Evicted tenant do I have to pay the water bill?

Evicted tenant do I have to pay the water bill?

Member since 2019 · 96 posts · 7 votes

So I just evicted a tenant for not paying there rent. And I just found out that water has been shut off the unit.

I plan to call the utility company. But I am wondering if I have to pay the bill that the tenant didnt pay.

Per lease tenants are required to pay utilites.

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2018 · 452 posts · 672 votes
6y

@Robert Hernandez If the tenant didn't the pay water bill when they lived there, I'm sure they're not going to pay it after they've been evicted.  I would pay the bill and move on, not worth the hassle of going after an evicted tenant for it. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2018 · 452 posts · 672 votes
    6y

    @Robert Hernandez If the tenant didn't the pay water bill when they lived there, I'm sure they're not going to pay it after they've been evicted.  I would pay the bill and move on, not worth the hassle of going after an evicted tenant for it. 

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    6y

    It totally depends on where you live.  In some municipalities, the water and/or sewerage bill is tied to the property...even if the bill is in someone else's name.  In some municipalities, it isn't.

    For example, my rentals are in Orleans Parish (county).  Water/sewerage is NOT tied to the property, so I am not responsible for any of those bills that a tenant shirks on.  Thank goodness because I've had it happen twice where a property got turned back over to me with the water meter missing because the tenant hadn't paid their bill.  Though I would also structure things differently if I was ultimately responsible. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Robert Hernandez as @Jennifer T. said it depends on your area.  In Baltimore city, the city itself is the water company. The property owner is responsible for the water bill. If it is not paid it become a lien on the property.

    That is how it is in most areas, however that may not be the case where you are.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 227 votes
    6y

    Don't mean to sound like an echo in a room, but as others above have noted, really depends on the area you're in; and yes, @Ned Carey has it spot on (as far as the responsibility of the water bill and who that falls on). I would otherwise pay it and move on but also depends on how much it is for; could take it to small claims court now that they've already been evicted, no? @Robert Hernandez

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Robert Hernandez, @Rob B. I know I have taken many properties in tax sale from an investors who didn't pay the water bill. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.