Im a week into my first BRRRR on a fourplex and just got a call from the police that they caught a guy breaking into my fourplex. It is completely vacant and currently being renovated. The units are not livable for another few weeks so getting people in them is not an option at the moment. What security system can be used so I can monitor activity there? Ive also seen some motion sensors that just blast a really loud siren when sensing motion and if I tell the neighbors to call the police if they hear it, that can cause a distraction enough to make people leave? I'm not sure what options I have that can provide good security without having access to WiFi. Thanks for your help everyone!
REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Trail cams.
If you go on the cheap get a couple and point them at each other so that when the yahoo pulls one down another one catches them (this is the cheap catch them later route). They also have the trail cams that cost about 15 a month added to your cell plan and it will alert you just like home security cameras. It's like adding a tablet to your plan though so it can add up if you have a couple.
REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Trail cams.
If you go on the cheap get a couple and point them at each other so that when the yahoo pulls one down another one catches them (this is the cheap catch them later route). They also have the trail cams that cost about 15 a month added to your cell plan and it will alert you just like home security cameras. It's like adding a tablet to your plan though so it can add up if you have a couple.
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y
@Andrew McGibbon we use My Alarm Center they do WIFI and Cellular monitoring and have their own network. Don't know if that will help in your situation or not. I can monitor from my cell phone-I think they all do that.
@Bjorn Ahlblad that sounds like something that could work well. Do they offer non monitoring or monthly billing? Since my rehab's will only take a few weeks, I don't want long contracts or anything. Their site just wants me to contact a sales person. Doesn't give me a lot of specific info. Thanks for the recommendation.
@Mike Cumbie I really want to catch something in action, not just have proof that it happened. I appreciate the help!
Is there a guest Wifi close enough? Tim Hortons? Walmart guest etc? I know our cable provider has a program that because I am a subscriber it throws me around to all their networks if I want and many places have their local guest to auto hook to. Perhaps a camera can hook to that?
@Mike Cumbie that is a great thought. There is only 1 fourplex near mine and nothing else around it. I wonder if one of those tenants has an unsecured network or if I could convince one of them for $20 to let me on their wifi for a month. Great idea! I'll look into that!