New Landlord - help give notice to tenants

New Landlord - help give notice to tenants

Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 10 votes

I am a new landlord and proud owner of my first duplex house hack, will save that for its own post.

But I have tenants that are M2M, and I am looking to give them notice as I plan on renovating the unit. They have 60 day notice but sooner would be better.

Is there any specific law I need to follow or can I just type up a formal letter and drop it in their mailbox? Does it go with the first of the month or is it 60 days from notice?

Also, I’m looking for opinions on best way to handle this? Face to face, call, letter?

They are good tenants and nice people so just want to handle it the right way.

Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

0Reply
20 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 731 votes
    6y

    Before you send them a notice, increase the rents! There's no better way of increasing your ROI than simply asking.

    If they have an issue with increased rent, then provide the notice.  A letter should be fine.  There are templates online you can copy or buy.

    Follow your lease and state laws.  They might require a 30 or 60 day notice.  I would send them the official letter but also have a phone conversation.

    But seriously,  raise the rents before you renovate.

  • Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Kenny Dahill thanks for the input. Regarding the Reno, I really want to take a try and ABNB the property as it’s a great fit and something I want exposure to.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Chris Bluem  Check your local laws and simply give them notice.  If you want them out sooner, you could offer them $ to leave sooner.

  • Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Theresa Harris thank you! I think they have 60 days but I was thinking to offer $500 if they get out in 30.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Chris Bluem:

    @Theresa Harris thank you! I think they have 60 days but I was thinking to offer $500 if they get out in 30.

     That sounds like a good option.  It gives them time to find another place, but they are out sooner.

  • Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 731 votes
    6y

    @Chris Bluem, if that's the case then it is wise to proceed.  However, I would time it with your peak season to avoid starting during the lull.

    I just converted two of my rentals to AirBNB in January.  This is peak season in Arizona.  However, if I were to convert my other units I would probably wait until late summer because I'm assuming our summer months will generate less than our long-term rents.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Contact a local attorney and see what the proper steps are to give notice to a month to month tenant. They should give you a letter that you can use again and again if necessary for the future.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Chris Bluem:

    I am a new landlord and proud owner of my first duplex house hack, will save that for its own post.

    But I have tenants that are M2M, and I am looking to give them notice as I plan on renovating the unit. They have 60 day notice but sooner would be better.

    Is there any specific law I need to follow or can I just type up a formal letter and drop it in their mailbox? Does it go with the first of the month or is it 60 days from notice?

    Also, I’m looking for opinions on best way to handle this? Face to face, call, letter?

    They are good tenants and nice people so just want to handle it the right way.

    Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

    You can start by purchasing "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorneys with the specific laws for your state, and it's chalk full of practical advice.

    I would not recommend in-person communication. Send them a written notice that is short and professional. Send it certified mail so you can track receipt. I think it's a good idea to offer a bonus if they are out earlier. You may also want to include a separate page with instructions for leaving the home clean and offering to refund their deposit within five days or something.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.