Colorado property manager will not show vacant rental

Colorado property manager will not show vacant rental

Real Estate Agent · Schertz, TX · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 15 votes

We lost our tenants in our rental property in Colorado Springs. They moved out early and paid lease break fee but the property manager has not made any effort to list the property for rent even after several discussions about getting it listed.  We do need to get some repairs done and paint but she will not show until the Corona virus quarantine has been lifted.  How many other investors have come across this and what can we do to force action?  I know this company fairly well as a few years ago before I moved back to south Texas, I was the maintenance coordinator.  

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 7 votes
6y

@Andrew Blackmon

Reach out to @Colin Smith if you would like a great property manager. His team is awesome. They manage my properties. Colin recently commented on this post. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Dustin Blackmon, they are unwilling to do virtual or lockbox showings too?  I.e. no contact with a potential tenant.

    This came up on another post, I believe in this forum.  You can continue to try to offer options to them, or you can terminate their contract and find a new management company.  Or at minimum, find another leasing agent.  

    I do not know every state's/locality's current directives, but housing is likely still an essential business that can continue to be conducted.  This current situation just takes a little more creativity to help people feel safe, while also getting business done.

  • Property Manager · Arcadia, CA · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    You have photos from before?  

    Legit property management companies are set up to do unattended showings with a technology partner like Rently.  We do this in Los Angeles as no owners nor prospects want to risk contact, and so even if we have occupied units, tenants step out for an hour and prospects are given access and instructions not to touch anything in the unit, and to wear mask and gloves.  Everyone is being very safe here.  

  • Colin SmithBusiness Member
    Realtor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 987 posts · 447 votes
    6y

    We are still showing and leasing our Property Management portfolio in Colorado Springs. Thankfully we already implemented technologies like Matterport 3D Virtual Tours which allows us to show occupied units without actually having to send anyone in and Tenant Turner for vacant units. Both are working great for us right now despite what is going on around us.

  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Blackmon

    Reach out to @Colin Smith if you would like a great property manager. His team is awesome. They manage my properties. Colin recently commented on this post. Good luck!

  • Colin SmithBusiness Member
    Realtor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 987 posts · 447 votes
    6y

    Thank you for the recommendation @Phil Falcini!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If it needs repairs and painting, why isn't that able to be accomplished now?

  • Real Estate Agent · Schertz, TX · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @John Teachout

    I am asking the same thing as we head back into this next week. I am reaching back out again to the property manager and see if we can get someOne out to get this place on the market . They have a preferred handyman that they control and are way over priced as it’s part of the property management company. I currently flip homes in south Texas and I am begging for a reason to go up there and complete a few repairs as we are in between tenants. Unfortunately the Corona virus has us on lock down with our kids.

    I will reach out to Colin and see what options he may have.

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hi @Dustin Blackmon, 

    I'm a property manager here in CT and while I'm not here to provide cover for your PM, I do want to share a bit of what we are experiencing in our local market. We do have a couple of vacant units at this time. In 1 case The owner has asked us to let things blow over. In the other they have been pushing us to get it rented. 

    Connecticut is one of the hot spots on the East coast, so there are a few questions that we have to ask ourselves before going out and showing units:

    1. Is it possible that other tenants in the building could be impacted by a prospective tenant coming to look at the unit? Is there liability here if a tenant contracts the virus and believes they got it from a prospective tenant?

    2. Where do you stand on this from an ethics standpoint? I feel very strongly about not showing units at this time in order to not propagate the virus. We have a stay at home policy in effect in our state right now, and I do not want to encourage folks to leave just to see an apartment.

    3. Even with no contact showings, are we sending somebody in to wipe down the unit in between showings? It is known that this virus can last on certain surfaces for hours, and in some cases days. How can we ensure the safety of everyone involved?

    4. Virtual showings can be costly, and while they are a great tool, many tenants will simply not be willing to sign until they view the unit.

    Like I said, I am in no way trying to provide cover for your property manager. Just some thoughts that I personally have had over the last few weeks as I have watched this pandemic really take a foothold in neighboring states (NY). Have you asked your property manager why he or she has not listed it? Perhaps they feel that they can be liable, and therefore maybe offering them a signed identification or hold harmless agreement regarding this situation would solve your issues. 

    Good luck!

  • Colin SmithBusiness Member
    Realtor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 987 posts · 447 votes
    6y

    I thought I should give a quick update specific to Colorado. Colorado Association of Realtors just stated last night the Stay-At-Home order does not exempt in-person showings from the order. This would mean that if a Landlord or Property Manager is not already setup for self-viewings or virtual showings then you're going to have to wait it out. To make matters a bit worse for those who can't get their units leased, Colorado just extended their stay at home order to 4/26. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Schertz, TX · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Thank you for the update Colin.  I appreciate the update on the Real Estate market in Colorado Springs.  I do also understand the reason for the stay at home order but its hard to bleed money and hope there are no homeless people camping out in the home.  

  • Colin SmithBusiness Member
    Realtor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 987 posts · 447 votes
    6y

    @Dustin Blackmon - I totally understand and feel the same way about my own vacant property. The state is coming out with more information hopefully today or tomorrow. They are significantly restricting what we are able to do and not to do in the real state business. They have not clarified the specifics yet but are possibly restricting to the point we cannot do photoshoots. We will see what they say and I'll try to bring an update to this forum. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
    6y

    Virtual showings are happening on vacant properties.   Alternatively, they could open te door for people and then close up after the people are done walking through.  no contact.   

    Doesn't seem like they are adapting to the situation.

  • Property Manager · Henderson, NV · Member since 2018 · 501 posts · 317 votes
    6y

    In my opinion the property manager should at least present some solutions.  Providing virtual tours, etc... 

    We all have to adapt and make modifications to our leasing process. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.