Allure Fooring

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
13y

You'll get what you pay for. If you want a floor you might be able to get 5-20 years out of, go with allure and spend a few more dollars. If you want a floor that's toast after your tenant's kid spills a bunch of cool-aide, go with a laminate. After you work in the added time to install a laminate, you're barely saving any money, for an inferior floor. I have installed both of them, and allure is much faster and easier to do.
I'm not the biggest fan of its looks, but the people that have seen it have always told me they like it.
The most successful landlord I know has this product in many, many units.
Over time, with Allure, the savings are definately there.
On the short term, with laminate, pad and labor, the savings are, like I said, marginal.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Ah. Interesting. Now I see why people are recommending them for rentals. Water proof (comparably speaking) and you can piece them out.

    Just not sure if it makes when compared to tile - at least for kitchen and bathrooms.

    To put down durock and tile, I'm getting hit with about $4 total for both per sq ft. Plus the tile is usually $1. $5/sq ft for tile vs Allure.
    If I went with the tile-look Allure, it looks like its about $3 plus another $2/sq ft for the install. So I'm at roughly the same price.

    If thats the case, is it better to have tile than Allure product that looks like tile? Both are pretty much water resistant for the most part.

    Or is Allure only really an alternative for laminate from a cost perspective?

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    i paid about $400 for the ceramic-like allure in the kitchen. took my handyman about 3-4 hours to install. total cost about $500 all in.

    it looks really nice. the contractors had never heard of it before but loved it. the tenant prospects love it too.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Porcelain tile is probably best from durability standpoint.

    But let's consider that you're covering over an existing floor. Backer plus tile will change the level of the new floor a bit more than using leveling compound and vinyl plank.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.