I know when screening tenants you can’t choose based on race, gender, disability etc. Can you choose based on income and job? Are these legal discrimination because you can argue some are more secure and nearer etc? For example, I’m not sure if your allowed to do this but could you be choosing key workers over non key workers as key workers may still be working and able to afford rent?
Investor · Midwest · Member since 2019 · 337 posts · 226 votes
6y
@Account Closed you can choose based on income requirements i.e. tenant must make 3x the rent. You can choose based on credit history, and eviction history. Your criteria should be equal across the board to prevent a discrimination claim.
I personally don't think you can determine based on "where" they work i.e. Ford vs. Ruth Chris Steakhouse. Key word is personally.
Look at your State's housing / discrimination policy it'll give you the boundaries.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
I know when screening tenants you can’t choose based on race, gender, disability etc. Can you choose based on income and job? Are these legal discrimination because you can argue some are more secure and nearer etc? For example, I’m not sure if your allowed to do this but could you be choosing key workers over non key workers as key workers may still be working and able to afford rent?
Yes, you can. The question is, should you?
For example, there's no law against renting to professional bull riders but I won't do it because they are typically not good with finances or maintaining a rental. I don't put that in my advertising, but I'll do my best to find a way to reject them (it's usually not hard).
Real Estate Agent · CT · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 6 votes
6y
I would strongly recommend you review your state laws on this. There is a good little chunk of knowledge that’s required so as to not get yourself sued. For example there are different numbers of protected classes depending on your state.
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
I know when screening tenants you can’t choose based on race, gender, disability etc. Can you choose based on income and job? Are these legal discrimination because you can argue some are more secure and nearer etc? For example, I’m not sure if your allowed to do this but could you be choosing key workers over non key workers as key workers may still be working and able to afford rent?