Renewing lease without one of the roommates

Renewing lease without one of the roommates

York, PA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 2 votes

Hello All,

I have a single family condo (PA) currently rented to 3 related tenants on a one year lease ending in Feb. In speaking with one of the tenants it seems things have gone sour with one of the roommates (not paying a fair share) and come March, the two would like to renew without the third. I'm not concerned that the two will be able to pay, but I am concerned about how to go about ensuring that the third roommate will actually vacate as I do not believe he will be happy the other two are continuing onto a new lease without him.

I plan to send a termination of lease notice stating that we will not be renewing or continuing on a month to month and the lease will end Feb 29th, and then signing a new lease with the two roommate beginning March 1st. However, come March 1st if the other roommate hasn't or won't leave what is my responsibility here? Can the tenants who remained on the lease have the other roommate removed or do I have to evict? Can I change the locks on March 1st since I'm giving proper notice of the lease not renewing? what if their things are remaining in the house?

At this point it's all speculation from me as he might agree to leave no problem but I'd like to understand worst case if it come around. Thanks for any input!

0Reply
27 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Deanna Coffey:

    Hello All,

    I have a single family condo (PA) currently rented to 3 related tenants on a one year lease ending in Feb. In speaking with one of the tenants it seems things have gone sour with one of the roommates (not paying a fair share) and come March, the two would like to renew without the third. I'm not concerned that the two will be able to pay, but I am concerned about how to go about ensuring that the third roommate will actually vacate as I do not believe he will be happy the other two are continuing onto a new lease without him.

    I plan to send a termination of lease notice stating that we will not be renewing or continuing on a month to month and the lease will end Feb 29th, and then signing a new lease with the two roommate beginning March 1st. However, come March 1st if the other roommate hasn't or won't leave what is my responsibility here? Can the tenants who remained on the lease have the other roommate removed or do I have to evict? Can I change the locks on March 1st since I'm giving proper notice of the lease not renewing? what if their things are remaining in the house?

    At this point it's all speculation from me as he might agree to leave no problem but I'd like to understand worst case if it come around. Thanks for any input!

    Deanna, I would provide written notice that the existing lease will terminate on February 29th and that you will sign a new lease with Tenant A and B that starts effective March 1st. I would include in that notice a warning that if Tenant C remains in the home after February 29th, then you will initiate the eviction process.

    I wouldn't go into detail about how you would evict or how you would punish him. Just keep it short, simple and professional. Most people will get the hint and do the right thing.

    However, it wouldn't hurt to talk to an attorney now and figure out how to respond if they refuse to leave. If that happens, you want to be prepared to act quickly and decisively.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.