I don't have a heart, just in reality

I don't have a heart, just in reality

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 359 posts · 158 votes

Between my commercial and residential properties, over a dozen tenants have already reached out to me about upcoming rents.  If this is the first time tenants have issues paying their rents in your case, consider yourself very lucky and Kudos to you for finding excellent people.  I have not been so blessed, so I have created a process. The process is to achieve two goals.  First is to collect rents and second to keep the property in good condition. Feel free to use all, part or none of it.  But please tell me what you think.  Here goes...

1- Listen to them.  Give them the opportunity to talk.  Understand it isn't easy for them to come to you and share their situation.  Thank them for being proactive.  Show empathy.  

2- Ask them questions to get a better understanding of their situation.  Don't belittle people by saying "Why is this my fault" or "Why didn't you plan for this".  You can use this part to make sure their story is consistent.  

3- Share with them your position.  This is where I would tell them that I have investors (I never tell them that I am the "owner") that are depending on the income (rent) to pay debts and their livelihood. I want to let them know that they are not dealing with a "big corporation" with billions of dollars in the bank.  They are dealing with real people that worked, saved and took risks.

4- Find out how much they can pay.  Now you showed that you care about them, their situation and they know that you are human. This is what everything comes down to.  Personally, I have asked for half of April and May rents paid on time and the balance to be paid out over the remaining term of the lease.  One lease I had to give an extension.  I have also asked them to do extra things around the properties while they are home.  Things like deep cleanings, clean gutters, change air filters, paint (if I buy the paint).  All of these improve their standard of living while my properties are in better shape and I have people who have a better connection to the property.

Now you are asking why should landlords work w/ tenants when we all have contracts that should be lived up to?  Good question.  No, I'm not doing this b/c it's nice to be nice.  I'm doing it b/c business is business.  For the most part is that YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION!  Most places wont evict for next 60 days, chances to find people in better situation is not likely, getting some rents with potential of getting all later is better than getting none now and none later and if they see you like a jerk then they wont care about your property.

If landlords are living rent pmt to rent pmt, then we are in no better position than the tenants we criticize.  In fact we are in a worse situation as we have to replace roofs, change HVAC, fix appliances and make sure the properties are always in good shape.  WE ARE THE PROFESSIONALS.  Now is the time to act like it.

18Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
6y
recognizing the reality of the situation is key..  taking the hard line stance is going to hurt far more than it will help landlords.  but many are new and just dont know what they dont know. 
See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sandy, OR · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    That's a reasonable compromise to take, asking your tenants to do some maintenance activities in exchange for the deferment. That said, you could get horribly bitten by malicious tenants in the event they have an "accident", or you may incur damage to the unit in the event they slip and tear off the gutter when trying to deep clean it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Navarre, FL · Member since 2019 · 913 posts · 640 votes
    6y

    @Bill F. @Jill F. Are you guys related? Kidding. 

    @Josh Bakhshi Great post thank you. No. 4 is the gold. When they say they can't pay, what they mean is, they can't pay all of it. I just sent a renewal letter to one of my tenants. While I don't want to say that they can negotiate rent, I still wanted them to know there's a lifeline so I put this in it:

    "COVID-19 information:During this time we understand that some of our tenants may have difficulties with work and making rent payments. We’d like to advise that rent is still due and payable, and if you are experiencing difficulties paying rent, you need to reach out to us. If you have lost your job, there are options available such as unemployment, and many companies are hiring to meet the changing demands of this dynamic situation.

    Here is a list of companies reported to be hiring in the St. Louis area: QuiktTrip, Sonic, Papa John’s, Schnucks, Dierbergs, Horstmann Brothers, Delmar Gardens, Dirt Cheap, Mobil gas stations, Aldi, Fresh Thyme, Domino’s, Pizza Hut, Amazon, Save-A-Lot, Walmart, Big Lots, Lowes and Home Depot.

    Thank you so much for being a valued tenant"

    I was just winging it when I wrote it today, reflecting on some of the ideas I've picked up from BP. 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    As the virus accelerates, so does the slowdown of the economy.  Most likely, we are going to have three months of trouble as landlords.  The next five days is crucial for me, to see how many rents come in.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2019 · 61 posts · 64 votes
    6y

    @Josh Bakhshi

    Thank you for taking the time and sharing Josh! I have 65 doors and this is very helpful. Best of luck, we will all get thru this!

  • Specialist · Owings Mills, MD · Member since 2017 · 485 posts · 415 votes
    6y

    @Josh Bakhshi

    I applaud the thoroughness of your post and would like to add the following.
    . Any change in lease terms requested by a tenant because of COVID-19 deeds to be documented via a lease modification signed by Landlord and Tenant or else you risk ending up in a he said/she said situation if it ever goes to court.
    . If a tenant asks for a lease modification because of a loss of job permanent/temp/reduction in hours/reduction in pay. Make sure the Tenant provides documentation. 
    . Don't make the assumption your tenants can't pay rent because of a temporary loss of job. Recheck their lease application. Anyone with large balance savings or 410K balances can and should pay their lease.
    . Process late notices as normal. Again this is just documenting according to terms of the lease.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 359 posts · 158 votes
    6y

    @Brian Van Pelt

    Well said

  • Investor · Chicago IL · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    This is very helpful thanks @Josh Bakhshi

  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 587 posts · 269 votes
    6y

    @Josh Bakhshi Thank you for putting into words what I've been feeling. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.