Do I replace a roof that isn't leaking?

Do I replace a roof that isn't leaking?

Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes

Newbie here! I have my first investment property under contract and have a list of items I will be working on upgrading before renting it out. The roof currently has two layers and IS NOT leaking but does show significant age.  Would you replace the roof now, or wait it out?

I have a couple of bids and it would cost me $5800 to replace.

1Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
6y

You might be able to wait a couple more years but..... Why would you wait until the roof leaks and does more damage before you replace it?  Do you wait until your tires blow out to replace them???

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    In my area I can have a roof torn off and replaced in less than 8 hours. What is significant age? Curled edges? All granules gone? Missing shingles? If it just "looks" old, but no leaks - and you're sure of the no leaks - then I probably wait. 

    I do anything that would be a significant hassle for the tenants before I get anyone in there. A replacement roof is generally not something that's a hassle for the tenants. The companies I use have 8-15 guys and get it done ridiculously fast. I've had a roof put on after the tenant left for work and before they came home. They never even knew the company was there. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Wait until you have to.  The roof may last another 5 years by that point the rents will have covered the cost of replacing.  

  • Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
    6y

    You might be able to wait a couple more years but..... Why would you wait until the roof leaks and does more damage before you replace it?  Do you wait until your tires blow out to replace them???

  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
    6y

    I agree with @Jacob Sampson - just hang onto it for now.  Not sure if you get hailstorms up there like we do in DFW...but a timely storm may just get that replacement done for you anyhow.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis  By showing its age do you mean curling and bare shingles?  Aim to have it replaced in the near future.  What happens if you have a big storm and the roof starts leaking?  Plus your insurance might go down if you have a new roof.

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2019 · 237 posts · 169 votes
    6y

    I would wait until you have to as this will effect the cash flow you are receiving from your rent. It is good to be proactive with things like this but if there is no urgency I would wait until you have some funds from the rent built up before replacing the roof. You can use your money now to update more tenant facing features of the unit aka the cosmetic end but I would wait a few more years before taking action on the roof.

  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Unless you are flipping don’t replace old roofs until it’s leaking.

    The one exception would be a house that has a spray foam insulated roof. You won’t know about a roof leak until your decking is rotted to dust and you’ll have a 30k roof, sheeting, insulation bill to pay.

    But normal vented roof rentals don’t throw money anyway.

  • Investor · Rockford · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 46 votes
    6y

    if it starts leaking and you or your tenants don't notice right away it's going to cost you more than 5800. Very small leaks can start and get plywood wet. That will rot away or mold and before you see a leak you might be replacing several if not sections of wood. We usually charge 30 to 40 bucks a sheet to replace. It adds up quick

  • Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thanks everyone for the sound advice.  I believe I'm going to wait and set aside the funds for replacement in a few years.  I talked to my insurance agent and they are covering the roof.  

    @Jacob Sampson- I'm my area hail storms are common.  Fingers crossed that we get one and I can get it replaced with insurance.  :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis -  I replace if it's within 1-3 years (assuming it's within budget).  I'd deal with the problem while there isn't actually any problem.  I've had roofs spring leaks mid winter, or during a 2 week rain.  It costs ALOT more to replace the roof then, and to repair all of the water logged insulation and sheetrock.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    6y

    I think if its old and time to replace, go ahead and knock it out. Its unlikely that waiting 2 or 3 more years will help you anyway. If you hold on to the house for the rest of your life, you still probably are only buying one roof for it in that time. If the hailstorn comes and you have a newer roof, insurance will still pay to replace it.

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Pictures speak a thousand words. What might look fine to you, could be a total loss to a trained eye. I'd post a few pics for assessment. You could find a good roofer in your area to come out and get it checked out for free. They will also know when the last storms passed and if you could have a valid claim already. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Haarlem, NH · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis

    If you can I would replace it before renters get in it. If you choose a good quality shingle you can be set for 30 years. Yes it's more now, but in the long run, you won't have pitential damage.

    I worked for a roofing company ( my in-laws own one and my husband put himself through grad school roofing) and sometimes there's a lot more damage than just a leak. And if your tenants don't notice or care much about the property, they may not tell you for a while.

    Good luck with it!

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Troy Purvis:

    Thanks everyone for the sound advice.  I believe I'm going to wait and set aside the funds for replacement in a few years.  I talked to my insurance agent and they are covering the roof.  

    @Jacob Sampson- I'm my area hail storms are common.  Fingers crossed that we get one and I can get it replaced with insurance.  :)

     If the roof is really bad, you may have trouble getting the insurance company to cover it. They can just argue the age/condition of the roof was the issue and not hail. I am not saying you need to replace it today, but if it is really bad, I would plan for replacement before it leaks.

    Can we see pictures to see what you mean by bad?

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    How bad are we talking? I’d have a pro do an inspection and estimate 

    You are basically asking a crystal ball question.... no one can predict the exact future of the roof..... it may last you years with no issue or it may leak in the dead of winter and cost you 3x as much .... no one really know. You collect the facts and make the decision You feel comfortable with..... and hindsight is 20:20

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Troy Purvis:

    Thanks everyone for the sound advice.  I believe I'm going to wait and set aside the funds for replacement in a few years.  I talked to my insurance agent and they are covering the roof.  

    @Jacob Sampson- I'm my area hail storms are common.  Fingers crossed that we get one and I can get it replaced with insurance.  :)

    If you hope for hail, be sure you have replacement value coverage and not actual cash value coverage. Otherwise you are going to get ACV on a depreciated roof, which sounds like it might be more or less everything in your case. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Troy, I would add one thing to the discussion, there may be an insurance component to your decision. Most of our better markets for Rented Dwellings will inspect and worn roof may prompt a recommendation to have it replaced or they will cancel. Discuss this with your agent and be prepared to pull the trigger on the replacement within 30-60 days if it turns out to be an issue.
  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis you'll likely have insurance issues if you don't replace the roof before /just after you close. I wouldn't do it for any other reason other than insurance. Two layers doesn't impact insurance in my market, but obvious damage does!  

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Mocker:

    Troy,
    I would add one thing to the discussion, there may be an insurance component to your decision. Most of our better markets for Rented Dwellings will inspect and worn roof may prompt a recommendation to have it replaced or they will cancel. Discuss this with your agent and be prepared to pull the trigger on the replacement within 30-60 days if it turns out to be an issue.

    I had this happen with one of my houses that had a metal shingle roof. Insurance was going to drop me unless I replaced it with a standard acceptable roof. So I replaced it with an architectural shingle and my insurance went up. When I asked why they told me because the old roof was more fireproof. So go figure 🙄

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis

    This will depend on your particular interpretation of showing significant age. At minimum, monitor every six months with a good 15-20 minute inspection in the attic. This assumes no asbestos insulation is up there. Just remain positive there are no leaks, once you see signs of any water getting in have it done immediately (and consider if that’s possible in your region all winter long).

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis Congrats on the house!

    I'd have a pro look at it and make a recommendation unless you're flipping. 

    You're going to pay the $5800 eventually so waiting for a leak will just add to the repair amount.  And, I don't know about the rest of folks here but I avoid filing insurance claims unless it's major.  Insurance shouldn't be for when a home owner is reluctant to fix a known issue.

    It's a maintenance vs repair issue and is a personal choice for each of us.  Are you the type that waits for his car to breakdown or do you follow the recommended maintenance schedule.  Same principles apply to a house.   

  • Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Troy Purvis:

    Newbie here! I have my first investment property under contract and have a list of items I will be working on upgrading before renting it out. The roof currently has two layers and IS NOT leaking but does show significant age.  Would you replace the roof now, or wait it out?

    I have a couple of bids and it would cost me $5800 to replace.

    Absolutely not. If the roof is functioning as intended you do not need to replace it now. With that being said, ensure you keep sufficient CapEx on hand and available for when that roof does need to be replaced

  • Rental Property Investor · MI · Member since 2019 · 192 posts · 205 votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis

    If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. If your insurance company passes it, leave it alone.

  • Rental Property Investor · Collegeville Pa · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis

    How old is the roof?

  • Healthcare · Glendora, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Troy Purvis

    These are my asks when I have a roof replaced, roof will last a long time!:

    1. The existing shingles on the roof will be removed.

    2. The deck will then be inspected for any water-damaged plywood and repairs if necessary will be made with sheet of

    7/16” OSB decking.

    3. One layer of a synthetic base sheet will be installed.

    4. The existing plumbing pipe flashings will be removed and new lead pipe flashings will be installed and painted

    approximately the same color as the shingle.

    5. New 18” valley metal flashing will be installed on the valleys. Leak barrier installed on valley & eaves.

    6. New factory painted metal drip edge will be installed on the perimeter of the roof.

    7. New shingle starter strip will be installed over the metal edge.

    8. Existing vents will be removed and new vents will be installed.

    9. New hip and ridge will be installed.

    10. New Owens Corning Duration architectural shingles with SureNail strip will be installed with 1 ¼ inch galvanized

    roofing nails at six nails per shingle.

    11. The job site will be kept clean on a daily basis.

    12. A roller magnet will be used to pick up any nails on the ground.

    13. All debris will be removed from the job site

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.