Are you a Scrooge or a Santa Claus?

Are you a Scrooge or a Santa Claus?

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes

Do you give your Tenant a gift, rent reduction, or anything else during the Holiday season? I know many Landlords do this because they think the tenants will appreciate it and respond by paying rent on time, taking care of the home, or staying longer.

What do you think? Do tenants appreciate your kindness? Will you give anything this year? Why or why not?

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
2Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 30k+ posts 路 20k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

Do you give your Tenant a gift, rent reduction, or anything else during the Holiday season? I know many Landlords do this because they think the tenants will appreciate it and respond by paying rent on time, taking care of the home, or staying longer.

What do you think? Do tenants appreciate your kindness? Will you give anything this year? Why or why not?

 Scrooge............No question about it. We. Do. Not. Play.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 East Wenatchee, WA 路 Member since 2014 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    6y

    Each tenant of mine gets a simple holiday card that says I appreciate you. 

    The little bank that holds rent deposit slips for me and let's my people walk in and pay rent among many other things gets a card and gift basket.  Don't forget your quality vendors馃憤

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 30k+ posts 路 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    Do you give your Tenant a gift, rent reduction, or anything else during the Holiday season? I know many Landlords do this because they think the tenants will appreciate it and respond by paying rent on time, taking care of the home, or staying longer.

    What do you think? Do tenants appreciate your kindness? Will you give anything this year? Why or why not?

     Scrooge............No question about it. We. Do. Not. Play.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Saratoga Springs, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 238 posts 路 200 votes
    6y

    @Nathan Gesner This is one of those discussions where Landlords seem to agree to disagree.

    I give a $25 gift certificate to each of my tenants. I do this because I want to, I do not expect anything in return. I have always received positive feedback from each of the tenants.

    What do you do?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Wrentham, MA 路 Member since 2019 路 137 posts 路 104 votes
    6y

    I rent to students.  I send some cookies to the house each semester just before finals and wish them good luck.  I'd like to think that they appreciate it and they always pay the rent on time (i say that with fingers crossed).

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
    6y

    I don't do anything but I'm a company with 350 units under management so it's not really feasible.

    I personally own 22 units and won't be sending a card, gift, or free rent to any of my tenants because I see no evidence that they will care.

    I also like to give gifts without the expectation of anything in return, but I tend to give those to people in need. Business is business. Charity is charity.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor 路 Richmond, VA 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Nathan Gesner,

    When we started, I wanted to do that, but IMO, $25 or cookies/starbucks or a letter, isn't going to really make a difference to anyone, sorry..  Sure, they might think "awww, that's nice" but IMO it's not worth the loss, especially if you have, 20,30, 40+ rentals.

    We decided last year, that we select 1 house and give them $250, on the basis that they have never been late on rent, take great care of the house, and have great communication with us.      That amount gets a heck of a lot more than "awww, that's nice" and I think really makes someone smile!   Think they won't tell their friend about $250 for free from their landlord-- great word of mouth referrals, and it's likely their friends are responsible like them!  All strategic!  

  • Member since 2019 路 295 posts 路 159 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G. My tenants get a nice habitable and safe house for Christmas anything else is not needed and they better hope their lease doesn鈥檛 end anywhere near December because they will receive a rent increase I鈥檓 not family I鈥檓 the landlord and honestly my money is important.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jermell Shavers:

    @Nathan G. My tenants get a nice habitable and safe house for Christmas anything else is not needed and they better hope their lease doesn鈥檛 end anywhere near December because they will receive a rent increase I鈥檓 not family I鈥檓 the landlord and honestly my money is important.

    That's my policy. I provide a safe, clean, functional home, quality customer service, responsive maintenance, simple expectations, and good communication. That's more than most businesses would provide.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.