Annual Inspections- How often do you check up on your properties?

Annual Inspections- How often do you check up on your properties?

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Good evening everyone.

How often do you (if ever) perform a full walk through of your rental properties? I own a 1-bedroom rental and I usually inspect the rental about once a year (without counting informal pop ins). I usually do it when my tenant is away on vacation, and I use that time to touch up the rental as well. I always inform my tenant that I will be in the unit as well, I am lucky to have a very responsible tenant and I like to give them that respect.

I always thought this was normal, until I spoke to a friend of mine who owns multiple rentals, and they mentioned they rarely ever check up on their properties. I found this to be unusual and might use this as a chance to manage their properties for them LOL.

SO, How often do you all check up on your properties?

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

@Joseph Villani welcome to BP! We check once a year. Take pics, video etc. I had a PM who did not inspect-cost me a lot of money! We now self manage and give the tenants 2 weeks notice that we will be inspecting. That is also stated in the lease.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Joseph Villani welcome to BP! We check once a year. Take pics, video etc. I had a PM who did not inspect-cost me a lot of money! We now self manage and give the tenants 2 weeks notice that we will be inspecting. That is also stated in the lease.

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    My management company here in NJ does it 4 times a year. It's stated in our Lease. We inspect the inside and outside and take photos of any issues. Then we send a one page report to the owner.

    I think it's important to be around the property and to let your tenant know you keep an eye on it as well. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y

    At turnovers, but Im in class A areas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, NJ · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Hi @Joseph Villani. Initially, I checked up every couple months but once I got the sense that my tenants were a good responsible family, I reduced the frequency to 6 months. These days, I go in once a year. 

    This isn't my standard operating procedure though. Before this family, I had a single guy who kept bringing in new roommates every few months so I used to pop in way more frequently.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    The frequency really depends on the class of property and tenant but every property should be inspected at least once a year. I base frequency on the risk of tenant. I use a score sheet when they apply that gives them a score of 0 - 30 with a higher score being better. The lower the score, the more deposit they pay and the more frequently I inspect.

    My lower-scoring tenant will get an inspection 90 days after occupancy. If it goes poorly, we'll continue inspecting every 90 days and evict if it's so bad they are damaging the property.  If it goes well, we won't inspect again until 90 days prior to lease expiration. 

    For tenants with high scores, we inspect 90 days prior to lease termination. 

    Inspections are also triggered by other bad behavior like being late on rent more than once or an unkempt yard or noise complaints.

    We always inspect 90 days prior to lease termination. This enables us to determine if we want to keep the tenant in the rental. If they intend to leave, it enables us to pre-plan for maintenance and cleaning after they depart. And if they keep the clean, we can show it with tenant permission prior to vacancy and reduce turnover time. If they live like slobs, we'll wait until they are out and the unit is cleaned up before we market it again.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    Where you the rentals located? In Ca, we do inspections yearly, there is no way the state would allow us to inspect 3-4 times a year.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    I collect rent, change air filter, and look around briefly every month.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you everyone for the insight! I was surprised when they told me they hadn't seen the property in a while, I am going to reach out to them soon!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 643 votes
    6y

    Hey @Joseph Villani - this is an awesome topic! And a topic that isn't discussed enough.

    I think a lot of investors kind of fall into the "set it and forget it" mode after the property closes and it starts performing. Especially for folks like myself who invest out of state and can't physically do a quick drive-by.

    I'd personally recommend a check-in once every 6 months. Luckily one of my property managers does that for me as part of the contract. I'd also recommend checking in on the property right before Winter hits. It's always nice to get those gutters cleaned and check out the roof.

    I was out in the Midwest over the Summer to check on my portfolio and found a few issues that my tenants didn't even bring up. One of them being...A HOLE IN THE SIDING!

    So, long story short. Keep tabs of your rentals and perform preventative maintenance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.