Tenant won't respond - nearing end of lease

Tenant won't respond - nearing end of lease

Member since 2018 · 45 posts · 0 votes

Hi -

I have a lease ending mid Dec & would like to get my place back on the market if the tenant is leaving.

I notified him that the lease was ending and wanted to know his plans weeks ago - he didn't respond for several weeks, then said he wanted to stay until Feb.  I sent him a lease extension until Feb, & have not heard a word about it, despite a few requests to sign it.

I'd prefer to lock in Feb & look for a new tenant then, but as of now, I have nothing signed and extremely poor, intermittent communication, so I'm thinking I'll have to just put it back on the market.

Any advice on how best to protect myself from a messy, no notice curveball?  Again, I'd prefer to honor his request to stay until Feb, but the utter lack of communication makes me think the best approach would be to just get it on the market assuming he's going to blow it off & I'll be stuck flatfooted in mid Dec at the end of the lease.

Thanks for any input!


0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y

This is a common Landlord mistake. Instead of using an open-ended question, give them specific choices:

Dear Tenant, 

Your lease is set to expire December 15th. Please review the following options and initial next to your choice.

____ Move out no later than December 15, 2019.

____ Extend on a month-to-month basis with a 20% increase to the monthly rent.

____ Renew for an additional 12-month period at a rate of $_________

If I do not receive a written response by (DATE), I will assume you intend to leave and will start marketing the property.

Best regards,

Landlord

Your options may be different than that. The point is, don't *****-foot around. It's your property so you give him the options and let him choose. When expecting a response from the Tenant, I always recommend putting a deadline in your letter. This prevents the tenant from returning the letter the day before move-out.

Learn to communicate clearly and professionally, and always try to keep it in writing.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Tyler, TX · Member since 2018 · 193 posts · 143 votes
    6y

    @Alan Bosca I'd personally go ahead and start marketing the property...sounds to me like your tenant is trying to leave it open ended for their own benefit. Ultimately, you have you own interests to protect! If they truly want to stay, then when that sign goes up and the ad starts running, they will get their rear in gear and sign...if you still get no response, then you have your answer! 

  • Member since 2018 · 45 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Angie Shires:

    @Alan Bosca I'd personally go ahead and start marketing the property...sounds to me like your tenant is trying to leave it open ended for their own benefit. Ultimately, you have you own interests to protect! If they truly want to stay, then when that sign goes up and the ad starts running, they will get their rear in gear and sign...if you still get no response, then you have your answer! 

    Thx - definitely seems like they’re trying to play this to their benefit.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Simply tell them without a signed lease, you will be marketing it for rent.  Give him until the end of Oct to send you the signed lease.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    This is a common Landlord mistake. Instead of using an open-ended question, give them specific choices:

    Dear Tenant, 

    Your lease is set to expire December 15th. Please review the following options and initial next to your choice.

    ____ Move out no later than December 15, 2019.

    ____ Extend on a month-to-month basis with a 20% increase to the monthly rent.

    ____ Renew for an additional 12-month period at a rate of $_________

    If I do not receive a written response by (DATE), I will assume you intend to leave and will start marketing the property.

    Best regards,

    Landlord

    Your options may be different than that. The point is, don't *****-foot around. It's your property so you give him the options and let him choose. When expecting a response from the Tenant, I always recommend putting a deadline in your letter. This prevents the tenant from returning the letter the day before move-out.

    Learn to communicate clearly and professionally, and always try to keep it in writing.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · North Ridgeville, OH · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 81 votes
    6y

    Go put a 24 hour maintenance inspection on the door.  Then perform an inspection.  I almost guarantee that will cause him/her to call.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.