Dishwashers in rentals

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y

It’s $400 installed once every 10-15 years. A couple dollars a month. Everyone “wants one” or notices when it’s not there, and then never uses it. It probably pays for itself in more rent or shorter vacancies. Unless you’re in the sub $500/mo market. 

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2013 · 285 posts · 220 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @David Stone:

    High end or low end rental, if there's room put one in.  For a rehab fix and sell, definitely put one in - make the room :)

    Have you had experience renting a lot of low end properties with dishwashers in them? It's not as simple as having room. The cost to maintain is insane due to the abuse they receive from the low class tenant base. It's an ROI killer.

     I've only had one semi-destroyed in the last 6 years of renting in multiple properties, we are low income compared to many areas surrounding but I am also super selective with who I put in my rentals. 

  • Martin NealPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 293 posts · 383 votes
    7y

    @Sharron Morrow check the neighborhood rentals and she if the rent you want to charge has them. If they do or don’t, you will have your answer.

  • Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    I would never rent a unit without a dish washer. I’m hate washing dishes.

  • Keyonte SummersPro Member
    Harper Woods, MI · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 311 votes
    7y

    I think it really depends on the area you are investing in. From what I know you invest in Detroit and most tenants don't expect it let alone know how to keep it functional. If it in Detroit depending on the area I would say no because you dont want to run the risk of water damage if a tenant doesnt know how to maintain the dishwasher. I say this from experience investing in the Detroit market in certain areas its expected but most its not.

  • Nashville · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Dishwasher is not that expensive. And it is one of the factors that tenants will take into consideration. Dishwashers really help a lot at the moment. A kitchen is not well-prepared without a dishwasher.

  • Member since 2019 · 135 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    I'll add it if there's room 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    7y

    @Sharron Morrow

    My properties average 750 a month and I take the dishwasher out and put shelves in. On my properties that are over 1,000 a month I’ll leave it in.

    Wait till they move out and the dishwasher broke a couple months ago and has been leaking water out under the sink. Or the pump stopped and the standing water has been there long enough to clear the room when you open the door.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Stone:
    Originally posted by Rich text editor@James Wise:
    Originally posted by Rich text editor@David Stone:

    High end or low end rental, if there's room put one in.  For a rehab fix and sell, definitely put one in - make the room :)

    Have you had experience renting a lot of low end properties with dishwashers in them? It's not as simple as having room. The cost to maintain is insane due to the abuse they receive from the low class tenant base. It's an ROI killer.

     I've only had one semi-destroyed in the last 6 years of renting in multiple properties, we are low income compared to many areas surrounding but I am also super selective with who I put in my rentals. 

     What type of sample size are we talking about over those 6 years though? I ask because having a handful of units for 6 years is still a small sample size, like 20-30 tenants. Low income tenants destroying dishwashers is not a rare event. You may be lucky or have a small sample size but I have found that over the long term with a large sample size of data the investment in a dishwasher in a low income area does not pencil out to favor the landlord.

  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2013 · 285 posts · 220 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @David Stone:
    Originally posted by Rich text editor@James Wise:
    Originally posted by Rich text editor@David Stone:

    High end or low end rental, if there's room put one in.  For a rehab fix and sell, definitely put one in - make the room :)

    Have you had experience renting a lot of low end properties with dishwashers in them? It's not as simple as having room. The cost to maintain is insane due to the abuse they receive from the low class tenant base. It's an ROI killer.

     I've only had one semi-destroyed in the last 6 years of renting in multiple properties, we are low income compared to many areas surrounding but I am also super selective with who I put in my rentals. 

     What type of sample size are we talking about over those 6 years though? I ask because having a handful of units for 6 years is still a small sample size, like 20-30 tenants. Low income tenants destroying dishwashers is not a rare event. You may be lucky or have a small sample size but I have found that over the long term with a large sample size of data the investment in a dishwasher in a low income area does not pencil out to favor the landlord.

     If I had tenants destroying dishwashers time after time I would remove them too.  We have had tenants with pets destroy carpet consistently due to pet urine, therefore we no longer put carpet in our rentals and that has helped keep more money in our pocket! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    If the attribute is high end it is installed because this is a typical feature that tenants expect.

    If it is at the low end, such as $700 or $800 per month, it will not be installed.

    When tenants abuse them, they are more troublesome than their value.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I still like dishwashers because it helps with the water consumption but low end units probably better without them.

    Low end units tend to get low end dishwashers so they don't have hard food disposers so they can't handle non-cleaned plates.  However nothing is gonna help if they let silverware or broken glass gets in the bottom of the dishwasher.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.