Asking a tenant to move out in Washington DC

Asking a tenant to move out in Washington DC

Investor · New York City · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 5 votes

Hi all,

I own a property in DC that I've rented out to someone for 2 years. We are on a month-to-month lease. They have been good tenants but I have an urgent need for the house and would like them to move out. Does anyone know what the best way to get them to move is? 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    By urgent need do you mean less than 30 days? I’m assuming it’s not stated in your lease of your rights as a LL to take back possession in a certain amount of days so you would have to offer them a concession to move ASAP whether it be returning their deposit, paying their moving cost, finding them a comparable apt.... etc. 

  • Realtor · Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 166 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    90 day notice to vacate for personal use. 

    https://dhcd.dc.gov/sites/defa... 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    90 day notice in DC if landlord wants to occupy the property themselves. One of the only ways in DC to end a month to month.

  • Wendell HallPro Member
    Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    Agree with Russell and Justin. Your immediate need must be for personal use and can’t be to turn them over for higher rent. DC tenant laws, as I’m sure you know, are very tenant-friendly.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.