Do you allow outdoor fire pits or swimming pools?

Do you allow outdoor fire pits or swimming pools?

Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes

Tenant asked if they could have an outdoor fire pit-- the type you buy at Walmart that sits above ground.

Do you allow fire pits or swimming pools?

Fire pits are fun, but I don't think it's worth the risk to allow them. Thoughts?

I'll have to check my lease, but I believe it says "no fire pits, outdoor storage structures, swimming pools, etc. without written permission of landlord."

Tenant situation:
- Roommates/shared housing with individual leases
- Fairly low deposits per tenant.
- I have property insurance and recommend they buy content insurance, but I don't know if they purchase it.
- Tenants are younger professionals and students. It's not a family "lease the whole property out" money maker deal.

I see risk written all over fire pits.

Do you allow fire pits?

Above ground swimming pools?

Do you require any special insurance from the tenants for either?

Am I worried about nothing?

0Reply
43 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    I do not allow swimming pools unless they take out some insurance and give me a copy of the policy. Had a tenant not only take out the insurance but also they paid to have a fence put up.

    I allow fire pits as long as they are not near the house.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    14y

    Your tenant put a fence around a pool? Nice.

    How far away do you require the fire pits to be?

    This yard is big, but narrow--- 10 feet from house is probably the center of the yard. Under 10 feet away in the other direction and there's a tree. Maybe I should measure it. There's some trees in the yard, so there's only one good spot for a fire pit... and that's on grass. Tenant would have to install fire-safe stone or some base for it.

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    I just tell them to keep it far enough away so it won't burn anything. When I am there and I notice it in a spot that is not good I just tell them to move it.

    Actually had a tenant in a low income property just dig a big hole in the ground for a fire pit. They dug the ash out and filled it back in when they left, even put grass seed down. Same people that built the fence.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    14y

    Is insurance effected by them having a fire pit?

    What if my tenant's fire catches spark and burns my property and/or neighboring properties? I have insurance, but worry that a fire pit either wouldn't be covered under standard insurance, or somehow a tenant was at fault somehow (neglect? improper installation? improper maintenance?) that my insurance could somehow be voided if I allow fire pits.

    Impressive that they filled it in and put grass seed down. I guess them asking you before installing it shows they're at least respectful tenants, and I'm glad to hear nothing went wrong with by allowing it.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Fire pits; propane or 3' logs? A grill shouldn't be allowed on a deck. At the apts, a grill area with gravel is provided away from the building. I don't know of any insurance issues with a grill or small fire pit with SFD.

    There are issues with a pool, fencing, pool alarms, insurance rating for anything 3' deep or more, which includes those round jobs people pop up. Hot tubs need to be covered when not in use and secured.

    No, I did not allow pools, the apts had a pool and club house, a PITRear end! Grills and fire pits, yes, away from the improvements and not under trees, in open spaces.

    I had some college students in apt that had access through a window to a flat roof, I drove by and saw a grill on the roof! I went balistic! Screwed that window shut from the outside!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    That would be a BIG NO.

    You are trusting the tenant to be responsible with YOUR investment and your family's future wealth.

    City and counties have ordinances from fire code on how far away a pit can be.They are not allowed on decks or near fences that are attached to structure.The thought is wind can propel the flame onto the building or connected structure and catch fire.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    I also wouldn't allow the pool.Too much liability there as well.Same with pit bulls.

    Unless you are getting insane cash flow to compensate for the extra risk it is not even remotely worth it.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    14y

    I think I, too, will ban firepits and pools.

    My lease says I forbid then without my written permission, so I'll keep that enforced.

    A portable fire fit seems like "no big deal" to a tenant, but I see a strong gust of wind and the property burning down. Not worth the risk... it's not a big money maker.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2011 · 70 posts · 11 votes
    14y

    Never thought about banning fire pits. Thanks for the idea.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2009 · 89 posts · 44 votes
    14y

    Fire pits, as in a dug-out circle in the ground surrounded by rocks like a camp fire? No- too dangerous and it becomes an unsightly garbage burning pit.

    One of those portable fire dishes like they sell at Wal-Mart or target? Sure, but not on the deck or under the eaves.

    Pools? Childrens' wading only, and they pay to reseed any killed grass.

    Other banned stuff:

    Trampolines (insurance);
    Any dog adjudicated as dangerous or vicious (insurance);
    Any dog on the insurance banned breed list, including mixes containing any of the banned breeds (insurance);
    Venomous pets (after a tenant snuck a rattle snake into their apartment and it got out);
    Illegal substances or conducting an illegal business (duh).

    Mike

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.