Unconfounded roommate fears

Unconfounded roommate fears

Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 14 votes

Hello!

In the near future, I will be making a move on a property that I will be house hacking.

However, my soon to be wife is afraid that any roommates we may have that she does not personally know will turn out to be evil, trashy, or serial killers....

I however know that there are plenty of good people out there (especially in our area of Denver) that can be excellent long term tenants.

Aside from a thorough application and screening process, and potentially just getting a duplex so we can have completely separate units, what are some ways you have dealt with fears like these that could hold us back from a great deal?

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y

I  Would Keep  her out of your business decisions going forward 

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    This is a tough one. You are going to need her completely on board especially if this is a roommate you will be sharing a living space with. 

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Derek Hutson

    Personally, I would never house hack unless it’s totally separate units. Having roommates means no privacy unless you want to be cooped up in the bedroom.

    I kinda agree with your wife, not necessarily the serial killers or evilness, but you won’t know how people live until you live with them.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Matt M. Not that I want roommates forever (or for an extended time even), but I feel if they can be a proper roommate, they could be trusted to do well living as a tenant on their own (long term tenant when we move out maybe?)

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I am in the duplex camp firmly. I did the having a "Friend roommate" thing with my first wife. 

    New marriages are hard, buying property is hard, living with roommates is hard. I learned my home needs to be a place where I can go and separate myself from work (and work on my relationship when needed without someone around). You and her may be a whole lot better at it than I was and I hope so. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Derek Hutson

    I’ve gone through the process of finding roommates for about 6 years and the best advice I can give is to do your due diligence on screening and setting clear boundaries.

    The screening process will really show you the quality tenants from the less than ideal ones. I typically run background checks to look for big things but I also ask for previous landlord references and I call them. Definitely call them. You want to make sure they include an address with this as well in case they list a friend who will pretend to be a land lord. I also verify income. You can tailor your application to fit what you are looking for.

    If you will be renting rooms in your house, boundaries are so important to make sure that everyone’s expectations are met and everyone is on the same page. If you are renting out a unit in a duplex this isn’t quite as vital but still worthwhile.

    This is all just advice. I’m not sure what you can and can’t do as far as running background checks in your area so I would make sure you are not violating anyone’s rights before you do so. Hope this helps.

    I’m also new to the BiggerPockets forums so if any info I posted is not appropriate please let me know.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Zachary Nussbaum All sounds good to me! I agree that a thorough background check is important... I plan to even go so far as to go visit their house with them so I can see how they treat where they live. I can't imagine a good, clean, trustworthy tenant would try to hide anything or be fidgety during a thorough application process.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Mike Cumbie Yes, roommates are for sure going to be a short term strategy to set us up for long term (independent-living) success.. If marriage and real estate were easy things to do everybody would be doing them 😂

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Michael Noto She used to be not on board with real estate investing at all, now she at least sees the light with that.. I believe a duplex is going to be the answer I need

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    If you don't already know the person I would pass. Room rentals can be a headache. Not really worth it. You have to also consider your productivity. If you are being bothered by a roommate playing loud music or keeping you up at night it can cost you a lot more then the savings. 

    Roommates are fun when your in college after that not so much. 

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I have never house hacked, but have hired live in nannies for my kids throughout the years.

    One thing that has helped me in choosing people who live in my house is to be very careful where I advertise for people.

    If you go to church, can you advertise at your church?  

    Is there a senior citizen center nearby, and you want someone who generally can keep things clean, but is around a lot, can you advertise there?

    If there is a college with an advanced degree program, can you advertise the room there?

    If you belong to a certain type of work group, hobby group, club, can you advertise there?

    If you can find something in common with the room mate, it helps, or if you can find someone you know at some, even basic level, it helps.

    Advertising in the paper, at the laundromat, yep, some weird down and out people do apply.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.