Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
Just got a call , its 11.33 pm on the east coast and one of my properties is on fire. The tenant called me and she just returned home with her two young children and everyone is safe. The house is in Dayton Ohio and I am trying to reach my contacts there.
Is there any any advice I should know about. this is new to me.
Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
14y
going through a fire claim right now. PM me your email and I'll send you my notes and phone # if you have any questions. Oh, duh, it's in your signature. Email OTW.
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
Jon : it appears to have started in the dryer vent. lots of smoke and now broken windows. fire dept is still on scene , I have arranged to have windows boarded up. The tenant is now situated and safe , sec 8 rental. I will call insurance company i the am and try to get a representative out to the house in the AM.
Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
14y
Jon, a clause regarding water damaged tenant possessions
(and removal of them and other abandoned posessions) is something on my list to add.
Michael, my fire was a S8 as well.
As a FYI, at least here, there's no guarantee section 8 will allow them to transfer their voucher and move into another home, even if the fire was accidentally caused by them.
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
Hoping the loss is not too severe. Have been told there is lots of smoke that came from the laundry room in the basement.
Tenant has two young children, they have found a place to stay tonight. windows will be boarded up ASAP.
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
Good morning all: Thanks for your support in the middle of the night. I guess BP never sleeps. I am waiting for reports this morning to see what needs to be done . I will keep you posted.
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
Jeff: not sure if the dryer was electric I don't think it was gas.
It appears the alarm system did not go off to warn of fire only when fire dept broke open the doors. That is a concern, it could have been much worse if this occurred when everyone was home and asleep.
Reported claim to Farmer Ins. this morning.
contacted company referred by my broker and they will go out and further secure property.
Trying to find temporary housing for my tenant.
need to contact section 8 to find out how to proceed with them.
could be many weeks to get Property back to rent able condition.
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
Ok , I am glad everyone in the house is ok but now things are starting to get bizarre.
As Ed O predicted in the notes he sent me last night , I am getting calls form people who want to fix the house.
The most recent is one from a reality show that wants to handle the whole episode (yes the pun is intended)
I have already sent someone to further secure the property and asked the "reality show" to email me whatever they want to communicate to me. Sounds like a unique way to differentiate their repair company.
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
Oh, I forgot to mention, I called sec 8 and they are sending out an inspector now. I could not get someone on the phone to tell me what I need to know about re locating my tenant.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
14y
Michael, sorry to hear this, hopefully it was a small one and can be repaired quickly. Sec 8 will want to inspect when work is done and might keep your tenant in place. Does your insurance cover loss of rents (if dinged under S8). Glad to hear tenant was not out on the street....good job! Additionally, did the Red Cross show up at the fire, they provide assistance to fire victims and sounds like she would qualify for assistance with them. (?)
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
yes: the red cross is on the scene they told the tenant they would contact me. No return call as of yet except to say an inspector is on his way to the property sec 8 has not returned my call to discuss my options about relocating the tenant. I have contacts with other investors in the area who may be able to provide temporary shelter on the same street but i am still trying to figure this out.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
14y
I'd let the Red Cross take care of temp housing. They usually put them up at a motel'hotel if it will be a short clean up period. If you arrange something with another landlord, your tenant might decide to stay there....hmmmm? But if it looks like a big, long drawn out affair, her moving would probably be best. Good luck
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
I was about to make an offer on a pretty good property on the same street, could close in a week and I already have a pretty good tenant. Don't want to get ahead of myself though. You are right about placing her in a competitive property. Section would probably need to inspect that property before they would pay.
Vouchers are hard to come by in this area. Don't want to lose this tenant.
Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
14y
My advice is to not try to cut corners with the restoration contractor. Pay your deductible and have a national firm like Servpro do the work. Their first bid will seem high but they work fast and don't nickle and dime you. There are a ton of slick characters in restoration business that lowball their initial quote and then cut corners, work very slowly and/or pad the bill. Your local Farmers adjuster will know who is good and the slick characters will try to convince you that your adjuster is trying to cut corners.
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
Thanks Joe: I have heard that pitch already this morning. The line is they are doing a reality show to expose how insurance adjusters try to cut corners and they will use their contractor and document the process and even offer compensation to use my property. Sounds pretty slick to me.
so far they haven't emailed me as I requested but have a guy at the property referred by my insurance broker.
Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
14y
quick update , yes Bill the red cross came in with a debit card for food and family stepped up to find housing temporarily.
Repairs look to be about 25k
will take 4 weeks
insurance company not out there yet
sec 8 inspected will most likely give a move voucher to tenant but I would like to keep her in the property if possible.
Insurance is for 25k so lets see how that plays out.
Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
14y
Your business income/loss of rents should be paid until you get the tenant back in there or another tenant in place... they may or may not point that out to you but it is your right to get paid for you loss of rents.
West, MI · Member since 2012 · 674 posts · 182 votes
14y
Joe Bertolino
We had a rental mobile home burn in our park last November. The insurance is currently paying the lot rent but they are saying this is the last month they will pay. Is there a time limit on loss of rents?