Tenant deposit + Prorated Rent

Tenant deposit + Prorated Rent

Durham, NC · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 14 votes

First-time landlord here so I'm still learning the ropes. My tenant gave me 30 days notice for his move out date which is supposed to be the 31st of this month. He came to me last week and told me that he would be gone by today. I returned his full deposit back to him which he deserved because he returned the apartment back to me in the condition it was a when he rented it. Then he asked me about the remaining balance. I was a little confused since he said he should also get prorated rent for moving out early. Is this the case and how do I handle this since his 30 days notice was for the end of the month?

if he is owed the prorated amount I have no issue returning it to him and I am still within the 30 days to return any and all deposits. I'm just looking for Clarity on the situation. I'm in North Carolina if it matters.

2Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

No you don't owe it. He rented by the month. It was his decision to leave early though he was entitled to use the property the full month.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    @Quandra Adams He is responsible for 30 days of rent. If he turns his keys in early, that's nice but it doesn't relinquish his resopnsibility. Keep the rent for the full 30 days.

    There is one caveat: if you find a new renter to start paying rent before the 30 days is complete, then you should refund that portion of rent. Let's say your current tenant is responsible for rent through November 30th but he moves out and turns in the keys on the 10th. You find a new renter to move in on November 20th. I would refund the departing tenant's rent for November 20 - 30.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.