Port Richey, FL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 48 votes
So I have decided to take a reactive approach to dealing with and handling the covid issue at hand. I decided why confuse the situation with a strategy for my tenants that may or may not require help. I have been fortunate that all my tenants have paid except one. Because I trained my tenants to call me ahead of time with issues and confront the issue, instead of lying or avoiding them, that is exactly what my tenant that could not pay the rent did. He called me and said he has $500 that he is giving me tomorrow and once his unemployment starts up he will pay me the $100 balance. At this point I asked questions if he was being impacted by the covid issue. I also informed him that because this is an act of god/nature and out of our control that I would be waving late fee's. He was surprised and grateful.
Real Estate Investor · Chattahoochee, FL · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 107 votes
6y
Good for you. Anything we can do to help people will come back in spades. People will remember how LL's treated tenants during this crisis and the more goodwill we can build up the better.
Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
6y
That is great. We had several tenants not being able to pay and each was absolutely trying to pay, but was laid off and unemployment has not come through yet. We are also allowing payment plans and no late fees. We are all in this one. This is not an issue of crappy tenants scamming the system. These were all excellent tenants and will get on their feet again once they can get back to work. Happy to have more people staying at home to beat this virus right now.