Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 107 posts · 82 votes
I just finished a rehab of a duplex in Cleveland and moved in a tenant. The city shows up and sticks a notice to vacate because some previous tenant years before I bought the place claimed her kid got lead poisoning. During the rehab I out in all new vinyl windows. The abatement specialist is now quoting a need to remove the new windows and replace them again?
Here is that specific item in the quote: "Install glass block windows with vinyl vent. Remove existing window and components, rap in 6 mil poly tape
and dispose off of premises. HEPA vac all paint chips and dust. $2340"
There are no paint chips from the windows since they are vinyl now. Is there anything that can be done, or do I have to pay the specialist since the city requires it?
Realtor · Raleigh-Durham, NC · Member since 2018 · 324 posts · 218 votes
6y
@Ken Virzi I don't have a perfect answer because I don't know all the laws in Ohio. Usually in MA we replace windows when there or storm drains.
The "HEPA vac all paint chips and dust" refers to the dust that will be created from removing the windows. So currently there is no dust or paint chips, but when the abatement specialist removes the window they are probably also scraping paint. For the inspection to past there virtually has to be no dust left before the abatement specialist is done the job. So very thorough cleaning. I have only been doing this for a bit less than a year (lead abatement) and I do not know a situation where new windows need a replacement. It could be from the old interior paint that is now surrounding the windows that may have contaminated the new windows.
As for lead abatement cost $2340 is relatively very inexpensive. If the city was involved I will assume you're going to have to do this. I would ask the person doing the work though to explain further the need to remove the windows.
I just finished a rehab of a duplex in Cleveland and moved in a tenant. The city shows up and sticks a notice to vacate because some previous tenant years before I bought the place claimed her kid got lead poisoning. During the rehab I out in all new vinyl windows. The abatement specialist is now quoting a need to remove the new windows and replace them again?
Here is that specific item in the quote: "Install glass block windows with vinyl vent. Remove existing window and components, rap in 6 mil poly tape
and dispose off of premises. HEPA vac all paint chips and dust. $2340"
There are no paint chips from the windows since they are vinyl now. Is there anything that can be done, or do I have to pay the specialist since the city requires it?
This sounds like they are talking about basement windows. I'm assuming you replaced the windows of the house (most likely wood double hung, which is what the majority of Cleveland houses had originally) with vinyl replacement windows... but did you touch the basement windows? I doubt the city would want you to install glass block windows in any location other than the basement as they pose a risk in a fire since you cannot open or break them to get out of the house. And $2,340 isn't really that bad to satisfy the city's demand. Installing glass block basement windows ordinarily would not be quite that expensive (unless you have a ton of them), but just be glad that's all they are calling for.
Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 107 posts · 82 votes
6y
Yeah it turns out that what it was. But that was just for the basement windows. So that makes sense. The total was like $4.5k and would have been way worse without the replacement of the house windows.