New to Investing what areas do you recommend

New to Investing what areas do you recommend

Bay Area · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 10 votes

Good Afternoon, 

My name is Tonya and I'm new to investing.I would like to know if anyone can recommend some good markets too start investing as a first time investor. I reside in the bay area so it's a little more capital to start here for me right now. My preference would prefer a multi family unit.Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. 

Enjoy Your Day,

Tonya 

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Stick to the Bay Area. 3.5% down on a 4plex and live in one of the units. Same down payment $$$ if you are putting 20% down out of state where you have little control. 

Learn how to be a landlord while benefiting from the great appreciation AND rent growth which cannot be found elsewhere.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Stick to the Bay Area. 3.5% down on a 4plex and live in one of the units. Same down payment $$$ if you are putting 20% down out of state where you have little control. 

    Learn how to be a landlord while benefiting from the great appreciation AND rent growth which cannot be found elsewhere.

  • Bay Area · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Hi Saj,

    Thanks for that advice I never thought of that strategy. You are right it will be the same amount of money on the down and in the long term better appreciate. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Alameda, CA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 41 votes
    7y

    @Tonya Kelly

    I agree with Saj. We do exactly that as new investors here in the Bay Area (having graduated from the wannabe group after many years)! We landed a deal that we look at as subsidizing our personal residence (discounted purchase price versus a similar sized SFR as the unit were occupying). We were able to use FHA financing given we live in one unit as well. Additionally, having a local rental has allowed us to learn some tricky lessons in property management and strengthen that segment of our real estate brokerage before we get established out of state too.

  • Real Estate Broker · Alameda, CA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 41 votes
    7y

    Ah, as to areas, we were lucky enough to buy in Alameda. But I expect good growth over the long term in West Oakland and down by the Hayward area.

  • Bay Area · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Hi Joshua,

    Thanks, for your advice. As they say there is no place like home. I will begin searching in the bay area to see what I will find. Also  the idea of being a being able to learn the property management side. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.