Tenant asking for "New HVAC system"

Tenant asking for "New HVAC system"

Rental Property Investor · Statesboro, GA · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 17 votes

I have a tenant who just moved in about 2 months to newly remodeled rental (everything is new) that purchased this year. I had the AC system checked by HVAC company and everything works fine according to the company. The temperature gets to 72 Fahrenheit on the hottest day here in the south GA when temperature outside is about 100 degrees. 

The tenant complains the temperature should go to the 60s, when the thermostat is set at 64 degrees. I had the AC check by HVAC tech twice and they checked the Freon levels and cleaned the coils and technician said that everything is fine that they should be happy it gets to 72 on the hottest days of the summer. 

The tenant called again and they are saying to send another technician to have the  system check again. The only option to get the AC temperature any lower, is to get a new AC unit. What would you guys do? 

12Reply
404 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 37 votes
7y

I always enjoy reading the responses on posts like this. Everyone has some "rule of thumb" they like to pass on. Here is the facts, from a licensed HVAC contractor:

1. If air conditioning only cooled to 20 degrees below the outside temperature, then people in Phoenix, AZ would have homes that are 90 degrees inside. The correct "rule of thumb" is that it air conditioning should cool the air to 20 degrees below the temperature of the air entering the filter. As an example, if it is 80 degrees in the house, the cold air blowing out of the vents should be 60 degrees.

2. A unit that only cools the air by 11 degrees is not working properly. A "perfect" air conditioning system cools the air 20 degrees. Anything between 18 -22 degrees would be acceptable to a service tech. Outside that, a good tech should start to be concerned and check a few other things.

3. Standard air conditioning systems cannot cool a home below 68 degrees. Now sure, there are a lot of factors that go into this, and I am sure someone will comment that their AC does get cooler than 68, but below 68 degrees leaves the realm of air conditioning and now enters refrigeration, i.e. walk in refrigerators. 

4. Most importantly, 72 degrees falls within any regulation out there. OSHA does not specify a temperature that work places have to be, but they recommend between 68- 76. https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaw...

It is generally standardized throughout the industry that "perfect" indoor conditions in the summer are between 73- 79 degrees with 40% to 60% relative humidity. https://www.contractingbusines...

I'd leave the unit as is, replace the tenant before you replace the HVAC. Just keep in mind that with the way they are running it, you are subjecting the equipment to much more wear and tear. I would suggest replacing the air filters every month to prevent a premature failure.

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

83 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Troy Bailey:

    @Lucas Carl what is your cost on replacing a unit?

    Depends the size of the house. Should be about the same as it is in your market.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    I wouldn’t do anything. Hell, I wouldn’t have sent the first technician.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    72F is fine on a 100F day.  All HVAC companies that install Central A/C systems will tell you that if you get an inside temperature that is 20F below the outside temperature it works fine. Basically, if the tenant is getting an inside temperature of 80F on a 100F day the system is working correctly.  You can add a window unit or portable but I wouldn't.  

    Only window or portable A/C units will deliver cold temperatures provided doors are closed or there is a unit in every room or oversized units, etc...

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    There’s literally a local hvac company here called “72 Degrees”. Tell them to set it to 72 degrees.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Bring in a fan and tell your POLAR tenants that is the best you can do. Summer is almost over. 

    A/C is to remove moisture (perspiration major cause) such the air circulation provides some heat removal from your body. Human body works like a heat engine burns 400 btu/hr. 64 degree comfort level is unheard of. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Is this tenant obese? Having large amounts of body fat can make them “feel” very hot subjectively compared to an average sized person in the same room. Maybe install an alarm on the fridge.

  • Real Estate Professional · Pawtucket, RI · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 79 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    Greetings I agree with what most people are saying there’s nothing wrong with the unit , you cannot expect the unit to get in the 60s range as it’s @100 degrees outside and houses aren’t air tight and when a door opens it’s fighting that new warm air . Me personally I like it at 74 degrees 72 is too cold for me let alone 60s I don’t believe it would ever get to 64 when it’s 100 outside. I also believe the tenants expectations are unreasonable

  • Specialist · Winston, GA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    As an ac tech if your unit here in GA is getting down to 72 I would say it’s working perfect. It is possible to get it lower but than you have to look at all the variables. An Air conditioning unit does not cool the house, it removes heat from the house. If you really want to please your Tenent ( which I wouldn’t on this case) you’ll have to check where is the heat coming in from. Windows, doors, not enough insulation. Is there leaking ducts. Other than that just have your AC company say give you and invoice saying that there’s no issue and give your Tenent a copy. I would not care how old the unit is, if it is doing it’s job!

  • Rental Property Investor · Amityville, NY · Member since 2018 · 351 posts · 441 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    72 does not seem acceptable to the standards I live in.

     Agreed 100%.  also find it interesting that "everything is new" BUT the AC unit that is getting complaints.

  • Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Get a new thermostat that you can adjust, what the temerature actually reads to something a little colder, its in there mind not in the unit n

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia They are being a little bit unreasonable here in my opinion. Why do they need it colder than 72 in the dead of the summer? That’s what I have my house at and I am never hot. Politely deny their request and if they keep giving you a hard time, tell them they have an early lease termination fee in their lease and can choose to exercise it if they wish (assuming you have one).

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    Who sets their thermostat to 64? I mean really

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    A/C is fine. Not replacing anything... If they are that hot they can get a window unit themselves

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

    @Gerardo Escutia if it’ll only get to 72 something isn’t right. I live in the south and I wouldn’t be happy if my hvac only went to 72. I’d call a different company. Any idea the serial number (age)? I don’t spend much money on Hvac’s that are over 10 year ago old. If it’s costing me more than say $200 to fix I replace it. 

    It depends on the OAT (Outdoor Air Temperature). Most systems are designed to maintain only a 20 degree difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures. Thus, at 92 outside 72 is the best you can expect indoors. This will depend, of course, on the indoor dew point. AC systems condense moisture first, then cool the air if there's any capacity left over.

    Some systems may be limited as to how low the suction side pressure (and associated evaporator temperature) can go. This is usually done to prevent the evaporator from freezing up.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Dachtera:
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

    @Gerardo Escutia if it’ll only get to 72 something isn’t right. I live in the south and I wouldn’t be happy if my hvac only went to 72. I’d call a different company. Any idea the serial number (age)? I don’t spend much money on Hvac’s that are over 10 year ago old. If it’s costing me more than say $200 to fix I replace it. 

    It depends on the OAT (Outdoor Air Temperature). Most systems are designed to maintain only a 20 degree difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures. Thus, at 92 outside 72 is the best you can expect indoors. This will depend, of course, on the indoor dew point. AC systems condense moisture first, then cool the air if there's any capacity left over.

    Some systems may be limited as to how low the suction side pressure (and associated evaporator temperature) can go. This is usually done to prevent the evaporator from freezing up.

     Yeah no way. It’s 100+ regularly here and my stats are always set on 69. If they can’t keep up they’re busted 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia I’m a contractor in Tennessee, and the house I rented til recently wouldn’t get below 72 either. I had my HVAC guy come check it after it blew a capacitor. It would run non stop all day. There is only about 5 inches of insulation in the attic. My landlord wouldn’t pay to blow in more.

    Your best bet is to check the attic. Get some pink panther from Lowe’s and they’ll give you the machine to blow it in for an afternoon. Pay someone to do it for you- it’s miserable work. Blow in about 10-R. If it was my place that’s what I’d do.

  • Rental Property Investor · Martinsburg, WV · Member since 2017 · 111 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia your problem tenant early warning system is working perfectly. This tenant has expectations that aren't easily met. Let them walk when the lease expires, if it gets that far.

  • Paducah, KY · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 45 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Shaw hit the nail on the head! Great reply!

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia Do they pay market rent or above market rent?  Have they been good tenants besides this request?  What are the chances of them signing another lease and saving you the headache of turnover and finding a new tenant?  Answer those questions and you can decide what to do about AC.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    This is not really what you asked, but I'll write it anyway.

    Maybe your tenants are uncomfortable and blame it on the temperature because that is that they think the problem is, based on their education.

    But the problem may be that he humidity is too high and that is why they are not comfortable.  They say its the temperature, but really it is the high humidity.

    Did you check the humidity in the house?  If its high, a dehumidifier will help you tenants be more comfortable at a higher temperature and also reduce the chances of mold growing.

  • Erez TokerPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Renton, WA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia. We’ve had several occasions where tenants have offered to 1/2 the cost of the installation of AC (on nicer units) to meet their request (in the Northwest AC is not a necessity)

  • Rental Property Investor · Amityville, NY · Member since 2018 · 351 posts · 441 votes
    7y

    @David Dachtera

    So when its 110 degrees outside it should only be 90 inside?

  • Troy BaileyPro Member
    clayton, NC · Member since 2017 · 99 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    The majority of my units are close to 20 years old! They are too costly to replace just because of age I will keep them until they die! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    You did everything right by the tenant. It’s unreasonable for the tenant to ask the temperature being in 60’s.

  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    A new tenant would be cheaper 🤷‍♂️

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.