Tenants leaving laundry room and trash area very messy

Tenants leaving laundry room and trash area very messy

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi all, I am the manager at the building I live at and I've been having this problem with the tenants in my building. It's a 20 unit building and on trash days, the tenants keep leaving their trash bags by where the bin should go, however it is out front to be collected. Today, I saw a 4-5 bags and I walked them out to the front and put them in the dumpster. Later, I came home to find 4-5 more bags and the dumpster had already been emptied and placed back. I reviewed the tapes and saw that there was no dumpster when the tenants left the trash there but still. Is there anything I can do, I'm over having to this every trash pick up day. The laundry room is the same thing, they leave empty detergent bottles hidden behind the washers and the laundry room is right next to the dumpster!

0Reply
6 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Christian A Garrido  Is there anything in the lease that allows you to fine them?  You have the offenders on tape, go and talk to them.  It could be something as simple as they can't lift the bags into the bin (thinking it is a large 5 foot high bin).  People are lazy.  Put up signs that say the area is under surveillance...or smile you are are on camera.

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2019 · 158 posts · 117 votes
    6y

    lOL - Reminds me of my college roommate. He figured since he was being "ripped off" by high prices he deserved to have others pick up after him. After all, he's paying for the service!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Write a very simple letter to the tenants reminding them of the trash policy. Then let them know that if they fail to place their trash in the receptacle provided then you will start charging each tenant an additional $20 a month for trash service.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.