• Rental Property Investor
  • Statesboro, GA
Votes |
Tenant asking for "New HVAC system"

Gerardo Escutia
  • Statesboro, GA
Posted Sep 13 2019, 09:45

I have a tenant who just moved in about 2 months to newly remodeled rental (everything is new) that purchased this year. I had the AC system checked by HVAC company and everything works fine according to the company. The temperature gets to 72 Fahrenheit on the hottest day here in the south GA when temperature outside is about 100 degrees. 

The tenant complains the temperature should go to the 60s, when the thermostat is set at 64 degrees. I had the AC check by HVAC tech twice and they checked the Freon levels and cleaned the coils and technician said that everything is fine that they should be happy it gets to 72 on the hottest days of the summer. 

The tenant called again and they are saying to send another technician to have the  system check again. The only option to get the AC temperature any lower, is to get a new AC unit. What would you guys do? 

User Stats

Votes
Dawn P.
  • Sumter, SC
Votes |
  • Sumter, SC
Replied Sep 15 2019, 06:47
Originally posted by @CJ M.:

@Gerardo Escutia

Who sets their thermostat to 64? I mean really

One of my tenants does. The system will keep it about 74 when it hits the high 90's/100's outside, yet they still complain because they want it in the low 60's. Hopeless. I'd hate to see that electric bill...

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Ashby
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Sep 15 2019, 06:51

This is an excellent discussion topic. For those of us in the South, this is a pretty constant problem even in winter time. I've had similar cases pop up in my properties in both Tennessee (Chattanooga) and Florida (Jacksonville). While I keep my own central AC (in Orlando) set to a very economical 79 degrees during the day at 76 at night, I find that my tenants (including Section 8 tenants) like to keep theirs around 68-72 degrees. It is for this reason that I do not install or replace central A/C in my low income units especially. It's been my experience that the tenants don't maintain them and tend to put such demands on them that the lines freeze over and crack--leaking freon, etc. I try to set expectations and explain to them that any temperature reduction greater than 20 degrees should be treated as a bonus. Furthermore, they can purchase powerful box fans inexpensively to lower the need for A/C and to circulate the air in the home even more. 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Gray
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Sep 15 2019, 06:57

This is a completely unrealistic expectation by them.  I live in Florida and HVAC systems won't go that low unless it's winter.  Tell them if they don't like it they can move and should because they're going to end up blowing your compressor.  Getting a new system isn't going to help.  

It's funny you mention this because I actually now ask where prospective tenants like their AC temp set at for this very reason.  When they over stress it like this, it's not good.  If they tell me they like it 75 and above that's fine.   

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 15 2019, 07:09

Is 72 temperature inside the house or temperature coming out of the vents? 72 coming out of vents isn’t good. Now if they want the house 64 degrees, that is a pipe dream.

User Stats

Votes
David Dachtera
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Sep 16 2019, 07:07
Originally posted by @Luke Carl:
Originally posted by @David Dachtera:
Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

@Gerardo Escutia if it’ll only get to 72 something isn’t right. I live in the south and I wouldn’t be happy if my hvac only went to 72. I’d call a different company. Any idea the serial number (age)? I don’t spend much money on Hvac’s that are over 10 year ago old. If it’s costing me more than say $200 to fix I replace it. 

It depends on the OAT (Outdoor Air Temperature). Most systems are designed to maintain only a 20 degree difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures. Thus, at 92 outside 72 is the best you can expect indoors. This will depend, of course, on the indoor dew point. AC systems condense moisture first, then cool the air if there's any capacity left over.

Some systems may be limited as to how low the suction side pressure (and associated evaporator temperature) can go. This is usually done to prevent the evaporator from freezing up.

Yeah no way. It’s 100+ regularly here and my stats are always set on 69. If they can’t keep up they’re busted 

Then, you're running systems built to a non-standard specification. 20 degrees temperature difference is the industry standard.

It *CAN* be done, of course. Just over-size the system (pay too much for it) and your good.

User Stats

Votes
David Dachtera
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Sep 16 2019, 07:10
Originally posted by @Erik B.:

@David Dachtera

So when its 110 degrees outside it should only be 90 inside?

That's the industry standard, yes. You can over-size the system (pay too much to buy and run it) if you want to do better.

Remember those signs you used to see: "20 degrees cooler inside"? Ever wonder where that comes from?

User Stats

Votes
Riley Kurtts
  • Real Estate Agent
  • KW Commercial
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • KW Commercial
Replied Sep 17 2019, 09:23

@Gerardo Escutia - Sometimes a second (or 3rd) option can uncover an unseen issue.

We had a similar issue at our home and one guy said “your gonna need an entirely new system.”

Say what!

We got a 3rd tech out and he discovered immediately that the heat strip was still running while AC was on.

Finally, if anyone wants to talk commercial real estate - give me a holler!

Let’s connect and do business together.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Lydon
  • Aston, PA
Votes |
  • Aston, PA
Replied Sep 20 2019, 09:54

Based on everything you are telling us, the unit is under sized. whoever ran the load calculations on your house messed up the sizing of the unit. Additional things to check for are insulation is newer to help reduce the head load from the attic, additionally, depending on the age of the house, external insulation breaks down. Finally, window age can effect the heat load within the house. all three of these items should be inspected before just replacing the unit.