Cleveland - Property Management Problems

Cleveland - Property Management Problems

Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes

I bought a duplex at the end of June 2019 and it went under supervision of a property management company I selected in Cleveland at the beginning of July. The property management company has not lived up to their end of our verbal agreement of filling both units within the span of 1 month. It has been 3 months now, and we just filled only 1 unit yesterday, and the tenant is someone I found through my own marketing of the property. Because the property management company's PR and advertisement misses several major rental outlets, I posted my own listings and have been forward all inquires to the PM, and from there many have gotten lost in the shuffle and have come back to me saying no one from the property management company ever followed up with them. 

Im pretty sure that not living in the immediate area plays a part in the response time and prioritizing clients rentals. Even when I asked one of the company's representatives what their average turnaround time for filling vacancies was, and he replied "on average, 2 weeks." Well, needless to say, it's been 3 months and I've done the bulk load of the work in trying to get tenants placed.

Does anyone have recommendations for a quality property manager or PM company in the Cleveland area? 

Thanks in advance. 

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 320 votes
6y

That's the million-dollar question.  It's been a challenge for a ton of investors here but talk to my guy @Brian Garlington as he had some great results.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 320 votes
    6y

    That's the million-dollar question.  It's been a challenge for a ton of investors here but talk to my guy @Brian Garlington as he had some great results.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y

    Try reaching out to @James Wise the owner of the Holton-Wise Group. Big PM company and the largest seller of multifamily properties in Cleveland.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 71 votes
    6y

    Hi @Matt Lorenzo I'm from Cleveland and have some experience with property management companies there. Shoot me a DM, I'll let you know who I use.

    Brian

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 769 votes
    6y

    There are already a million threads on this very issue so I'd recommend you do some digging through the forums to find some recommended PMs. Finding good PMs and contractors is the biggest struggle of almost all out of state investors here. 

    I'm assuming it was a low price point duplex as that's why everyone invests in Cleveland. A couple of months might sound unreasonable for filling a vacancy on a property like that through a PM. But that's just the reality in most cases unless you're in the hot suburbs. 

    Until you own quite a few units, you, unfortunately, don't have much leverage on a PM who is only making maybe $150/month on your property.

  • Aaron HowellBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Crozet, VA · Member since 2014 · 436 posts · 223 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed is right !  Talk to Brian Garlington 

    Story House Real Estate529 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.