Tenant Threatening to Kill Me.

Tenant Threatening to Kill Me.

Investor · Waterford, MI · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 4 votes

I have a tenant that has frankly lost it. Like the title says she has threatened to kill me on two occasions. One is a voicemail that I still have. She texts me at all hours of the night and calls at all hours of the night. She has been informed that her month to month lease will end this month. Her capacity is such that I can’t even tell what is real and what is in her mind. 

Of course this was an inherited tenant, but I’ve had no issues until now. (Section 8 of course) She has three kids. Two boys and a girl. I think when the girl moved out things fell apart. Some friends of mine are police officers and they said they think she got into bath salts.

Anyway I’m wondering if this allows me to move an eviction any faster. She has said she’s not leaving...

Also, my eviction attorney says its best to give her a good standing report for section 8 or else I’ll never get rid of her. What if I don’t follow that advice?

Thanks for any help or advice. 

 

0Reply
180 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 319 posts · 330 votes
7y

Making death threats (in a recording, no less) is a good way to receive a different type of subsidized living arrangement.. 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Nathan Gesner I was just about to renew the lease.... on second thought, that's the dumbest idea ever. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    No experience with Section 8 but isn't the first recourse the section 8 case worker? Isn't the lease really with them and not the tenant? Isnt it their job to make sure the tenant is meeting their requirements and dealing with it when issues like this come up? They are going to find out about the eviction sooner or later, either through the section 8 case worker or the court papers, so that ship is gonna set sail no matter what.... you can only hope she doesn't go bat sh*t crazy and destroy the place
  • Roni E.Pro Member
    Specialist · Earth 2.0 · Member since 2019 · 598 posts · 271 votes
    7y

    Not giving any tax or legal advise but I would give her a glowing review and even help get moved on. As for the tenant not to destroy the property, and you waste more time. Have you though here is 1-month rent or xyz dollars if you move out in next 10 days and have sign a release/settlement agreement. In a perfect world yes you inform the police, evict, spend money on a lawyer and this eviction get dragged out a few months and then with the end of year 3 months away I have seen some judges avoid evictions at the end of the year and new year. So a months rent to put in the tenants pockets which you will spend more than the other way it would be the better business way. You will see people say, do some very unique things the longer you are in this business. Most importantly stay calm, and do not be reactive or quick to actions. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver-metro, CO · Member since 2008 · 58 posts · 15 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Healy:

    Many thanks everybody! Very helpful. I have since made a police report and spoke briefly to an attorney that said I should try an emergency eviction given the threat and harassment. I’m going to go to the courthouse and try that tomorrow. I’ll follow up. (Famous last words that kill every interesting forum post)

    Still... Involving the housing authority worries me. I agree with the person that said once she know she’s losing her voucher she’s likely to really get bad. Thoughts?

    Michael, 

    I am in Colorado and evicted a Section 8 tenant last year. I worked with her case manager to provide documentation of the substantial damage to the property, the 10 letters of HOA violations from the board, photos of people not on the lease living in the property and living in tents on the back patio. She stayed a month after her lease ended, so between eviction costs, loss of rent while she was overstaying and the substantial cleaning and repairs we lost several thousands of dollars. She still has her voucher and actually received a higher voucher amount when leaving the property.

    Your area may handle it differently, but her eviction and violating her Section 8 voucher contract did Not result in her losing her voucher.

    Best of luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.