whether or not it's worth the time and money to sue someone you've got to look at the likelihood of collection. If I were you I would take the judgement to an attorney and discuss your options for garnishment & liens.

  • Rental Property Investor · Stafford, VA · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @John M Chludzinski interesting, I checked the back of the check but it shows up as blank. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Stafford, VA · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs should I sue the contractor as an individual instead? What’s the point of court if a contractor can continuously change their name? In fact I found out through Facebook that he did change his name. So this is his 3rd name change but I cannot understand how this is allowed? 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Amy Xu:

    @Jay Hinrichs should I sue the contractor as an individual instead? What’s the point of court if a contractor can continuously change their name? In fact I found out through Facebook that he did change his name. So this is his 3rd name change but I cannot understand how this is allowed? 

    they are called factious names.. you seem them in the paper all the time AMY doing business as XYC LLC

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 807 posts · 815 votes
    7y

    I actually just won a small claims case recently and learned a lot about collecting than I wanted to lol. Do you have their bank account number by any chance? You could try to do a bank levy if you have the bank name and account number. There's a process to do this through the sheriff after you get a writ of execution. Sorry you have to deal with this. How much was the judgment for? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Stafford, VA · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Pratik P.thanks I don’t have their account number and when I view the check online the back of the check is white.  Not sure if I call my bank they will have a method to see which account the check went into? The judgement was only for $1505 so not too much.

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 95 votes
    7y

    Bad contractors go out of their way to structure themselves to be in a position that they are untouchable. The judgement shows you are right in the eyes of the court as to your disagreement, & as others have said , does not collect the money for you. This contractor likely does not own property, a vehicle, not have bank accounts in his name. For the amount owed, is it worth your time to keep chasing him? This is why due diligence is so valuable.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    7y

    You can try to seek the assistance of a debt collection agency, but in reality you won’t see even a penny from this. 

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2017 · 115 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    https://www.judgmentmarketplace.com/

    I've sold a judgment though them. I only got about 40% of it but is better than nothing.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.