Can I advertise a property for rent before I buy?

Can I advertise a property for rent before I buy?

Rental Property Investor · Altoona, PA · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 4 votes

So I’m looking at an ideal split level conversion property. But, I don’t want to run the risk of sitting with a vacant property for two months after I purchase. It’s move in ready and rentable.

To give myself ultimate comfort I want to advertise and “verbally” confirm a tenant or two.

Is this illegal in PA? Is it risky? Need tips. I can pay the mortgage without a tenant BUT how nice would be it to have rent to pay for the mortgage and help you get over the closing costs right away?

Best

Lake

0Reply
50 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2019 · 158 posts · 117 votes
    6y

    Yes, advertise with the permission of the owner.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 718 posts · 913 votes
    6y

    This sounds like a terrible idea from a practical standpoint.  So much can go wrong in the purchase of a property, including delays in closing, which means you won't be able to perform if you don't own the property.  Also, a verbal confirmation with a tenant is worth nothing and in no way obligates them to perform.  Basically, you are just collecting unenforceable expressions of interest.  Moreover, how can you collect any money without a written lease in place?  I would close on the property and then advertise it for rent as the lawful owner.  Much, much cleaner.

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Lake Ingle

    I do it all the time and it definitely gives you an advantage.

  • Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2018 · 401 posts · 244 votes
    6y

    We did this with the 8 plex we just bought.  It was in the contract, and we also had verbal permission from the owner.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 45 votes
    6y

    A good realtor should be able to help you include this language in the purchase contract and also create a lease agreement with a prospective tenant that is contingent upon the sale going through.  We have done this in the past but were explicit in our purchase contract about our right to advertise the property for lease.  Likewise, we secured a tenant and signed a lease agreement contingent upon the property closing, but were actually able to add a clause to the sales contract for a lease-back option from the seller to the tenant for a few days when our closing was delayed. IE, our tenant moved in on the original agreed upon sale closing date/ leasing date, and we paid the seller a few hundred dollars for the couple of extra business days it took us to close (effectively giving them the rent for those days).  Again, I highly recommend being above board with both parties and have strong written agreements in place. 

  • Investor · Lunenburg, MA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    We have done it with the permission of the seller.  It is nice to have someone ready to move right in.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 360 posts · 213 votes
    6y

    Talk to your realtor or brokerage to help you verbiage well and get permission from the current owner while you get the transaction done.. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 323 votes
    6y

    I've had good success with this.  Once under contract, my agent gets permission from the seller agent and owners.  She lists and starts showing the house up to a month before closing.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Lake I. you say it's move-in ready so the following may not apply, but during a condo purchase a couple years ago I got permission from the owner to fix a minor code violation and clean just before closing.  The date of closing my listing went up and I started getting applicants right away.

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    You wouldn't wanna sign any leases until closing, but no reason you couldn't advertise it for rent and start setting up showings. I wouldn't do this 3 months in advance of closing. Maybe 1 month before close. Of course, get sellers permission.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.