Renting a 5 bedroom home in Charlotte, NC

Renting a 5 bedroom home in Charlotte, NC

Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 103 votes

Hey BP!

I am thinking about purchasing my childhood home! My parents are baby boomers and looking to downsize this year. They aren't ready to sell just yet but we have talked and I'm thinking it's going to be my next long term investment. It is currently a 4 bed/ 2.5 bath home on a large corner lot in Sardis Woods, a southeast neighborhood of Charlotte. It has a formal living room, dining room, breakfast nook, large kitchen, living room, laundry and half bath on the main level. The four beds and two full baths are on the second level. I am thinking about turning the formal living room on the main level into a bedroom and perhaps turning the half bath into a full by removing some of the square footage in the formal dining room. Rentometer states that we could get about $3700 for a 5 bedroom home. I am from Charlotte but have been living in Chicago for the past 5 years and SOOOO much has changed since I moved. What is realistic for a 5 bedroom home as far as rent rates go? Is a full month security deposit still standard in today's rental market? I know there are a lot of millennials (just like me) in Charlotte so the rental population is high but would a 5 bedroom be in demand? If I kept it as a 4 bedroom home Rentometer says $1850 is the current median rent rate. So see why I'd like to add another bedroom? Haha. Plus it wouldn't be difficult. I'd only need to add a door and closet. It already has windows. This would be my first single-family rental as a landlord. We currently only own multifamilies in the midwest. Thanks for your help in advance!!! 

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 29 votes
6y

Rentometer (and Zillow) has limitations, I would not base a purchase off of it. If you want to PM me the address and your email I can pull some actual rent comps for you.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    Rentometer (and Zillow) has limitations, I would not base a purchase off of it. If you want to PM me the address and your email I can pull some actual rent comps for you.

  • Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 103 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Stringari:

    Rentometer (and Zillow) has limitations, I would not base a purchase off of it. If you want to PM me the address and your email I can pull some actual rent comps for you.

    Good morning Kevin. Thank you for replying to my forum post. Our home is located in the Sardis Woods neighborhood at 1030 Wishing Well Lane 28270. In the past for my rentals I’ve strayed away from Rentometer just to come back down the the price they stated in order get it rented. However, I understand that I am in a completely different market and have a lot to learn about the Charlotte market. If you could run comps for me that would be much appreciated. I will need a property manager to and contractors to assist me with the property while since I live in Chicago so thank you for reaching out. 

  • Burlington, CT · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Keep us posted on how you make out with this rental, My parents are in Charlotte and I was looking to invest from afar, I am a Connecticut resident.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    @Derek Labbie we do property management in Charlotte and have owners that want to sell from time to time. If you are serious about investing in the area pm me and I might be able to help you.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 493 posts · 386 votes
    6y

    Keep in mind even if rentometer estimate is correct, $3700 is in the high end in CLT even for a 5 BR. It will not be easy finding a qualify tenant. 

  • Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 935 posts · 467 votes
    6y

    I would sell that house and Re deploy the capital to two 3/2 for diversification. You will never get near the $3700 for that property but you could get close with two smaller homes.  The whole area off Monroe road is exploding and being redefined as the MORA district, you wouldn’t recognize it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.