Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
13y
You'll get what you pay for. If you want a floor you might be able to get 5-20 years out of, go with allure and spend a few more dollars. If you want a floor that's toast after your tenant's kid spills a bunch of cool-aide, go with a laminate. After you work in the added time to install a laminate, you're barely saving any money, for an inferior floor. I have installed both of them, and allure is much faster and easier to do.
I'm not the biggest fan of its looks, but the people that have seen it have always told me they like it.
The most successful landlord I know has this product in many, many units.
Over time, with Allure, the savings are definately there.
On the short term, with laminate, pad and labor, the savings are, like I said, marginal.
Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
13y
You'll get what you pay for. If you want a floor you might be able to get 5-20 years out of, go with allure and spend a few more dollars. If you want a floor that's toast after your tenant's kid spills a bunch of cool-aide, go with a laminate. After you work in the added time to install a laminate, you're barely saving any money, for an inferior floor. I have installed both of them, and allure is much faster and easier to do.
I'm not the biggest fan of its looks, but the people that have seen it have always told me they like it.
The most successful landlord I know has this product in many, many units.
Over time, with Allure, the savings are definately there.
On the short term, with laminate, pad and labor, the savings are, like I said, marginal.
Carpenter · Mascoutah, IL · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 0 votes
13y
ive heard that the allure floor has the really bad chemical smell when you install it and the pergo havent heard anything bout a smell and its scratch resistant and easy to maintain hope this helps and it like 30.00 a bundle
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
13y
I just installed Allure in mine a few months ago and I've happy with it so far. It was easy to install and seems pretty durable. Like Dell Schlabach said the smell was an old issue with certain colors of Allure. Mine doesn't have any bad smells. This will definitely be my go to flooring.
Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
I've been using Allure for almost four years now. I like everything about it except the price. I can tell you a few stories about it. In 2009, I installed it in a kitchen. After the tenant moved in, there was a dishwasher malfunction. Floor was fine. Pergo would've been trashed.
In 2009, I had it installed in another house. There were some foundation issues and the floor heaved. Had to replace some sub floor and about 20 pieces of Allure. Pergo can't be replaced in pieces like that.
In 2010, I had Allure and new carpet installed in a house. Less than two years later, my filthy pig tenants moved out. The carpet was ruined, but the Allure still looked new.
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
I'm also a big Allure fan - just put it in a kitchen yesterday. The stuff that looks like tile is a bit more pricey ($2.09/ sq ft at HD) but the stuff that looks like ugly light-oak is cheaper at $1.59/sq ft.
I used it once in a bathroom - not a good choice. The moisture around the toilet made the glue unstick and peel up. I'll have to fix that someday.
Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
I just bought 24 boxes of Allure to install in my first rental property which we closed on last week. It will be installed and I will make sure I report back after installation with my initial thoughts.
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
13y
Lumber Liquidators - get a commercial account there so you get a discount, and you can buy the vinyl plank flooring they provide. You have to order with the commercial account people there, and then pick up in the local store to get that discount. Another thread here on BP already where somebody even posted the difference in pricing:
Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 5 votes
13y
I'm going with the Tranquility as it is the closest to Allure. It comes with a fifty year warranty even. Lumber Liquidators sale ended yesterday but they said they would extend it to me since I need such a large amount.
Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
13y
A friend of mine told me to check out Casa Moderna luxury vinyl flooring. I haven't been able to find it online. I saw a sample, and it looks good. It appears to be a snap together installation process. Has anyone used this?
Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
13y
I haven't installed Allure, but the PSA nature of it turned me off, I had bad experiences with vinyl PSA tiles. I've installed thousands of sq ft of laminate in my units, almost all from Costco, catch a sale and it's under $1.30/ft. It's a relabeled major brand, Quick Step if I recall.
I did my sons room 11 years ago and it still looks great. Last year I put it in a kitchen and used laminate glue in the joints to waterproof it. The fridge defroster leaked but there was no floor damage. Last year I also did another kitchen with a new product, vinyl click together boards from Lowes, easy install since you don't need a saw, just a knife like Allure.
I do beg to differ with Rob K on the repair of laminate, you certainly can simply dissemble the floor to the damaged pieces and re-lay it. Be sure to mark the pieces so you don't have to fumble around to get the right length. I had a unit where I had laid laminate in the kitchen around a cement pad for the ancient stove. When I really renovated some years later and moved the kitchen I simply removed the laminate back, busted out the pad, and re-laid the laminate in the whole area.
Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Johann Jells:
I do beg to differ with Rob K on the repair of laminate, you certainly can simply dissemble the floor to the damaged pieces and re-lay it. Be sure to mark the pieces so you don't have to fumble around to get the right length.
What if you were to do the entire house in Pergo and pieces number 1-3 get damaged? Do you disassemble the entire house to replace three pieces?
Residential Real Estate Broker · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2011 · 114 posts · 38 votes
13y
I used some Armstrong brand vinyl plank flooring that I found at Lowes on sale for .99 a square foot. I've never used Allure so I can't compare, but I was happy with the Armstrong.
Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
13y
Originally posted by Rob K:
Originally posted by Johann Jells:
I do beg to differ with Rob K on the repair of laminate, you certainly can simply dissemble the floor to the damaged pieces and re-lay it. Be sure to mark the pieces so you don't have to fumble around to get the right length.
What if you were to do the entire house in Pergo and pieces number 1-3 get damaged? Do you disassemble the entire house to replace three pieces?
If you did the whole house contiguously, you didn't follow the instructions! You're never supposed to lay it through doorways, or in sections larger than 25' in any direction, but need to use transition moldings to allow for expansion and contraction. I believe the same is true for Allure and any floating flooring. And if it really is 1 & 3, you can dissemble and reassemble from the rear, though it's trickier.
Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Jon P.:
I used some Armstrong brand vinyl plank flooring that I found at Lowes on sale for .99 a square foot. I've never used Allure so I can't compare, but I was happy with the Armstrong.
Peel and stick or floating? I did some cheaper peel and stick planks, but the seams don't look great a couple of years later.
Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
Steve Babiak Have you used that product from Lumber Liqiudators? If so, did you like it?
I clicked on the link that you provided. While I like the price, I've had problems with peel and stick tiles before. Those old people in the video are putting it down over a pretty nice floor. I don't think it would go over OSB the way that Allure does.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2011 · 114 posts · 38 votes
13y
Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
Originally posted by Jon P.:
I used some Armstrong brand vinyl plank flooring that I found at Lowes on sale for .99 a square foot. I've never used Allure so I can't compare, but I was happy with the Armstrong.
Peel and stick or floating? I did some cheaper peel and stick planks, but the seams don't look great a couple of years later.
Jon, the Armstrong product I used was floating. The planks stick to each other but not the subfloor.
Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
For another alternative floating floor product, check out Surplus Warehouse for pricing.... We bought a palate of the vinyl floating floor product when they had their annual (semi-annual?) sale so the cost was less than half the HD or Lowes equivalent. Our cost was about 1.10/sq.ft. if I recall correctly. Great product for imperfect floors w/o taking up old floor.
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Rob K:
Steve Babiak Have you used that product from Lumber Liqiudators? If so, did you like it?
I clicked on the link that you provided. While I like the price, I've had problems with peel and stick tiles before. Those old people in the video are putting it down over a pretty nice floor. I don't think it would go over OSB the way that Allure does.
I haven't yet used their product. I agree on peel-n-stick that it usually needs glue too; that was the case on last time I had that type of product.
LL has other types of vinyl plank; I just put link to one from another thread that somebody else was considering to get a starting point. Pick some other options to get click together planks, and different plank width and thickness:
Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
We put Allure in our first rental and I really like it so far. Our contractor put it down very quickly and I like the fact that I do not have to worry too much about the floors. They appear to be very resilient, they are not damaged by water, and the look works for the price-point we are working within.
I would not use this in a flip, but I think it works well for the rental we purchased. I am interested to see how it holds up over time.
Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y
I think I've seen it mentioned but if one of the planks in the allure is damaged, is it correct that you can simply replace it without having to pull up all the other planks?
Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
Mike, I've done it. The thin part that sticks to the other plank will probably break off when you peel out the damaged piece. You just need to scrape it off with a putty knife. Not a big deal.