Durham, NC · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 14 votes
First-time landlord here so I'm still learning the ropes. My tenant gave me 30 days notice for his move out date which is supposed to be the 31st of this month. He came to me last week and told me that he would be gone by today. I returned his full deposit back to him which he deserved because he returned the apartment back to me in the condition it was a when he rented it. Then he asked me about the remaining balance. I was a little confused since he said he should also get prorated rent for moving out early. Is this the case and how do I handle this since his 30 days notice was for the end of the month?
if he is owed the prorated amount I have no issue returning it to him and I am still within the 30 days to return any and all deposits. I'm just looking for Clarity on the situation. I'm in North Carolina if it matters.
Lender · Farmington, CT · Member since 2015 · 542 posts · 321 votes
6y
@Quandra Adams i don’t think you need to give it back but i would. i have found that erring on the side of giving usually lends well to me in the future.
No. He paid by the month and gave you 30 (or 31) days' notice. The lease runs from the first to last day of the month. Unless you had previously agreed for let him move early (ie move out by the 15th, so a new tenant can move in), he's responsible for the entire month's rent.
Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
He does not get any money back when he vacates, because he agreed to rent it for the whole month. That's like ordering a plate of food at a restaurant and asking for a partial refund because you only ate half the food. You agreed to rent the unit for the month, its your for the month. However, only exception, if you are able to get it rented out before the first of next month, you cannot collect rent for the same day twice (depending on local laws). In that case, I would refund any days that were rented out twice.
Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@Quandra Adams
In addition to what everybody said, you never give back the damage deposit that quickly. You can’t possibly know if anything is wrong with the place for at least a couple weeks. Sometimes you notice things while cleaning, when another tenant moves in and takes a shower or uses the washing machine, etc. If the law states 30 days, take the 30 days to see if anything is broken or wrong.
Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 323 votes
6y
How did you give the money back? Just hand it to them? Did you get a receipt? Some states, without a certified letter and certified fund receipt, you may open yourself to them saying they never received it and have to pay 2-3 times damages.
How did you give the money back? Just hand it to them? Did you get a receipt? Some states, without a certified letter and certified fund receipt, you may open yourself to them saying they never received it and have to pay 2-3 times damages.
Money order. I have the other half of the receipt.
In addition to what everybody said, you never give back the damage deposit that quickly. You can’t possibly know if anything is wrong with the place for at least a couple weeks. Sometimes you notice things while cleaning, when another tenant moves in and takes a shower or uses the washing machine, etc. If the law states 30 days, take the 30 days to see if anything is broken or wrong.
How did you give the money back? Just hand it to them? Did you get a receipt? Some states, without a certified letter and certified fund receipt, you may open yourself to them saying they never received it and have to pay 2-3 times damages.
Money order. I have the other half of the receipt.
Money orders are not a certified form of payment. There is no proof that you didn't fill out your name on the money order and their name on the receipt. If they take you to court, they could say they never received it. The proof is on you then to produce delivery verification. Will it happen? Maybe not, but there are many sites out there telling tenants how to exploit landlords who don't follow the prescribed legal requirements of their state.
@Quandra Adams It doesnt matter that his lease was for a year. When you rent long term, you pay per month. You dont owe him anything.
I feel like this is a super stupid question but his start date for his lease was October 26th 2018 so I dated the end of it for October 26th 2019. He was trying to say that since he paid for it through the 31st he gets money back. Does this matter at all? I am just really trying to understand and cover my bases. Thank you in advance!
No. He paid by the month and gave you 30 (or 31) days' notice. The lease runs from the first to last day of the month. Unless you had previously agreed for let him move early (ie move out by the 15th, so a new tenant can move in), he's responsible for the entire month's rent.
Not exactly true, the end date of the lease is the date stated on the lease.
Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
6y
@Quandra Adams
If he moved out before his term and you didn’t agree to it, I believe you don’t owe him anything. In most situations is typical for one yet contract to continue the lease month to month, same terms. But that needs to be included in the lease.
30 days notice to move out doesn’t necessarily mean he is abiding to the contract term.
If he moved out prior the last 30 days of his lease without proper notice, I would withhold portion of the deposit for damages. Now I have to find a new tenant within less than the 30 days. Typically, people moved out at the end of the month. If I loose that wo do frame, it likely means another month of vacancy.
Next time, prorate rent at the beginning of the lease. If it’s a year lease, they pay X amount of rent for Y amount of days/30, and at the beginning of the next month, time starts for whatever term is in the lease. But put that in the lease. No verbal for prorated rent! Good luck.
Your lease determines the conditions. When did the lease start and what is the end date? Do you require 30 day notice to the end of the rental period or to the end of the month? You might have to give the tenant 5 days worth of rent back if he paid until October 31st but the lease ends on the 26th.
Monkton, MD · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 15 votes
6y
Also check your state laws for any documentation that needs to be a part of returning a security deposit. You may need to send a certified letter clearly stating how the balance was calculated.
@Quandra Adams It doesnt matter that his lease was for a year. When you rent long term, you pay per month. You dont owe him anything.
I feel like this is a super stupid question but his start date for his lease was October 26th 2018 so I dated the end of it for October 26th 2019. He was trying to say that since he paid for it through the 31st he gets money back. Does this matter at all? I am just really trying to understand and cover my bases. Thank you in advance!
I think this is the key right here. I'm certainly not a lawyer, however if the lease is up on the 26th and he is out of the unit on the 26th, you should pay him for the 5 days he isn't responsible for. I would ultimately defer to someone who has explicit legal knowledge, but the end date of the lease absolutely does matter.
When I look back to any time I've rented, I paid through the end of the month but received a refund if my lease ended prior. If he paid through the 31st, his lease is up on the 26th, and he moved out on the 26th, you should pay him back those 5 days. If he moved out on the 20th, you should still pay him back for only the 5 days. Hope that helps.
He owes rent through the 30 days of notice. He moved out early for his own benefit, not for yours.
You don't owe him anything.
Nathaniel, thank you for responding. He's trying to say that since he turned the keys over on the 17th that he had no possession so I order him for the 17th through the end of the month. Even that doesn't justify it for me because I only did his walk through on that day because he was going back to his home town which is an hour away. Does him turning in his keys matter? The lease still ended on the 26th no matter if he had keys or not.