Do I let Tennats know of new owners?

Do I let Tennats know of new owners?

Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 3 votes

Hey, I’m selling my rental properties with tenants still in it. Other than what the contract already says about tenants being fine with any changes of ownership, should I still state that their is a new owner through a different document, if so what kind?

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
    6y

    I would imagine the new owners will reach out to let them know where to pay the rent, since it will no longer go to you.

    If you want, send them a letter letting them know when your ownership will cease and that the new owner will reach out with the information on new management, etc. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Some states may have a formal document that you can look up, but I don't know of anything off the top of my head. 
    When we recently purchased a home with tenants in place, the former property manager sent a typed up letter that essentially said effective this date, the property has been sold to a new owner and will no longer be managed by said company. Your deposit and pro-rated rent has been transferred over to new owner along with all lease documents. Your current lease will be honored through x date. New owner and/or property manager will be contacting you with info on where to send all future rent payments. 

  • Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 731 votes
    6y

    @Kelley Phan, look up your local regulations.  Some states have this procedure already detailed.

    If not, I would be proactive telling the tenant AFTER the closing.  It's important to tell them:

    • New landlord/manager contact info
    • Their lease remains intact.  However, new LL/PM might require an addendum to switch out ownership details
    • The new LL/PM must honor their lease
    • Their security deposit is being returned or transferred
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.