Tenants replaced a thermostat and caused damage. Now what?

Tenants replaced a thermostat and caused damage. Now what?

Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I'm not sure how to proceed here and hoping to get some opinions on how to proceed. My tenants decided they wanted to updgrade the thermostat so they could control it remotely and tried to replace it without ever notifying me - until they damaged the wires so badly that now an electrician needs to fix it. He sends me this info in email as he's left on a lengthy vacation with the tone as though I need to have it fixed for him upon his return. I don't see how I'm obligated financially or otherwise to remedy this for him. Isn't it breaking the lease to alter the property like this? I need clarity on this. TIA

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Nampa, ID · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 361 votes
6y

Read your lease.  It should have a stipulation about not making repairs.  If it doesn't, I would get that fixed ASAP! In the mean time, I would get it fixed and charge the tenant for causing the damage. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 215 posts · 129 votes
    6y

    @Jessica LaCroix Theis

    Assuming you have the clause in your lease, it would fall under the "no unauthorized modifications". That said, you want this fixed right. Get someone in there to fix it and bill the tenant for the repair.

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    The tenant took it upon themselves to modify your unit without authorization and did damage in the process..... they are responsible for paying for the fix.... and bill them NOW.... do not wait to take it from the deposit when they leave... Send them another copy of the lease with that section highlighted and the estimate for the repair.....get it fixed and send them the bill, payable on receipt
  • Real Estate Agent · Nampa, ID · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 361 votes
    6y

    Read your lease.  It should have a stipulation about not making repairs.  If it doesn't, I would get that fixed ASAP! In the mean time, I would get it fixed and charge the tenant for causing the damage. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Jessica LaCroix Theis  The guy has nerve, but he's done you a favour by letting you know.  Tell him you will have this repaired at HIS expense.  Ask your electrician if you can use the thermostat that your tenant wanted installed or not.  The tenant must leave this in place when he leaves and that if he does any modifications without receiving authorization from you before it is done, he will need to find another place to live.

    And don't wait for him to come back.  Simply send him notice 24 hours in advance as to when you will be doing this and let yourself in.  Hopefully there is heat in the unit at the moment.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Thanks all for the support/suggestions. I do have a clause stating no alterations- in addition to having a very specific conversation with him about no modifications allowed at the lease signing. What I'm reading from everyone is that I should handle the repair? I was going to tell him it's his responsibility to fix it- start to finish. Seems like that's not recommended?
  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jessica LaCroix Theis

    Fix it, send him the bill, have beer, and enjoy NYE!

  • Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2019 · 186 posts · 156 votes
    6y

    You submit your before and after pictures to the tenant along with the bill from the contractor/handyman. You explain the terms of the payment and the repercussions if they don’t pay. You explain how everyone is treated fairly and the same so if non payment of the repair becomes and issue then just like every tenant before them your forced to file and eviction to ensure everyone is treated fairly.  

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jessica LaCroix Theis:
    Thanks all for the support/suggestions. I do have a clause stating no alterations- in addition to having a very specific conversation with him about no modifications allowed at the lease signing. What I'm reading from everyone is that I should handle the repair? I was going to tell him it's his responsibility to fix it- start to finish. Seems like that's not recommended?

    If you have him fix it, how do you know it is going to be done right?  This way you have control over what is done and how it is done.

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Best to handle the repair yourself to make sure it s done correctly. Let a tenant do it and you can bet it will be done the absolute cheapest way.... which often means the job is done poorly...... and eventually you will get stuck with fixing that...
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.