Do you do a move out inspection WITH the tenant?

Do you do a move out inspection WITH the tenant?

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I usually have not. In the past when a couple people asked when we would do the walk through together after moving out, I declined because I don't want to have a debate with them, I compare the before pictures with the move in report against the current condition.

However, I'm wondering if it's not a bad idea to do it with this tenant. It gives me a chance to point out any outstanding items. The other day when I was there as they were cleaning out, I mentioned that I had noticed the fridge handle was gone. It had been removed for some reason and put in the freezer...these are two dentists mind you...not crack heads...still thought it strange but had they not pointed out that it was in the freezer I would have had to figured out a way to fix it. I had already searched high and low, Maytag discontinued making parts for this fairly young fridge...so I bought parts from the store to epoxy a handle to it. Had they not mentioned the handle was in the freezer, I would have done that instead of putting the original handle back on.

Also, since I do a move IN inspection with the tenant, I figured it might actually make sense to do a move OUT inspection with the tenant as well.
 


What say ye?

0Reply
135 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

You don't want to inspect until the property is empty and once the property is empty, the tenants aren't there either. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Paul Hillyard:

    @John Teachout so if you find issues during this inspection, how do you make the now-gone tenants liable?

     Deduct the amount of damages from the security deposit. Most states require a written statement of damage deductions and the remaining security deposit to be returned within 30 days of the lease ending (move out).

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 122 votes
    6y

    I like to do an initial walk through about 2 weeks prior to move out.  Here I simply outline my expectations for the tenant at move out.  Point out any normally overlooked cleaning items, minor items the tenant can handle like replacing broken blinds, ensuring their lawn is mowed, and changing light bulbs.  This puts the responsibility on the tenants shoulders.  I want to be able to give back every dime of the deposit which makes less work for me at turn over and keeps the tenant happy.  Like others mentioned before surprises are what tenants get angry about.

    I do a final walk through at their lease end date.  Collect the keys, make sure the property is empty, get a forwarding address, get some feedback from the tenant on making the experience better for the next person.  I've found meeting them in person greatly increases the odds of everything getting done.

    I also have sworn off doing a full move out inspection with the tenants present.  It takes a good amount of time and I'm not having someone over my shoulder arguing with every detail.  

    When you withhold from the deposit just make sure you have documentation on every item and provide an itemize list within your states required time frame.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Noto:

    Highly recommend doing the move out inspection after the tenant fully vacates and doing it by yourself without them around. You have time to get them back their deposit so there is no need to rush. You want to document and take pictures. If they are there they will be hovering over you and you are more likely to miss things. 

     Just saw this but yeah, that's what I told them when they kept pushing to be there, trying to get me to go at 9 PM at night on a Friday....I flat out told them I'm sorry they misunderstood but as I stated before I don't do inspections with tenants moving out. I'm required to on move in but not move out and find that I am distracted when others are present and like to take my time. I did not mention that I take date and GPS time stamped pictures before move in and upon move out because I have learned NOT to tip my hand. They backed down. Worked out much better this way, they are getting their full deposit back. Plus they gave me about 1K of free stuff, patio set, TV, washer and dryer that were almost new, etc. (they put their own in and moved mine to storage with my permission).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.