Have you ever given a tenants deposit back too early?

Have you ever given a tenants deposit back too early?

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes

Have you ever given a tenants deposit back too early and then discovered damages upon further review?

What were they and why did you miss them?

Also did you send them a bill?

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y

Very early on, I had a tenant ask if I could refund half his deposit the day he moved out because he really needed the gas money. I would still have the other half for cleaning. I agreed even though my gut told me not to.

Sure enough, he moved out and I discovered the 9-month-old carpet was trashed in the living room. He was a short-order cook and tracked grease in on his shoes every day, leaving a track right down the living room and bedroom carpet that could not be cleaned. $1800 in repairs and I had $300 from his deposit.

Don't even use the deposit for anything when the tenant lives there. Don't ever refund a dime until the tenant is completely out, has returned the keys, and you've inspected in detail.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Very early on, I had a tenant ask if I could refund half his deposit the day he moved out because he really needed the gas money. I would still have the other half for cleaning. I agreed even though my gut told me not to.

    Sure enough, he moved out and I discovered the 9-month-old carpet was trashed in the living room. He was a short-order cook and tracked grease in on his shoes every day, leaving a track right down the living room and bedroom carpet that could not be cleaned. $1800 in repairs and I had $300 from his deposit.

    Don't even use the deposit for anything when the tenant lives there. Don't ever refund a dime until the tenant is completely out, has returned the keys, and you've inspected in detail.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan W.:

    Have you ever given a tenants deposit back too early and then discovered damages upon further review?

    What were they and why did you miss them?

    Also did you send them a bill?

     Never give the deposit back until you've done a complete inspection of the unit post tenant move out. You can send bills but the reality is the majority of tenants don't pay them and it isn't worth the hassle to litigate. More often than not what you've got in the deposit is all you're ever going to get out of these folks.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I agree with the others about not returning the deposit until you've done an inspection. In most cases you should be able to do it shortly after they move out and return it.  The only exceptions might be when there is damage and you need quotes and time to get it repaired.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I'm with the others before me.  No deposit is returned until an inspection is completed; we meet with the tenant with the move-in inspection report and photos in hand - and then complete the departure inspection.  And, that's after it's completely empty. I know of landlords who have inspected before/during the moving process to later discover that something didn't quite make it out the door.  

    There's just some things that need to be chalked up to "Lesson Learned."  To err is human, to repeat that same err is just stupid...

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Watt

    In Iowa we have 30 days to refund. I generally use most of that 30 days. Even after they move out and you do an inspection, things might be found later, like during a move in inspection of new tenant.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Wick that’s pretty much what I’m afraid of, someone moving in and discovering such n such. Tenants seem to like to ask with authority when they will be getting their deposit back. Using most of the 30 days sounds more wise then telling them sooner. Ty

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    6y

    @Patricia Steiner that’s funny. I have one tenant who ask we do a walk through and gave an extra early notice so I am happy about that. I know with the amount I am going to do come a few days, I will miss something so I appreciate the feed back. Yeah I agree not touching the deposit until move out but it’s funny the way tenants ask me when the deposit will be return has the tone of, “everyone who I’ve left a deposit for has been a pain in my *** so give it to me straight”

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    6y

    My first move-out I looked over the apartment while the tenant was standing there expecting his deposit, so I gave it to him. The next day I got an angry call from the neighbor about the trash he had left in the yard!  Live and learn. Now I tell them in advance not to expect the refund that day, and I never inspect with a tenant breathing down my neck!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G. Only a chef can fool your gut.

    what a bum, lol gas money, more like drive thru money.

    Yeah, for the original post I am more worried about flat out missing something. I never could imagine some tracking cooking grease around a house. Once again, what a bum.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    6y

    @James Wise that’s how my last roommate felt about our damage bill. I called to pay the bill the minute I got it(roommate was already behind in rent so I didn’t expect help)

    They wanted to charge me interest...lol

    If someone has a very good or higher credit score, why not settle with them first? I’m sure that 3rd party collections company got a decent cut of the collected amount, something the management company could have gotten on first attempt. Zzz

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Watt

    Yes, I learned, confirm all utilities in your name (that tenant was responsible for) are paid.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 122 votes
    6y

    I agree with @Anthony Wick.  Each States time frame is different but I wouldn't mail a deposit out any earlier then a few days before the cut off.  I make sure to verify that the final water bill is paid before sending it out since in Iowa it follows the property and not the person.  Nothing worse then finding a few hundred dollars in utilities after you send back the deposit.  No matter how thorough your move out inspection some items you just can't see until someone lives in the house.  Use all the time you have and don't feel pressured to send it back until you are completely satisfied.

    Last note some tenants ask for items in writing before they move out.  I did that once and never will I make the same mistake again.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.