Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Do you do a move out inspection WITH the tenant?

Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Jan 29 2020, 20:38

I usually have not. In the past when a couple people asked when we would do the walk through together after moving out, I declined because I don't want to have a debate with them, I compare the before pictures with the move in report against the current condition.

However, I'm wondering if it's not a bad idea to do it with this tenant. It gives me a chance to point out any outstanding items. The other day when I was there as they were cleaning out, I mentioned that I had noticed the fridge handle was gone. It had been removed for some reason and put in the freezer...these are two dentists mind you...not crack heads...still thought it strange but had they not pointed out that it was in the freezer I would have had to figured out a way to fix it. I had already searched high and low, Maytag discontinued making parts for this fairly young fridge...so I bought parts from the store to epoxy a handle to it. Had they not mentioned the handle was in the freezer, I would have done that instead of putting the original handle back on.

Also, since I do a move IN inspection with the tenant, I figured it might actually make sense to do a move OUT inspection with the tenant as well.

What say ye?

Loading replies...