Broken Dryer Issue

Broken Dryer Issue

Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 2 votes

Tenant who has been in the unit for about 2 months contacted me the other day about the in unit stacked dryer being broken. For reference, it's stacked, with the washer on the bottom and the gas dryer on top in a custom closet, it's fully enclosed with one of those vented folding doors on it. There was an error code and it wouldn't work, the unit is just over a year old, so out of warranty. I researched and it turns out the code indicates something overheated and it's a failsafe to replace a specific part. I just called a repair company who was able to meet the tenant same day and the part is on order.

I head over to the building today to do my usual changing of the air filters and general inspection of each unit. I decide to check out the dryer myself, to no surprise, it had the issues and won't work. However, I notice the tenant decided to stack a bunch of moving boxes to the sides of the unit. I mean packed in there nice and tight, as many as he could cram. Common sense indicates that 1. it's a fire hazard and 2. it's restricting the airflow and probably caused the overheating.

I called the repair place and talked to the tech, he confirmed that the cardboard was there when he showed up, so at least the tenant can't claim he just happened to put it there yesterday. But he hemmed and hawed as to whether the cardboard caused the damage and said it could be a blocked vent, but he would know more when the part comes in and they do the fix. The repair will cost me at least $210.

My question is, how should I play this? To me it seems like common sense that this guy caused the problem. My issue is, if I deduct it from his deposit and he contests it, I will have to prove to a judge with absolute certainty that he did this. Deposit penalties where I am are insane and just wouldn't be worth it on the chance I lost. I've already sent an email telling him to move the cardboard because it's a fire hazard and he has acknowledged it, apologized and said he will move it.

I know I screwed up by trusting this guy would have some damn common sense and not inspecting the issue in person. Had I seen the cardboard, the whole thing would have been different and I would have put the repair on him. Lesson learned. Also, I know that a lot of the experts don't like providing in unit W/D, but where I am, apartments in these neighborhoods always provide laundry. It's just standard to have them in nicer units as absolutely no one owns their own to bring along. The better tenants that I cater to expect this and will pay for it; going to a laundromat isn't an option.

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

This is a tough one. I'm not sure the boxes caused it to overheat, as the heat exits through the vent pipe and you are already in a tiny space. I would probably tell the tenant that he needs to keep that area clear in the future.

As far as the dryer, I had something similar happen to my dryer at home. It would shut itself down and just spin with no heat. There is a sensor that shuts off the gas when the temperature hits 300 degrees. This is to prevent a fire. Once the temperature drops some, the gas will fire back up. I learned a lot about this dryer by completely disassembling it and researching it on the web. The sensor that I needed was $50 for a GE sensor, or $3 for an aftermarket. I couldn't believe the price difference! I went with the cheaper sensor and two years later, all is well.

I would ask the repair guy if there is a cheaper part available. The name brand parts are a rip off.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    This is a tough one. I'm not sure the boxes caused it to overheat, as the heat exits through the vent pipe and you are already in a tiny space. I would probably tell the tenant that he needs to keep that area clear in the future.

    As far as the dryer, I had something similar happen to my dryer at home. It would shut itself down and just spin with no heat. There is a sensor that shuts off the gas when the temperature hits 300 degrees. This is to prevent a fire. Once the temperature drops some, the gas will fire back up. I learned a lot about this dryer by completely disassembling it and researching it on the web. The sensor that I needed was $50 for a GE sensor, or $3 for an aftermarket. I couldn't believe the price difference! I went with the cheaper sensor and two years later, all is well.

    I would ask the repair guy if there is a cheaper part available. The name brand parts are a rip off.

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 283 posts · 81 votes
    13y

    It is your problem. Tenants are going to do dumb stuff no matter how smart they are.

    I once had a tenant who was a scientist at a major drugmaker call me from inside the property telling me that her CO monitor was beeping. I went to the house and found out it was the low battrey beep.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Is the dryer vented to the outside? If so, these boxes are probably not the source of the problem. OTOH, if the dryer just blows air into the closet, then they may well be the problem. But in either case its not going to be obvious to the tenant they shouldn't put boxes there. What seems like common sense to you may not be to someone else.

    I would fix the dryer (actually, I wouldn't provide washers and dryers, but that's a different question). If the dryer doesn't vent to the outside, I'd make sure the tenant knows not to put anything else in these.

    Don't worry, more stuff will happen like this. Its just part of the deal. In the words of Hyman Roth "This is the business we have chosen."

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Thanks to everyone for their quick replies! I've had my share of stupid from tenants and sadly, now that I think about it, this one isn't even the worst.

    The dryer is definitely vented to the outside. You are all right, I will just pay for the repair, I was going to fix it anyways, because it just needs to be done, but I won't press on it with the tenant.

    Jon, you are right, it is absolutely part of the deal. For me, I added a W/D to a unit that didn't have one at all; the increase alone in rent paid for the W/D and the work in about 6 months. But I do know I'm playing with fire :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Normally, when a washer or dryer is installed in an enclosed area, such as in a closet as described in the OP, the installation instructions for those appliances will have some minimum clearances to be maintained around the unit to allow for airflow. So the boxes could have caused these minimum clearances to not be met.

    But as Rob K has said, it's going to be hard to prove that was the exact cause.

    Due to lack of common sense in many people - including homeowners (not just tenants) - I have some documents that I supply with the lease to explain some of the simplest matters that normally fall under common sense - like changing batteries in the alarms :)

  • Milton, MA · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Those boxes are a major fire hazard and should be removed before they are allowed to use it again. You may want to include a stipulation in a building policy that nothing should be stored within X inches ( it will be in your installation manual) of the equipment, the thermal overload may just be defective like he said. That being said you should also make sure that the vent is clean of lint build up and that it is also not kinked or bent too sharply, also check the lint trap in the dryer. These are all obvious things that the Tech should check but some of those guys are lazy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.