HVAC preventive maintenance worth it?

HVAC preventive maintenance worth it?

Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 5 votes

We are looking at an annual HVAC tune up plan for our rental. This is what one company's tune up entails:

Spring AC tune up:

Indoor Unit

*Blower Motor *Amp Draw *Bearings *Blower Wheel Balanced *Control Board *Operating Properly *Incoming Voltage*Connections *Low Voltage *Electrical Connections *Change/Clean Filter *Capacitor *Thermostat *Check Operations *

Outdoor Unit

*Compressor*Amp Draw*Condenser Fan Motor*Amp Draw*Bearings*Capacitor*Electrical Connections*Clean Condenser Coil(water)*Check Refrigerant Levels*Check Contactor *Relays Operation*Check Operations*Clear Condensation Lines*

Furnace:

Fall Maintenance Checklist

*Replace Filter*Electrical Connections*Check Thermostat*Verify Blower Condition*Check Control Operations*Check Control Board*Check Capacitor(s)*Amps of motor operations* Check Relays*Heat Exchanger Condition*Burner Condition* Remove and clean flame sensor* Inspect Blower Wheel*Inspect and check ignition operations* Check ALL safety operations* Verify a good clean burning flame*

Are these pretty standard work supposed to happen for tune ups? 

We don't live close by so doing it ourselves is out of question.

The property is in a rural area, it seems the outside unit gets dirty rather quickly. We had one new AC put in May, it's already tripped the circuit last month due to dirty coil of the condenser outside. The AC company said it might be dirt or foliage and tried to sell us their maintenance plan for $105/yr. It cost us about $500 to fix it (AC technician + electrician) this time. I figure the annual maintenance might be worth it but not sure. Our own AC never gives us any trouble and it's much older. Is it true that tenants beat up the house badly because it's not theirs?

Another option is to order one time tune up as we see fit.

Any thoughts, advice would be appreciated.

Zoe

0Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y

Sounds pretty detailed. Just keeping the air filters changed would have the biggest impact. I've heard regularly changing the air filter can reduce service calls by 40% or more. I don't do any preventative maintenance unless it's a heating system that services multiple units.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Sounds pretty detailed. Just keeping the air filters changed would have the biggest impact. I've heard regularly changing the air filter can reduce service calls by 40% or more. I don't do any preventative maintenance unless it's a heating system that services multiple units.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 173 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Just keeping the coil clean (through filter changes) as well as the compressor will go a long way. I wouldn't pay for any tune-up as it seems as though individual components will fail over time which are easily diagnosed.  Not worth it IMO 

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thanks Nathan, Charles. 

    Any way to reinforce changing filters? Although it's in the contract, based on one tenant's AC, they never did it. Also most posters here said the same thing.

    Is there any handyman out there who can do this with a small charge?

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    There's a management company near me that advertises a monthly "free filter" program to tenants, they actually drop off a filter every month and I think gives the tenant a little rebate if the tenant turns in the dirty filter.   I can't remember the specifics, but I have been seriously considering stealing that idea..... 

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    There's a management company near me that advertises a monthly "free filter" program to tenants, they actually drop off a filter every month and I think gives the tenant a little rebate if the tenant turns in the dirty filter.   I can't remember the specifics, but I have been seriously considering stealing that idea..... 

     I was contemplating the same thing! But there is always a small chance  that they claim the rebate without actually doing it. Maybe show a picture after? 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Zoe Lee:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    There's a management company near me that advertises a monthly "free filter" program to tenants, they actually drop off a filter every month and I think gives the tenant a little rebate if the tenant turns in the dirty filter.   I can't remember the specifics, but I have been seriously considering stealing that idea..... 

     I was contemplating the same thing! But there is always a small chance  that they claim the rebate without actually doing it. Maybe show a picture after? 

     Make them turn in the old/used one! Otherwise, yep you will wind up with a mini stockpile of clean filters in the front closet and in the furnace it will be 3" thick with dust

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    6y

    I have it in my lease, but I check and change filters if necessary when I do my smoke alarm and property condition inspections biannually. One of those trust but verify things. 

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    6y

    @Zoe Lee

    Sounds like you have a SFR, and HVAC question. Why don't you just get a home warranty? The cost will be around $300-$500 for SFR. I have 4plexs and the annual cost is $900. The home warranty covers the HVAC and more. When have HVAC issue, then just pay the $75 deductible and repair covered.

    The AC is the biggest issue for me since rentals are in Las Vegas.

    Terry

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

    @Zoe Lee

    Sounds like you have a SFR, and HVAC question. Why don't you just get a home warranty? The cost will be around $300-$500 for SFR. I have 4plexs and the annual cost is $900. The home warranty covers the HVAC and more. When have HVAC issue, then just pay the $75 deductible and repair covered.

    The AC is the biggest issue for me since rentals are in Las Vegas.

    Terry

     Terry, which home warranty company did you have? I heard good and bad things. Did they cover preexisting issues? Or try to claim everything preexisting? We had it for one year and felt that way when we had a heater issue. 

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    6y

    @Zoe Lee

    I have HSA Home Warranty. I'm sure there are many to choose from. Overall, the contract states does not cover pre-existing conditions. There is a one month grace period before you begin. For example, you sign up today, then you have to wait for a month before you file a repair request. It's their way of having you sign up and claim something instantly which is a pre-existing condition. 

    If you have AC tech come out, the bill will be at least $300-500. The home warranty will pay for itself after 2 service calls. However, it covers much more than that, appliances, plumber, roof, toilets, drain clogs, etc.

    Just my two cents.

    Terry



    http://www.onlinehsa.com/

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

    @Zoe Lee

    I have HSA Home Warranty. I'm sure there are many to choose from. Overall, the contract states does not cover pre-existing conditions. There is a one month grace period before you begin. For example, you sign up today, then you have to wait for a month before you file a repair request. It's their way of having you sign up and claim something instantly which is a pre-existing condition. 

    If you have AC tech come out, the bill will be at least $300-500. The home warranty will pay for itself after 2 service calls. However, it covers much more than that, appliances, plumber, roof, toilets, drain clogs, etc.

    Just my two cents.

    Terry



    http://www.onlinehsa.com/

    We have a fourplex too. So after the first month they won't deny due to "preexisting conditions"?

    Did HSA cover both labor and parts? Or one not the other?

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

    @Zoe Lee

    Sounds like you have a SFR, and HVAC question. Why don't you just get a home warranty? The cost will be around $300-$500 for SFR. I have 4plexs and the annual cost is $900. The home warranty covers the HVAC and more. When have HVAC issue, then just pay the $75 deductible and repair covered.

    The AC is the biggest issue for me since rentals are in Las Vegas.

    Terry

    .That actually sounds much more expensive, and very likely that they will use a lack of routine maintenance to deny coverage if you arent changing filters anyway.   Would love to hear from others if they are successfully using home warranties in rentals though.  I have not heard good things about the ones that get sold to sellers to give to buyers in retail purchases.
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 930 posts · 836 votes
    6y

    Home warranty companies are not in business to lose money.  My experiences with them is pretty negative.  They will want to keep replacing parts on an obsolete unit rather than replace.  This is really fun, because this can leave you without a/c for weeks during the summer, because their contractors will all be booked solid, the response times will be slow, and they will need to come out 3 times to make each correct repair.

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    6y

    @Zoe Lee

    Okay, you have 4plexs. The cost for my warranty is about $800-900. It gets hot in Las Vegas as well as Plano. The number one issue item is the HVAC, mostly summer, and heater in the winter. H.S.A. will charge $75 deductible and cover labor and parts. For example, I had a freon leak and warranty company covered labor and freon, which on normal is about $500-600 repair. 

    @Kris L. is right about warranty company not in business of losing money. I got cut by HSA one year, probably due to many claims. I just went with another company. Then HSA called back and tried to sell me another policy as they said cut off was a mistake.

    In my experience, the home warranty was worth it. You really don't know until you try it. Also, when you sign up, just pay monthly. This way you can cancel if you don't like the service.

    Terry

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

    @Zoe Lee

    Okay, you have 4plexs. The cost for my warranty is about $800-900. It gets hot in Las Vegas as well as Plano. The number one issue item is the HVAC, mostly summer, and heater in the winter. H.S.A. will charge $75 deductible and cover labor and parts. For example, I had a freon leak and warranty company covered labor and freon, which on normal is about $500-600 repair. 

    @Kris L. is right about warranty company not in business of losing money. I got cut by HSA one year, probably due to many claims. I just went with another company. Then HSA called back and tried to sell me another policy as they said cut off was a mistake.

    In my experience, the home warranty was worth it. You really don't know until you try it. Also, when you sign up, just pay monthly. This way you can cancel if you don't like the service.

    Terry

     $900 for all 4 units, or $3, 600 for the entire fourplex? 

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    6y

    @Zoe Lee

    About $900 for 4 units. I would shop around for quotes. Read the service contract, especially for line item HVAC, as some service two AC's and others will service four.

    Terry

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

    @Zoe Lee

    About $900 for 4 units. I would shop around for quotes. Read the service contract, especially for line item HVAC, as some service two AC's and others will service four.

    Terry

     That's a decent deal. Thanks!

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    6y

    @Zoe Lee

    Below is ad from H.S.A. for annual summer/winter tune up for $75. Isn't that what you asked about in first post?

    Terry


    Exclusively for HSASM HOME WARRANTY Customers.
    SPECIAL OFFER $75
    Now’s the perfect time for an A/C system tune-up.
    Warm weather is almost here, which makes now the best time to ensure your A/C systems are working properly.

    For a limited time, select HSASM approved service contractors are offering a Pre-Season A/C System Tune-up for one unit for $75.*

    Should a covered issue be found that requires fixing, you’ll simply be charged your Trade Call Fee, subject to limitations and exclusions under your HSA Agreement .
    Although not part of the agreement coverage for your A/C system, this thorough tune-up will be performed by a qualified technician who will:
    •Calibrate the thermostat
    •Test the temperature split
    •Check refrigerant levels and system pressures
    •Perform amp draw on condenser motor
    •Check the evaporator motor and compressor
    •Rinse the condenser coils
    •Inspect the contactors
    •Check the condensate lines
    •Clean or replace filters (owner supplied)
    •Tighten and clean the electrical connections
    •Test capacitors and check A/C operations
    •Test safety switches and limit switches
    Schedule Today
    PLEASE NOTE, the Agreement holder is responsible for any cost associated with any problems not covered under the HSA Agreement. In addition, the following are not covered as part of the tune-up:
    •Filters
    •Clearing of condensate line stoppages
    •Recharging of refrigerant
    •Evaporator/indoor coil cleaning, including acid cleaning
    •Cleaning or unclogging services required to correct problems related to the lack of manufacturer recommended maintenance (filters must be replaced monthly)
    •Geothermal systems, ductless mini-split systems, boilers, and oil furnaces
    •Rooftop units
    HSA® plans cover the repair or replacement of many system and appliance breakdowns, but not necessarily the entire system or appliance. Each plan’s agreement includes the full details of its home warranty coverage, including applicable exclusions and limitations.
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    I don’t think the tuneup can be worth it. They’re not fixing, adjusting or repairing anything in that price. They’re just looking for broken things they can charge you to fix, correct?

    The big deal coming up is the r22 to r410 refrigerant change  if you have the old r22 and get a leak you might be forced to buy a new one whereas the warranty MIGHT cover that? Are the systems over 10 years old? (Another reason I might look at it, especially if you’re out state investor.) make sure it covers rentals and replacement and “immediate” service  (I’ve heard stories in Vegas of warranty company’s waiting says to fix a system hoping to wait you out.) they’ll be looking for anyway out if they’re facing a repair that’s 10-20x your premium  

    I have only purchased 2 new units in the previous 14 years with 24 units on 12 SFR in Vegas. At $2600 each I have $5,200 into 24 x 14 = 336 "unit years" or 168 warranty years. About $30 per year per unit per year. I've probably also spent about that same $2600 in repairs (mostly dual run caps) but even with that I've spent less than the average tuneup(which I've never done) per year, much less tuneup and warranty. Maybe $60/year per unit.

  • Contractor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    Tuneups are typically a foot in the door for our industry. This keeps our techs busy in the slower months and almost guarantees a customer when a system fails, because you usually call the company that does your tuneup. 

    The most important thing to guarantee longevity in HVAC systems is good heat transfer. Clean filters inside and a clean coil outside guarantee this. If possible, find a good handyman to change the filter and rinse the coil. Maybe throw him a few more bucks to do a quick walkthrough of the property for you as well. 

    You can also negotiate with the HVAC contractor. Ask what they would charge just to change the filter and rinse the coil.

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Shaw:

    Tuneups are typically a foot in the door for our industry. This keeps our techs busy in the slower months and almost guarantees a customer when a system fails, because you usually call the company that does your tuneup. 

    The most important thing to guarantee longevity in HVAC systems is good heat transfer. Clean filters inside and a clean coil outside guarantee this. If possible, find a good handyman to change the filter and rinse the coil. Maybe throw him a few more bucks to do a quick walkthrough of the property for you as well. 

    You can also negotiate with the HVAC contractor. Ask what they would charge just to change the filter and rinse the coil.

    Matthew, what you said makes a lot of sense. It's very ensuring coming from an AC pro. Any idea how much a handyman would charge for this?

    Still cannot get over the  fact that the ac we put in May has already accumulated enough dirt on the coil to trip the circuit. The AC guy said it could be due to the rural area  having too much dirt or tree foliages. I am not hundred percent convinced. Does that sound reasonable to you? 

  • Contractor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    @Zoe Lee Its hard to say what a handyman would charge. Rates can change dramatically based on if they carry any insurance, have employees, etc. The task you are asking them to perform is very basic, commonly given to apprentice techs straight out of trade school. Pretty much anyone could do it. That being said, my companies labor rate is based on my overhead, not how much the guy I send out to you is getting paid. Unfortunately, costs for insurance, workers comp, licensing, etc. gets passed down to the consumer. If it didn't, none of us would be in business.  

    It is very reasonable to think the coil could have gotten plugged that quickly. I have seen commercial coils in the middle of the city get plugged in 3 months just due to heavy spider activity (their webs). 

    Was the installing contractor the one you had out for the service? $500 for a repair due to a dirty coil seems steep and I can't figure out why an electrician would need to be involved. I would have thought they would have given you a labor warranty with a new install, so maybe the dirty coil claim was to cover a deficiency in their installation that they would have had to eat as a warranty. I don't want to put down my fellow tradesmen, but not all of us are trustworthy.

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Shaw:

    @Zoe Lee Its hard to say what a handyman would charge. Rates can change dramatically based on if they carry any insurance, have employees, etc. The task you are asking them to perform is very basic, commonly given to apprentice techs straight out of trade school. Pretty much anyone could do it. That being said, my companies labor rate is based on my overhead, not how much the guy I send out to you is getting paid. Unfortunately, costs for insurance, workers comp, licensing, etc. gets passed down to the consumer. If it didn't, none of us would be in business.  

    It is very reasonable to think the coil could have gotten plugged that quickly. I have seen commercial coils in the middle of the city get plugged in 3 months just due to heavy spider activity (their webs). 

    Was the installing contractor the one you had out for the service? $500 for a repair due to a dirty coil seems steep and I can't figure out why an electrician would need to be involved. I would have thought they would have given you a labor warranty with a new install, so maybe the dirty coil claim was to cover a deficiency in their installation that they would have had to eat as a warranty. I don't want to put down my fellow tradesmen, but not all of us are trustworth

    Unfortunately the repair guy was not the installer. Since the ac repair part was less than $300 so we only know afterward. We only had part warranty on the ac. Had we knew we would've ask the PM to send the original ac company.

    I think they sent the electrician first cause the complaint was a tripped circuit. Then I guess the electrician found out about the ac so the ac guy was called. The two contractors together charged about $500.  

    I talked to my PM about the ac coil getting clogged up too quickly. Her thought was that it qas due to the filters not being changed on the inside. This sounds reasonable based on your "even heat transfer" theory. Wouldn't you agree?   

  • Contractor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    It sounded to me that the coil that was plugged was the outdoor coil. This is not protected by a filter. If it was the indoor coil, it would be even stranger that the circuit breaker tripped. 

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    We have our handyman install "free" filters once or twice a year just because it gets us in all the units for a look around. We do hope to get a little more formal and timely on this but it's better than nothing and our tenants view it as a plus rather than as an invasion of privacy-- they'll usually bring up problems to him that they wouldn't view as something to report to me.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.