Flooring Whats the Verdict. I refuse to put in Carpet!!!

Flooring Whats the Verdict. I refuse to put in Carpet!!!

Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 77 posts · 6 votes

On all the properties I have done tile so far. I do have some larger SF Homes that for resale I am not sure would be best. I am scared of Laminate because of water issues. Anyone used the plank linoluem that looks like hardwoods and either snaps in or glues together. I think it is the Allure ultra stuff. Anyone have any recomendations. I may just go with Tile that looks like hardwoods? But that stuff is like $2 a foot then you add in labor and you are at about $3.50 afoot which gets expensive but will last forever. Anyone have any comments. I have 2 houses that I am going to need to make a decision on soon.

0Reply
18 views

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 77 posts · 6 votes
    14y

    Never mind the search feature is a nice thing.

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    14y

    Carpet is my first choice. Furniture and grit are tough on wood and similars and who puts vinyl flooring in the living room or bedrooms?

    For carpet, I get the multicolor commercial stuff - cheap and does not show all but the worst stains. Lasts many years and cleanable.

  • Specialist · San Dimas, CA · Member since 2011 · 350 posts · 122 votes
    14y

    Jerry D. - not sure if you are still looking for info, but if so, can you clarify if you will be renting these or "flipping" them? If you're renting them, you're better off bitting the bullet and putting tile in, IMO.

    AG

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    14y

    From what I've seen going tile might be your best bet in the south. In the midwest carpet is the norm due to the winters.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Are you talking about a flip or rental, if a rental I like the vinyl that looks like hardwood.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 77 posts · 6 votes
    14y

    Rental property.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2011 · 70 posts · 11 votes
    14y

    If the neighborhood allows it, commericial grade carpet. Looks ugly but will hold up well.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    Jerry how long will you hold these rentals ??

    "I do have some larger SF Homes that for resale I am not sure would be best."

    What you put in for renting and resale should be 2 totally different things.

    If you are holding for just 2 years you might go more resale finishes and hope they hold up. If you are holding for 5 to 10 years or longer what you put in for resale even though it may be nice will be outdated by the time you go for retail sale.

    In that case you will need to redo anyways before putting on the market for retail sale so you don't want to spend a bunch of money now.

    The other item to factor is what do other rentals in the similar rent range offer as far as finishes??You don't want to under-improve or over-improve for that rent range.

  • Investor · Buford, GA · Member since 2012 · 120 posts · 31 votes
    14y

    After following advice I found on BP, I used $.79 per foot porcelain tile from Floor and Decor. It is hard as a rock, looks nice and seems bulletproof.

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    There is a tile that looks like hardwood floor planks. I have been searching for discount sources for this.

  • Investor · Groves, TX · Member since 2009 · 44 posts · 25 votes
    14y

    I am in the same boat. Next week I am closing on two houses and I will have to make a decision on the flooring. I have given up on carpet in rentals in particular long term rentals. I also do not like putting tile anywhere except the kitchen and bath. So I am considering using vinyl planks over laminate.

    The first property is going to be a long term rental in a great school district. The neighborhood is blue collar with many starter houses for young couples. The ARV will be ~100,000 so I am leaning towards using vinyl planks all the way through the house. I could install tile in the kitchen and bath areas. This will be the first time I have used vinyl so I am curious to see how it holds up and how tenants will react to it. There is only one way to find out.

    The Second property is likely to be a short time hold (a year, maybe two) with a higher ARV so I am unsure if I want to use vinyl planks or not. I am not sure how they will go over when selling. So I will probably use laminate or vinyl in the living room and hall ways, tile in the kitchen and bath, and carpet in the bedrooms. If I do go with vinyl I could run it in the baths and kitchen too.

    Anyway, keep us updated on which way you decide. I hope it turns out great and cheap either way.

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    There is also a laminate plank flooring that has mositure protection/treated. Anyone use this?

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Opinions on the self adhesive vinyl planks? Starts at about $1 a foot. 2mm. Over plywood? Lower end rental.

  • Real Estate Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 14 votes
    14y

    My house has laminate plank flooring. It was installed 5 years ago before I moved in, and at the time, it looked nice. However, it was not long before the planks began to separate (older house, probably shifting as floor settles). It now looks like garbage. I expect the owner will replace it after I move. They used the same stuff at the neighbors house and it had to be replaced after a year there. My went back to carpet- which I don't like either.

    On the other hand, the tile that was used in the kitchen and bathroom has held up excellently, and looks as good today as it did when I moved in 5 years ago.

  • Real Estate Investor · Elkhorn, WI · Member since 2008 · 453 posts · 104 votes
    14y

    I use carpet as a last resort. My SFH's are old, so they all have hardwood floors in them. I paint the floors with an oil based floor paint. These are middle class homes. The renters love the look and it costs me $0.05 per square foot to paint over in between renters. For kitchens and baths, I use commercial vinyl tile. It is expensive but is colored all the way through (keeps its color when chipped or scuffed), is completely water proof and will last for years and years.

  • Homeowner · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 52 posts · 8 votes
    14y

    One mistake I made was change from carpet to laminate on a lower craftmanship house built for rental. I never considered how un-flat the plywood were under the carpet. To make it short, many joints had to be shimmed/leveled and it was still not so great. Flatness is hardless an issue for carpet, but vital for laminate, probably tile too.
    A smooth flat finish shows even minor imperfections.
    Plus a subfloor not flat to spec will cause snap joints to work loose.
    In addition, carpet can be easily repaired, especially the sandy - peppered patterns.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Jon K. When you say self adhesive planks, are you referring the products with adhesive side strips that creates a floating floor? Or are you talking peel and stick directly to the floor? I've heard there's now vinyl planking that has full back adhesive. If you have a good plywood subfloor with no noticeable seams or defects, you have a lot of choices in the $1/sq foot (materials only) in a low end rental. I used the Armstrong peel and stick tiles from HD, in the oak parquet pattern, in my daughter's apartment in Berkeley. Definitely a low end rental in spite of being $950/mo for her precious 250 square foot studio, and her landlords are, um, horrible. Peel and stick has come a long way. This product is hard and textured and the adhesive is very good and I applied it over a crap floor with great results.

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 44 posts · 13 votes
    14y

    @Todd H the tile that looks like hardwood can be found on Floor and Decore
    http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/s11107866.html

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 141 votes
    14y

    I've have the metro express plank vinyl wood look flooring installed in my commercial building for 2 years now. Has held up extremely well.

    Impervious to water and is Very scratch resistant. Cost about 3.00 per foot installed

    It also looks great and feels much more solid underfoot than laminate.

    I really love the stuff and we have successfully used it in flips as well as rental.

    For cheap you can't beat the $.65 loop carpet from lowes. We just did a 1000 sq ft and it looks outstanding for the money. Also seems to hold up much better than the strand carpet

  • Multi-family Investor · Morton Grove, IL · Member since 2011 · 59 posts · 8 votes
    14y

    In some homes there is hardwood flooring under carpets. If you have hardwood instead of concrete, then I would sand and polish the hardwood. If you have concrete, I would put laminate or hardwood over the concrete. Carpets get dirty and carry allergens and many people prefer to put their own area rugs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.